HawkeyeReport.com: Jerry Kill=Classless????

Gopher6

Reaction score
Trolling some other B1G boards during my break today and came across this "jewel::

http://iowa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=804&tid=166249388&mid=166249388&sid=940&style=2

Kindof bewildered me, but moreso amused me at the how the posters were ripping each other out for their seeming lack of sentance and grammar structure. Must be the in-breeding that goes on down there...

But on a serious note, did anyone who saw the game feel that we were running up the score? I mean I'll admit the game was probably already in hand by the 4th quarter. I honestly didn't feel that way. And besides this was mostly our backups getting some good playing time.

Trolling some other B1G boards during my break today and came across this "jewel::

http://iowa.rivals.com/showmsg.asp?fid=804&tid=166249388&mid=166249388&sid=940&style=2

Kindof bewildered me, but moreso amused me at the how the posters were ripping each other out for their seeming lack of sentance and grammar structure. Must be the in-breeding that goes on down there...

But on a serious note, did anyone who saw the game feel that we were running up the score? I mean I'll admit the game was probably already in hand by the 4th quarter. I honestly didn't feel that way. And besides this was mostly our backups getting some good playing time.

They maybe could have taken a knee on the last possession. If it had been Nelson scoring the touchdown instead of Leidner I may have taken exception. It was the kids first college touchdown.

It was all about getting Leidner (among others) some snaps and game action. There was nothing wrong with it. I guarantee that Hauck knew what Kill was trying to accomplish and didn't care.

Anyone who thinks we ran up the score did not watch the game and is just reacting to the final score. All they need to do is take one look at our offensive numbers, specifically passing totals, to know we were not running it up.

I wondered why he did that. something must have irked him from last yr UNLV game

Who cares. It's about time we were accused of running up the score.

They probably could have taken a knee, but like others said, it was the 2nd team getting action. On UNLV last drive, wasn't it their 1st team O versus our 2nd team D?? Pretty sure the 'dogs were called off'

I feel the same way about the Gophers "running up the score" as I do about opponents doing it to the Gophers, find a way to stop it and you will have nothing to complain about.

It kinda just seemed like one idiot trying to make a stupid point and everyone else just making fun of him.

I hate to admit it, but not all Hawk fans are like Pantherhawk or Oinksmith from this thread. It's going to get harder to get the "Who hates Iowa" chant going once we roll over them again and take Floyd back.

I feel the same way about the Gophers "running up the score" as I do about opponents doing it to the Gophers, find a way to stop it and you will have nothing to complain about.

Only time I ever have an issue with running things up is when a team is chucking deep passes when the game is well in hand. Otherwise I agree, if you are just running your offense and the other team can't stop you then that is on them not you.

Thanks, guys. Totally agree with what you all are saying. Aside from the offense-which really wasn't terrible-it was definitely an enjoyable game and a refreshing overall performance. Like I said, I was more amused at the direction this thread was going.

Absolute bullish!t. They needed to make a statement and the Gophers did that. They came out and put points on the board (a lot of points). I applaud it.

On the last drive, there were 6 rushing plays, and 0 passes. If they hadn't given up a 60 yard run, the Gophers wouldn't have scored again. If the Gophers had been throwing bombs or using trick plays late, it might have been a different matter, but there was no running up the score.

With the previous TD, the Gophers got the ball on the UNLV 37 yard line.

Never...take...a...knee...unless you have a one score lead or less--and for ball security only. Run the ball. It actually takes more time off the clock. If you can't stop the second and third stringers, you shouldn't be on the field anyway.

Spot on. I have tried to calm my buddies down plenty of times when they complain about the other team scoring that late with a big lead over us. Its the defense's job to stop the offense, not the offense's.

Every situation has to be judged on its own merits. My gut tells me that Kill is trying to build confidence and depth for this team. By allowing the 2nd-team offense to go in and score, that will accomplish both goals.

What Kill did is not like Bulimia and the infamous 2-point conversion. That was rubbing it in.

if you want to see teams run it up, check some of the HS FB scores in MN. In my area, there were games Thurs night that finished with scores like 76-14 and 66-8. On a different message board, I've complained about teams running it up, and the supporters of those teams always say that "you have to let the reserves run the regular offense to prepare them for future playing time."

