He ain’t come to play school

The NCAA has rules in place requiring that the credits you take are accumulating towards a bachelor's degree. IE you can't just take a bunch of 1000 level classes every semester that don't add up to anything.

So I wonder if he earned enough credits to complete a bachelor's in some program, but then for whatever reason simply didn't graduate with one during his time there?

But then that would mean he could apply to receive a bachelor's at any time now.

So something fishy is going on if he literally doesn't have enough credits to have finished a bachelor's.

Seems to be reported in multiple spots but no one has reported an actual degree that I've seen.

I’m sure UGA will invent some Bachelor of Arts in Independent Studies and award it to him before the end of the week.

I read that this was BS and he was working on an advanced degree. No clue which is accurate.

As of the 2023 CFP National Championship game he did not have "Graduate" on his SEC uniform badge

It's particularly bad considering most CFB players stay around for the summer and take classes.

Jalen Hurts is a year younger, has been in the NFL for 3 seasons, and has his masters by now.

Let's be honest, if they keep winning National Championships the UG fans don't care if anyone graduates. There might be a few administrators who are embarrassed, but then someone will show them the checks the alumni are writing.

It's possible he switched degrees, and there wasn't enough overlap in required courses for him to "finish" either degree in 4 years, but 6 years is a bit odd to not have some degree if you were taking classes full time and had the academic planning support that I'm sure all student athletes have access to.

It's possible he switched degrees, and there wasn't enough overlap in required courses for him to "finish" either degree in 4 years, but 6 years is a bit odd to not have some degree if you were taking classes full time and had the academic planning support that I'm sure all student athletes have access to.
Maybe if he eventually gets a major finished he’ll have like 7 minors 🤷‍♂️

There’s only two possibilities I can think of. He legitimately changed his major at least 3 times or he just took the easiest most random classes he could without any real direction.

There’s only two possibilities I can think of. He legitimately changed his major at least 3 times or he just took the easiest most random classes he could without any real direction.
NCAA guidelines on degree progress:

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2021/2/10/student-athletes-current-staying-track-graduate.aspx

Division I

• 40 percent of required coursework for a degree must be complete by the end of the second year, 60 percent by the end of the third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year.
  • Student-athletes are allowed five years of eligibility and athletically related financial aid.
  • All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements related to the school’s GPA standards for graduation.

If all you had to do to circumvent this was change your major .... I mean isn't that pretty obvious way to circumvent these requirements? Seems like they would've thought of that.

Maybe an exception for covid was granted.

NCAA guidelines on degree progress:

https://www.ncaa.org/sports/2021/2/10/student-athletes-current-staying-track-graduate.aspx

Division I

• 40 percent of required coursework for a degree must be complete by the end of the second year, 60 percent by the end of the third year and 80 percent by the end of their fourth year.
  • Student-athletes are allowed five years of eligibility and athletically related financial aid.
  • All Division I student-athletes must earn at least six credit hours each term to be eligible for the following term and must meet minimum grade-point average requirements related to the school’s GPA standards for graduation.

If all you had to do to circumvent this was change your major .... I mean isn't that pretty obvious way to circumvent these requirements? Seems like they would've thought of that.

Maybe an exception for covid was granted.
That would be true if the NCAA cared about what happens to athletes after they get done playing.

That would be true if the NCAA cared about what happens to athletes after they get done playing.
I think the point @Gophers_4life was trying to make was they should have been able to catch that "in real-time" during his playing days, like "why are you changing your major so often, just to stay eligible?" - as opposed to looking into it now, after he's done playing in college.

I think the point @Gophers_4life was trying to make was they should have been able to catch that "in real-time" during his playing days, like "why are you changing your major so often, just to stay eligible?" - as opposed to looking into it now, after he's done playing in college.
Absolutely, but who is incentivized to "catch" it?

The NCAA wants to make money through athletics.
Georgia wants to win football games.
Stetson Bennett clearly didn't care - he was there to play football.

Weird thing is it's not like Bennett is/was a surefire NFL prospect, so it would have been wise for him to pick up a degree or two. That said he's probably a big enough celebrity in Athens now that he won't have trouble finding a job in that area.

Top Bottom