Hawaii just sent Minnesota to a bowl game in crazy fashion

EG#9

Reaction score
This was almost a carbon copy of the Minnesota/Illinois game. Hawaii had a 2nd and 3 with 2 minutes and change at like the CSU 27, they fail to convert on 2nd and 3rd down and then get their 45 yard FG blocked. CSU now had the ball down 24-16 with 2:20 left or so and no timeouts. Hawaii, gets them to a 4th and 8....and CSU hits a slant against a blitz to go like 70 yards for a TD. They convert for 2 and it's tied at 24 with 54 seconds left...

Hawaii drives in to fg range with no timeouts. The receiver on the last catch was ruled to be in bounds, but Hawaii appeared to be unaware of it thinking the clock was stopped. The clock was running and the FG team was coming on. The FG BARELY got set and got the snap off and their kicker drilled it from 52!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hawaii&#39;s 51yd FG at the gun beats Colo St, who finish 5-7.<br><br>With that, college football&#39;s regular season ends w/ *81* 6-win teams.<br><br>41 bowl games = *82* spots.<br><br>Therefore, the 5-7 team w/ the highest Academic Progress Rating fills the lone vacancy.<br><br>That team is <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherFootball?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@GopherFootball</a>.</p>&mdash; Chris Long (@ChrisLongKSTP) <a href="">November 26, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Hawaii&#39;s 51yd FG at the gun beats Colo St, who finish 5-7.<br><br>With that, college football&#39;s regular season ends w/ *81* 6-win teams.<br><br>41 bowl games = *82* spots.<br><br>Therefore, the 5-7 team w/ the highest Academic Progress Rating fills the lone vacancy.<br><br>That team is <a href="https://twitter.com/GopherFootball?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@GopherFootball</a>.</p>&mdash; Chris Long (@ChrisLongKSTP) <a href="">November 26, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
I know I'm kind of involved in this site, and have never had an issue embedding tweets - but what am I doing wrong? 1st link was copy and paste from Twitter (like I always do), next one was embedding it, but it obviously has too much text. I'm sorry for this messy post...but it's kind of reflective of the messy journey to go bowling ;).

I was following it on my phone. It was so nuts it was hard to follow!

This was almost a carbon copy of the Minnesota/Illinois game. Hawaii had a 2nd and 3 with 2 minutes and change at like the CSU 27, they fail to convert on 2nd and 3rd down and then get their 45 yard FG blocked. CSU now had the ball down 24-16 with 2:20 left or so and no timeouts. Hawaii, gets them to a 4th and 8....and CSU hits a slant against a blitz to go like 70 yards for a TD. They convert for 2 and it's tied at 24 with 54 seconds left...

Hawaii drives in to fg range with no timeouts. The receiver on the last catch was ruled to be in bounds, but Hawaii appeared to be unaware of it thinking the clock was stopped. The clock was running and the FG team was coming on. The FG BARELY got set and got the snap off and their kicker drilled it from 52!
Crazy finish to be sure, but how is that a carbon copy of our Illinois game? Endings seem completely different.

Maybe this was already addressed, but Navy is sitting at 5-6 with the Army game to go. Seems like they should be bowl eligible with a win. Is there some reason they are not going to be bowl eligible?

We don't deserve to go bowling. I hope Gopher football is finished for 2023. We have a below average team and were ucky to win against Nebraska and Iowa.

We have very inconsistent and young team. For many of us the disappointment is that we thought Fleck had built something sustainable year in and year out and that Athan was more than he was. We were lucky to beat Nebraska - outplayed Iowa, but almost lost. Then we had two losses that we should have won. In the end we were outrageously inconsistent. A month and a half of extra practice will help.

APR
APR
APR

We don't deserve to go bowling. I hope Gopher football is finished for 2023. We have a below average team and were ucky to win against Nebraska and Iowa.
It’s about what best for the players and the team; fans ain’t in the =.

If you don’t like it, don’t watch.

If you are not invited, that's correct. But if your team has an opportunity to go, and you don't want them to because they "aren't good enough" or "didn't earn it" then you basically want then to be punished.
The team wasn’t good enough and their play on the field proved that.

That isn’t wanting a team to be punished that is reality.

Navy is still sitting there at 5-6. Would be 6-6 if they beat Army.

Would take a waiver by NCAA I’m sure, but crazier things have happened.

Here is just SOME of the ending madness from that game:

That is WILD, lol! Kudos to that FG team for getting set — and especially the kicker who didn’t even have time to think. But how in the world did NOBODY on that coaching staff realize they were in bounds and have the awareness to tell the QB to spike it?! Malpractice, lol.

I know I'm kind of involved in this site, and have never had an issue embedding tweets - but what am I doing wrong? 1st link was copy and paste from Twitter (like I always do), next one was embedding it, but it obviously has too much text. I'm sorry for this messy post...but it's kind of reflective of the messy journey to go bowling ;).

Looks like the link was a copy/paste from x.com. Use twitter as the main address rather than "x".

Navy is still sitting there at 5-6. Would be 6-6 if they beat Army.

Would take a waiver by NCAA I’m sure, but crazier things have happened.

Bowl games will already be decided by the time they play. So I doubt the NCAA is going to hold up the process on a game that isn't played for an extra week and would require an exception due to the FCS wins.

Nope, that’s Army with two FCS wins. Not Navy.

How hard is it for a bowl to make a contingent choice? Not rocket science

Top Bottom