This..

Absolute bullish!t. They needed to make a statement and the Gophers did that. They came out and put points on the board (a lot of points). I applaud it.

..this..
On the last drive, there were 6 rushing plays, and 0 passes. If they hadn't given up a 60 yard run, the Gophers wouldn't have scored again. If the Gophers had been throwing bombs or using trick plays late, it might have been a different matter, but there was no running up the score.

With the previous TD, the Gophers got the ball on the UNLV 37 yard line.

..this..

Never...take...a...knee...unless you have a one score lead or less--and for ball security only. Run the ball. It actually takes more time off the clock. If you can't stop the second and third stringers, you shouldn't be on the field anyway.

..aaaaaaannnd this.

+1

Nice summary on the thread. Maybe it's just solid math.

No deep throws + back-ups in all over = No running-up the score

As for the original question from the Hawkeye Board, read both Las Vegas newspapers and went to a Runnin' Rebels Board.

Funny, they weren't talking about how the score was ran-up. :drink:

Nice summary on the thread. Maybe it's just solid math.

No deep throws + back-ups in all over = No running-up the score

As for the original question from the Hawkeye Board, read both Las Vegas newspapers and went to a Runnin' Rebels Board.

Funny, they weren't talking about how the score was ran-up. :drink:

I noticed when the coaches shook hands at the end of the game, it seemed like they had a discussion about something. At the time, I was wondering if Kill was saying: "sorry about that, we weren't trying to run up the score, just trying to give the second team some game reps". Anybody else see that?

If you're chucking it in the fourth that could come back and bite you perception wise. Other than that, recruits in Florida or Texas or Alabama aren't watching the game, they see the score then the coaches call them and describe the destruction.

51-23 looks more impressive to a 16-17 year old than 44-23. 92% of us were thinking the same thing when UNLV scored that last TD.

Plenty of Gopherhole threads have been based on Wisconsin running up the score ( No! They reallllly were running up the score!!)

My son was on a very good high school team. He was a wide receiver and on the second team. He got a lot of time because the team was usually a long way ahead. However, he or any other wide receivers hardly ever got a pass thrown their way because the team didn't want to be accused of running up the score. So talking from the parent view who would love to see his son get some meaningful action ... I think it is nice when the second team gets to do the things they practice all week.

Far too often people equate scoring a lot of points with running it up. Running it up is doing things like BB did and going for 2 when the situation clearly doesn't warrant it or calling a time out when you have a huge lead in order to run more plays. It all comes down to motive in my eyes, if you are trying to show up the other team and embarrass them I have a problem with it. On the flip side if you are just running basic plays and the other team can't stop you then there is nothing wrong with that in my book.

The concept of running it up is tough to explain but it is usually very obvious during the game if a team is trying to run up the score. In the case of our game last night anyone watching should have been able to tell we were not running it up, UNLV's backups just failed to stop ours.

It's not like they went for 2. THAT is absurd. (Good riddance, Bielema.)

Kill was fine. And the UNLV coach said it was fine when asked.

Every situation has to be judged on its own merits. My gut tells me that Kill is trying to build confidence and depth for this team. By allowing the 2nd-team offense to go in and score, that will accomplish both goals.

What Kill did is not like Bulimia and the infamous 2-point conversion. That was rubbing it in.

if you want to see teams run it up, check some of the HS FB scores in MN. In my area, there were games Thurs night that finished with scores like 76-14 and 66-8. On a different message board, I've complained about teams running it up, and the supporters of those teams always say that "you have to let the reserves run the regular offense to prepare them for future playing time."

Kill even mentioned that he had hoped to get Leidner in the game earlier, but the flow did not allow it. He played about 45 players. 2nd team scoring is not running up the score.

I noticed when the coaches shook hands at the end of the game, it seemed like they had a discussion about something. At the time, I was wondering if Kill was saying: "sorry about that, we weren't trying to run up the score, just trying to give the second team some game reps". Anybody else see that?
Nope, I was thinking they were both saying that both teams are better than last year and good luck the rest of the way.

Top Bottom