Hayo update?

awag777

Second Row of Williams Arena
Reaction score
Has Hayo Carpenter slid down the depth chart? Relegated to special teams? Or am I just not paying enough attention. I was shocked Da'jon McKnight (spelling probably wrong) got more touches as Decker's replacement in the offensive explosion against MSU. Carpenter was someone I had a lot of hopes for coming into the year and to say that the expectations have no come to fruition is an understatement. :confused:

Hayo's been disappointing so far, but I hope it is just the adjustment from JUCO ball to the Big Ten. My own personal belief is that it really hurts a JUCO kid if they can't make it in for spring ball and workout in the summmer preceding their first year with their new team. As for McKnight getting time, he's a much bigger receiver than Carpenter, and makes for a better replacement for Decker. Carpenter would be competing with Stoudermire, and to a lesser extent Green, to get on the field.

I think it's big that the JUCO CB Lewis will be enrolling at the U for spring semester.

Hayo's been disappointing so far, but I hope it is just the adjustment from JUCO ball to the Big Ten. My own personal belief is that it really hurts a JUCO kid if they can't make it in for spring ball and workout in the summmer preceding their first year with their new team. As for McKnight getting time, he's a much bigger receiver than Carpenter, and makes for a better replacement for Decker. Carpenter would be competing with Stoudermire, and to a lesser extent Green, to get on the field.

I think it's big that the JUCO CB Lewis will be enrolling at the U for spring semester.

Spot on. It is very disappointing when JUCO's don't make it in for spring ball as this very much hinders their ability to acclimate, and when one comes in as late as Hayo...yeesh. He was scarcely here before the first practice if I recall... Further, it seems he, like Pittman, may have been a little over-sold in the speed area which leads to...
TCF_Stadium_opener_142.jpg
[had to post this once more as it sums up the pitfalls of highly touted jucos so succinctly!]

At least Hayo sees the field which is encouraging so with more time he could contribute next year. His speed was over rated.

I think he's just having trouble learning the playbook.

I still we'll eventually hear from Hayo by the time the season is done. The guy gained 3000 yards in Juco ball. He has to have a lot of talent!

Another example of how the Rivals/Scout star ratings can tease fans...still early but looks like 4 star rated and 2 star performance

Give him time, anyone that gained 3000 yards can catch the ball.

Hayo's playing like a 4 star freshman, as opposed to a 4 star JUCO, which likely is a result of him not getting in until like fall practices started. He was screwed at that point. If he takes what he's learned this season, works hard in the offseason, he could maybe come back and be the dynamic player many thought he could be based on his production at the JUCO level.

I think many guys come in thinking it will be an easy transition when it's obviously not. Juco ball can be very good, but still not the same as Big Ten football. I'm sure he realizes that there are things he has to work on and will do that this off-season. They always say that players jump the most production-wise from freshman to sophomore season. Hopefully we see that out of Hayo after having one year under his belt.

Hate to say I told you so but I told you so. Mcknight, Green, Stoudamire are all better than Hayo. I look for Victor Kiese, Bryant Allen, Marquise Hill, and Chris Hawkins to emerge next season, not Hayo.

I think the misleading thing about JUCOs is they come in more ready to play. In regard to physical development, there is a truth there, along with extra playing time from JC, but it is still not to the same level as Div 1. It takes the first year to adjust. Not writing off this year, but at least by next year, all the players will have a year under Fisch's offense, so we should have a better idea how the offense works and how it will all come together.

I think Fargo Flash mentioned that when carpenter got here, he just plain wasn't as fast as the coaches thought, they thought he was legit 4.3 - 4.4, and had tape to prove it playing against JUCO teams, but he got here and just wasn't as fast as they thought, Bryant Allen is the true speedster in our receiving core, look for him to take over the role Carpenter was supposed to have.

Simoni Lawrence didn't need a year to adjust. Neither did BPT (he actually played better last year than this year). I think it's evident within the first three games of a JUCO's first year whether or not they will contribute.

I also think Simoni and BPT were in here for summer if not earlier, not right at the start of fall practice. Also, they were playing in a very vanilla Ted Roof defense, not a complex pro-style Jedd Fisch offense. It isn't exactly apples to apples.

does pittman ever see the field? I think I have seen a number 9 out there before, but I would be wrong.

He had another drop early in the season. After a couple last year, I think that sealed his fate.

Hayo just insn't very good. Simple as that. You know what? That's fine. We don't need to make any excuses for him. He's not an 18 year old Freshman. He's been out of high school for 3+ years. If he can't handle a college playbook by now, he never will.

We are seeing typical hits & misses on juco players. We were not alone in offering them, so I don't pin the blame on Brew & Co. Pin the blame on the players and the rating services if anything.

Paris Hamilton was a really good reciever in juco ranks and did well at the U.

Hamilton averaged almost 50 yards a catch his last year at the U.

Hayp looked good on film and had other very good offers. Don't know what the issue is but he just seems very stiff and not that fast.

In their defense, Hamilton and Pittman both suffered injuries that can really be hard to overcome as receivers.

Hayp looked good on film and had other very good offers. Don't know what the issue is but he just seems very stiff and not that fast.

He just doesn't have any confidence right now and that was evident when he made that catch and allowed the Wisconsin lineman to run him down. He is just very hesitant and hesitant doesn't get you anywhere in division 1 football especially on the offensive side of the ball.

Carpenter should have been red-shirted this season because of his late arrival. Players can't show up in August and be expected to learn a new offensive system in a couple weeks and then be expected to perform. It takes months of repetition on the part of the QB's and WR's to get the timing of the routes let alone get used to one another's speed and moves. Hayo obviously has the talent, he just needed the time to learn an entire new offense. Weber is still learning this new offense and probably won't have it down until next spring-summer. Grey played spring ball and had a summer camp to learn this offense and he is probably a year away from being comfortable and confident enough to run it. Carpenter should be counted on to make plays next season but he should have been red-shirted this year. IMHO only.

you can't really RS JUCO's. They don't want to take a RS and other JUCOs probably won't be that interested if you do so. He definitely could've benefitted from one, but on the other hand if he really just isn't that good that's just another scholly you can't use for an extra year

I love how everyone blames Hayo not playing on him arriving in August. If he was talented he would make plays, plain and simple. This wait for next year attitude never worked for pittman and it probably won't work for hayo. Even tough I would love to be proven wrong, or be told I was wrong by Hayos dad.

Simoni Lawrence didn't need a year to adjust. Neither did BPT (he actually played better last year than this year). I think it's evident within the first three games of a JUCO's first year whether or not they will contribute.

I am not arguing that Hayo has been dissappointing and I haven't seen anything which would lead me to believe he will be succesful next season. But your point isn't neccesarily true...

Cedric McKinley improved a lot from last year to this year. He didn't get his first tackle until almost November last season. He has turned out to be an ok player for us (starter). Heck, he even emerged a lot going into the bowl game last season.

Top Bottom