Has this search turned into a rehire of Glen Mason?

stevedave23

Reaction score
I for one am not satisfied with the latest group of names being tossed around. If the U has done their due diligence and this is the best we can do than so be it. But if we fired Glen Mason, hired the Music Man and then fired him in order to rehire another Glen Mason you'll have to excuse me if I don't get fired up.

It seems our search has gone from getting another Tubby Smith who will bring instant credibility to an up and comer who has turned around a program. I will support whoever the gophers hire but right now I am disappointed.

Here are the numbers, looks awfully familiar to me.

Overall Record (Conference Record)

Al Golden
27-34 (20-12)

Brady Hoke
46-50 (34-29)

Randy Edsall
73-69 (21-26)

Glen Mason pre-MN
59-64-1 (35-43-1)

"Football Tubby Smith" already has a better job, doesn't want to come to Minnesota, or is busy suing everyone within suing distance.

Yeah. It may be we're just not able to get a true 'A-lister' in here, so we're having to expand the search to include candidates who are not quite so proven as Maturi may have initially wanted.

It's easy to say "I want a Tubby Smith type hire", but as we're seeing it may not be quite so easy to do that.

I think if we get a coach that has consistantly won with less resources than he will get here at Minny, it will be a good hire. Maturi was delusional if he actually thought another premier coach would give him a call and ask for the job like Tubby did.

Right now we need to get a coach who would stay here and build this into an elite program.

Hiring a coach is still largely a crap shoot.

You can't just look at a record and decide that's how good the coach is.

Gene Chizik went to Auburn with a 5-19 (2-14) record.

The thing that Hoke, Golden and Edsall all have in common is that they've been FAR more successful at their schools than any other coach in recent history. That's fine by me.

But if we fired Glen Mason, hired the Music Man and then fired him in order to rehire another Glen Mason you'll have to excuse me if I don't get fired up.

So you don't want someone that won national coach of the year honors at a BCS school. Good to know.

Really can't blame anyone for being disappointed in this whole process...

Just because the top guys out there have little interest in coming to Minnesota doesn't mean we still can't get a quality guy.

Really can't blame anyone for being disappointed in this whole process...

How can anybody be disappointed if we don't know everybody they've talked to?

These leaks could be and I would bet are 99.9% incorrect.

I don't think anybody can judge anything for certain until the coach is announced.

Glen Mason was a great hire. He brought the program back from a pretty dark place, he just couldn't turn the corner. Think about our expectations before and after Mason. I still think he needed to go, but under him the program took a step forward. If the next guy is able to take a similar step forward, then we are talking about fighting for a BT title. I am hopeful and think there is an excellent group being discussed. Not the A-listers many dreamed of, but all good coaches.

Overall record is always misleading because football programs take years to turn around. Ferentz and other good coaches had bad records when they started, which only evens out after a long period of time. Some of the guys they are looking at haven't been in their current positions for a decade, so its misleading IMO.

For example, Temple's last two years have been a lot better than their first two years. So the overall record is not necessarily reflective of what Golden has done there over just a few years.

Auburn had some kind of an idea what Chizik could do though, as he'd been their defensive coordinator for three years in the early '90s prior to moving on to Texas and then taking the Iowa State gig. So it wasn't like AU made some totally random hire of some unknown coach with an awful record at Iowa State.

He had that history with Auburn, but still it was a very gutsy hire and not popular at all, as the fans and alumni were overwhelmingly opposed to Chizik, wanting to go for the big-time, 'home run' type hire just as we are.

Anyway, it's true. Ya just never know, and Chizik is a great example of that.

Overall record is always misleading because football programs take years to turn around. Ferentz and other good coaches had bad records when they started, which only evens out after a long period of time. Some of the guys they are looking at haven't been in their current positions for a decade, so its misleading IMO.

For example, Temple's last two years have been a lot better than their first two years. So the overall record is not necessarily reflective of what Golden has done there over just a few years.

What was Rich Rod's record at WVA before he came to Michigan? 'Nuff said.

It's all about the fit and the fire IMO. We need someone who wants to take this challenge on and is realistic about it. Brew said all the right things just didn't know how to execute.

What's been disappointing about the process?

Expectations & the perception of Minnesota in the football world becoming reality & having to settle with a coach who is lower then what the initial aim for...

It's similar to Brewster promising Roses to the fans then when reality hits the fans are hoping for Bowl Eligibility...it's sad...

Expectations & the perception of Minnesota in the football world becoming reality & having to settle with a coach who is lower then what the initial aim for...

It's similar to Brewster promising Roses to the fans then when reality hits the fans are hoping for Bowl Eligibility...it's sad...

But we haven't "settled" yet. All you are basing this on are these stupid leaks which I wish would stop.

If the hire is another Brewster - then we all have the right to complain but until then unless we are Brunicks, Kahler, Maturi, Mona and the search firm we have no idea who is really on the radar and who really is interested.

Can we wait to see what actually happens before we begin expressing disappointment with it? I guess you can be upset at the names being leaked; but media speculation really has little bearing on who the coach will actually be.

Brew set expectations up to which he could not live. Maturi, to a much lesser extent, set expectations, but he hasn't actually done anything for us to determine whether he has lived up to them.

How can anybody be disappointed if we don't know everybody they've talked to?

These leaks could be and I would bet are 99.9% incorrect.

I don't think anybody can judge anything for certain until the coach is announced.

Thank you for beating me to it.

You cannot judge the hiring process by all the garbage that gets thrown on these boards.

This is pretty much turning into "Brew won't be fired Mid-Season" all over again. A lot of it is speculation but it a lot of it also has some truth to it...

I think it's sad that fans manipulate extemp answers in response to a question at a press event into a 'promise' and then use the 'promise' as a rallying cry.

Would you believe that Dantonio and Ferentz both carried career losing records similar or worse to those we are interviewing in their jobs at MSU and Iowa?

I think it's sad that fans manipulate extemp answers in response to a question at a press event into a 'promise' and then use the 'promise' as a rallying cry.

Would you believe that Dantonio and Ferentz both carried career losing records similar or worse to those we are interviewing in their jobs at MSU and Iowa?

I think a lot of it has to do with this inherent mistrust of Maturi, that he's going to bugger up yet another hiring and leave us even further up the creek.

There's not a damn thing that any one of us can do about that other than trying to keep the faith and the hope going that *this* time he's going to finally get it right, and in that regard I'm cautiously optimistic. Much rather keep to that outlook then go all negative on the whole works.

Who was the initial aim and what happened to them?

I don't remember either AD vocalizing "Tubby Smith Hire" statements either...

Personally I'll be happy with whatever hire we make cuz in my opinion any hire will be better then Brewster on the surface...

Glen Mason was a great hire. He brought the program back from a pretty dark place, he just couldn't turn the corner. Think about our expectations before and after Mason. I still think he needed to go, but under him the program took a step forward. If the next guy is able to take a similar step forward, then we are talking about fighting for a BT title. I am hopeful and think there is an excellent group being discussed. Not the A-listers many dreamed of, but all good coaches.

+1

If we get a guy like Mason, but who cares about defense, and assembles a staff capable of making halftime adjustments, we'll be great.

Really can't blame anyone for being disappointed with the way this thread has gone.

People seem to have categorized coaches into three categories, Tubby Smith, Glen Mason and Tim Brewster. If it's your preferred coach, it's a Tubby Smith hire. Everyone else is either Glen Mason or Tim Brewster.

Top Bottom