He ain’t come to play school

Weird thing is it's not like Bennett is/was a surefire NFL prospect, so it would have been wise for him to pick up a degree or two. That said he's probably a big enough celebrity in Athens now that he won't have trouble finding a job in that area.
Or more likely… he just didn’t care / think about it…

Absolutely, but who is incentivized to "catch" it?
I'm not trying to sound like a smart alec, just wanted to preface with that. I'd just assume that whoever decided to write up that rule(s) that @Gophers_4life posted (40% by this date, 60% by that date etc) would be the one who cares.

Clearly just for show, I guess.

That said he's probably a big enough celebrity in Athens now that he won't have trouble finding a job in that area.
I've always wondered what that's like. I mean, going from the starting QB on the NC team to interviewing for entry level work when you have no skills.

Absolutely, but who is incentivized to "catch" it?

The NCAA wants to make money through athletics.
Georgia wants to win football games.
Stetson Bennett clearly didn't care - he was there to play football.
Also, like most (all?) of NCAA infractions, they don't have anyone proactively looking to see if there are violations. They just react when someone makes an allegation. I think ...

Weird thing is it's not like Bennett is/was a surefire NFL prospect, so it would have been wise for him to pick up a degree or two. That said he's probably a big enough celebrity in Athens now that he won't have trouble finding a job in that area.
Bringing the Bulldogs a couple of National Titles, he's on "scholarship" for life in UGA Nation as long as he doesn't do anything really stupid.

Bringing the Bulldogs a couple of National Titles, he's on "scholarship" for life in UGA Nation as long as he doesn't do anything really stupid.
Well he already has done something really stupid, but I think it will take a lot more than that to ruin his standing in Athens.

‘Ol Tex will surely take care of him

He'll never find work in the TC area that's for sure!

NCAA guidelines on degree progress:

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2021/2/10/student-athletes-current-staying-track-graduate.aspx

Division I

• 40 percent of required coursework for a degree must be complete by the end of the second year, 60 percent by the end of the third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year.
  • Student-athletes are allowed five years of eligibility and athletically related financial aid.
  • All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements related to the school’s GPA standards for graduation.

If all you had to do to circumvent this was change your major .... I mean isn't that pretty obvious way to circumvent these requirements? Seems like they would've thought of that.

Maybe an exception for covid was granted.
Cleveland State is going to get hammered with sanctions again.

Just curious - how would one organization (NCAA) possibly go about verifying the academic eligibility for every college athlete, at every institution, in every sport at every level? So you require the institution to report on some regular basis - would you accept what they submit? It seems a fools errand. :unsure: I guess that would be perfect for the NCAA.

Just curious - how would one organization (NCAA) possibly go about verifying the academic eligibility for every college athlete, at every institution, in every sport at every level? So you require the institution to report on some regular basis - would you accept what they submit? It seems a fools errand. :unsure: I guess that would be perfect for the NCAA.
Each school is required to have a "compliance officer" or some such. I would guess they're required to submit a report every semester or something along those lines.

Then guessing an actual investigation on happens if a violation is alleged.

Top Bottom