Has anyone heard who are open Non-conference Opponent may be for 2016 season

diddy3191

Reaction score
I was looking at our 2016 schedule for next year and am wondering who are opponent was going to be. This is particular interesting because the currently schedule already lists 3 home non conference games and we typically have 1 non-conf

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa-16/2016-minnesota-golden-gophers-football-schedule.phproad game. I am not sure if this is just going to be a road game at either Kent State or Ohio or maybe in TBD.

I believe next year is the switch to 9 conference games instead of 8 so we will now only have 3 non-conference games from here on out.

Has the self-destructive nature of the Big Ten's decision to play 9 conference games been thoroughly discussed on this board?

Thurs, Sep 01 Oregon State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 10 Indiana State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
*** BYE WEEK?!***
Sat, Sep 24 Colorado State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 1 at Penn State University Park, Pa. TBA
Sat, Oct 8 Iowa TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 15 at Maryland College Park, Md. TBA
Sat, Oct 22 Rutgers TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 29 at Illinois Champaign, Ill. TBA
Sat, Nov 5 Purdue TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 12 at Nebraska Lincoln, Neb. TBA
Sat, Nov 19 Northwestern TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 26 at Wisconsin Madison, Wis.

Worst spot for a bye week...right away in week 3?! Whey even have
a bye week then, doesn't help rest the team at all. Better option
would have been after PSU and before Iowa.

Thurs, Sep 01 Oregon State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Sep 10 Indiana State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
*** BYE WEEK?!***
Sat, Sep 24 Colorado State TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 1 at Penn State University Park, Pa. TBA
Sat, Oct 8 Iowa TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 15 at Maryland College Park, Md. TBA
Sat, Oct 22 Rutgers TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Oct 29 at Illinois Champaign, Ill. TBA
Sat, Nov 5 Purdue TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 12 at Nebraska Lincoln, Neb. TBA
Sat, Nov 19 Northwestern TCF Bank Stadium TBA
Sat, Nov 26 at Wisconsin Madison, Wis.

Worst spot for a bye week...right away in week 3?! Whey even have
a bye week then, doesn't help rest the team at all. Better option
would have been after PSU and before Iowa.

It appears that this will happen to us every year for some reason. Looked at a few other team's future schedules and their conference schedule starts on week 4 every year. Ours starts on week 5 every year so we will never get a bye in the middle of the conference schedule. WTF is with that? Did we request it for some reason? If not, that is ridiculous.

9 game conference schedule leaves no room for byes in the northern climate unless you start the conference schedule before all NC games are played.

9 game conference schedule leaves no room for byes in the northern climate unless you start the conference schedule before all NC games are played.

Which is exactly what we should be doing.

Look at the SEC schedule this week, it's just like having a bye week for most of them. Brilliant!

"We" don't play the games, and I disagree.

Sorry Mr. Delaney sir.

For a commish who sacrifices everything in favor of money, I'm surprised you are against marquee match ups in mid September.

Look at the SEC schedule this week, it's just like having a bye week for most of them. Brilliant!

National media are actually starting to question this. The SEC also still schedules FCS schools, I suppose you agree with that too? It would be nice to see them get more heat for that too

It appears that this will happen to us every year for some reason. Looked at a few other team's future schedules and their conference schedule starts on week 4 every year. Ours starts on week 5 every year so we will never get a bye in the middle of the conference schedule. WTF is with that? Did we request it for some reason? If not, that is ridiculous.

Does anyone else not think this is crazy? Am I getting bent out of shape for nothing? That just seems like a huge disadvantage.

It is crazy. I thought I'd noticed that some* other teams have the preconference bye too, but did not look closely so I'd take your word that at least most do not.

It is crazy. I thought I'd noticed that some* other teams have the preconference bye too, but did not look closely so I'd take your word that at least most do not.

I didn't look at everyone but yes, I did notice a few teams had their bye early on as well but not every season like the Gophers. If I have time tonight I can look at everyone's schedule.

[SUP][/SUP]
I didn't look at everyone but yes, I did notice a few teams had their bye early on as well but not every season like the Gophers. If I have time tonight I can look at everyone's schedule.
It looks like most B1G teams byes are on or before Oct 8 with a couple exceptions.

Woof. That 2016 Schedule is so uninteresting from a season ticket standpoint.

Does anyone else not think this is crazy? Am I getting bent out of shape for nothing? That just seems like a huge disadvantage.

Reminds me of the Glen Mason years when our bye week always came at the end of the year. We'd be done and everyone else has one more game

Which is exactly what we should be doing.

They are. Iowa recently had a conference game moved up to fill an early bye week in 2017. I think there's at least one more year where a conference game is scheduled before the OOC's are done. This is soon to become standard operating procedure in the B1G. TV loves it because you don't have weeks filled entirely with MAC and C-USA opponents.

Edit: Iowa has middle of the season byes the next 2 years, and plays a conference game in Week 2 in 2019.

They are. Iowa recently had a conference game moved up to fill an early bye week in 2017. I think there's at least one more year where a conference game is scheduled before the OOC's are done. This is soon to become standard operating procedure in the B1G. TV loves it because you don't have weeks filled entirely with MAC and C-USA opponents.

Edit: Iowa has middle of the season byes the next 2 years, and plays a conference game in Week 2 in 2019.

Lol, this dude is still posting here under his fake gopher fan name.

Not if we win them all.

It's kind of hard to look at that schedule and not predict 9-10 wins. I can't even see the ultimate pessimist going much lower than 8. This season reminds us though that anything can happen, good or bad.

If it is a disadvantage, Purdue and Minnesota should just agree to move their early November game to their mutual Sept. 17 bye week. Simple.

I love the fact that Wisconsin appears to be our annual regular season-ending opponent, and presumably that will always be taking place over the long Thanksgiving weekend. That's just such a great, tradition-rich time of year for college football what with so many big rivalry games being always played over that long weekend. Ohio State-Michigan, Florida-Florida State, Notre Dame-USC, Alabama-Auburn, Oklahoma-Oklahoma State, Mississippi-Mississippi State, Oregon-Oregon State, Clemson-South Carolina, the Old Oaken Bucket with Purdue-Indiana, the Apple Bowl with Washington-Washington State and etc etc etc. And then there were those traditional Thanksgiving weekend rivalry battles which unfortunately no longer exist due to realignment, RIP to Texas-Texas A&M, the Backyard Brawl between West Virginia-Pitt, the Border War between Missouri-Kansas, Nebraska-Colorado (back when CU was a true 9000 lb. beast) and etc.

Anyhow, it's great to see Minnesota-Wisconsin slotting right in there with all those other great rivalries that weekend, because one-sided (at this time anyway) or not, this is still as intense and hard-fought a rivalry as there is in college football, and it's nice to see it being given its due as such.

Schedule complainers like to complain. Another subject to bitch about. The schedule is the schedule. A whole thread of "discussion" in which we have no say or control. Sigh.

Top Bottom