Hallman: The Gopher football stadium should have been named for Sandy Stephens

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Hallman:

The Gopher football stadium should have been named for Sandy Stephens, the only quarterback to lead the school to consecutive Rose Bowls and a national championship. Who can forget when Stephens’ name was misspelled on commemorative game tickets, a mistake that cost the school plenty in reprinting them?

Recognizing former Black Gophers only during Black History Month each February is not enough. The “U” can and should do better.

Go Gophers!!

It almost like if they needed money and got a big donation from TCF (I would argue they should’ve done a shorter contract as the next naming deal will garner a lot more money)

Fields and courts have been named for notable players and coaches:

Lute Olson Court
Coach K Court
Bobby Bowden Field

So Sandy Stephens Field at Huntington Bank Stadium is doable.
Probably depends on the contract. If Huntington Bank does not agree or has sole right to field names then maybe not.

per Hallman:

The Gopher football stadium should have been named for Sandy Stephens, the only quarterback to lead the school to consecutive Rose Bowls and a national championship. Who can forget when Stephens’ name was misspelled on commemorative game tickets, a mistake that cost the school plenty in reprinting them?

Recognizing former Black Gophers only during Black History Month each February is not enough. The “U” can and should do better.

Go Gophers!!
Selfishly, I'd like it!

Hallman is a pandering U hater.

That said, and though I agree...if the Stephens family and other boosters can come up with $30-50 million, they can clinch it.

No doubt, the U should have turned down millions from TCF bank to stick a former players name on the stadium. Sandy Stephens is one of the most celebrated and well known ex-gophers, not just during February but year round. His number is retired and their are pictures of him all over the complex.

This is a case of a writer trying to make something out of nothing and pretend like there is some big secret plot not to recognize former black athletes when that couldn't be farther from the truth. Not going to give them a click to read the story as the posted part makes his agenda clear enough.

Look at all the buildings and edifices that are being renamed. I would argue naming any building after a specific person is rife with potential problems.

I'm fine with just one name on the stadium and that being the person bearing the gifts of money. Many great players at the U. How can you really pick one over an other? If nothing else, expand the Hall of Fame room.

There are too many Gopher greats to just pick Sandy Stephens. Bruce Smith as mentioned won the Heisman. Bronko is legendary. Eller and Bobby Bell were big time.
What about Bernie Bierman?
If we are focused on race Murray Warmath recruited Black athletes for the first time to Minnesota. He recruited and coached the stars like Sandy, Bobby, Carl and a bunch more to those titles.
Picking one guy is impossible especially if it isn’t a coach.

There is already a Bierman Field Athletic Building on campus. There is also a Gophers’ Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex. It opened in 1985. Thought there was a building/complex named after Bobby Bell too but couldn't find one.

There are too many Gopher greats to just pick Sandy Stephens. Bruce Smith as mentioned won the Heisman. Bronko is legendary. Eller and Bobby Bell were big time.
What about Bernie Bierman?
If we are focused on race Murray Warmath recruited Black athletes for the first time to Minnesota. He recruited and coached the stars like Sandy, Bobby, Carl and a bunch more to those titles.
Picking one guy is impossible especially if it isn’t a coach.
I think Bronko Nagurski because ... that name just seems like football ;)

If I had to pick, there ya go.

Why not approach TCF Bank to modify the stadium name to "TCF Bank Sandy Stephens Stadium"? It will be a good PR move.

It is not only a question of honoring a great African American player. It also honors his accomplishment for being the QB to lead the Gophers to the last national title. They should also consider erecting a statue in him as his coach.

Actually, I think the stadium should be named "Sanford" Field, but someone at the U managed to get T. Denny mad at the U of MN, and cost the U of MN potentially millions in future donations.

While T. Denny continues to shell out big bucks for projects in the Sioux Falls area.

Sanford Health has broken ground on a $40 million, 173-acre expansion of its Sanford Sports Complex in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, that will feature 18 outdoor turf fields.

The new, lighted fields will host host baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse and other activities starting in 2022 and are expected to host 1 million new visitors over five years for tournaments, sports training programs and youth and adult league games, according to Sanford Health.

The expansion is funded by a $300 million donation in March from credit card billionaire and philanthropist T. Denny Sanford, the health system's chief patron. Sanford's donations have transformed Sanford Health, which was renamed after him, and catapulted its growth into one of the nation's largest health systems.

Denny Sanford's giving to the health system now tops $1 billion.

Actually, I think the stadium should be named "Sanford" Field, but someone at the U managed to get T. Denny mad at the U of MN, and cost the U of MN potentially millions in future donations.

While T. Denny continues to shell out big bucks for projects in the Sioux Falls area.

Sanford Health has broken ground on a $40 million, 173-acre expansion of its Sanford Sports Complex in Sioux Falls, South Dakota, that will feature 18 outdoor turf fields.

The new, lighted fields will host host baseball, softball, soccer, lacrosse and other activities starting in 2022 and are expected to host 1 million new visitors over five years for tournaments, sports training programs and youth and adult league games, according to Sanford Health.

The expansion is funded by a $300 million donation in March from credit card billionaire and philanthropist T. Denny Sanford, the health system's chief patron. Sanford's donations have transformed Sanford Health, which was renamed after him, and catapulted its growth into one of the nation's largest health systems.

Sometimes these donors want to be king of their little kingdom. You gotta be careful who you sell yourself to ....

Why not approach TCF Bank to modify the stadium name to "TCF Bank Sandy Stephens Stadium"? It will be a good PR move.

It is not only a question of honoring a great African American player. It also honors his accomplishment for being the QB to lead the Gophers to the last national title. They should also consider erecting a statue in him as his coach.
There is no need for a stadium name change or any sort of over reaction to this story. Sandy Stephens is one of the most well known and celebrated former players from the U of M. This is a writer with an agenda trying to make a story where there isn't one.

There is no need for a stadium name change or any sort of over reaction to this story. Sandy Stephens is one of the most well known and celebrated former players from the U of M. This is a writer with an agenda trying to make a story where there isn't one.

If they want to do something nice / memorable.... I say for a really cool statue of him... plenty of places at the stadium to put it.

Not enough cool statues around.

If I remember correctly, Sanford was asking for too much in return.

If I remember correctly, Sanford was asking for too much in return.
That's what I heard too.

I'm not deep in the sources department but I heard something similar about his expectations.

Some donations are just donations, others come with expectations, demands, etc that you might not want to or can't guarantee.

That's what I heard too.

I'm not deep in the sources department but I heard something similar about his expectations.

Some donations are just donations, others come with expectations, demands, etc that you might not want to or can't guarantee.

The Merger That Might Have Been: Sanford Health and Fairview Health Services (and U of Minn Hospitals)

When the public learned in late March that Sioux Falls, SD-based Sanford Health was in merger talks with Minneapolis-based Fairview Health Services, it was big news across the Upper Midwest. The news was almost as big when Sanford Health abruptly halted the merger talks in early April, within days of the published reports. Why did Sanford pull out of the talks? The prospect of the two $3 billion hospital systems merging alarmed some Minnesota leaders.

The Minnesota Attorney General, Lori Swanson, called a press conference in late March to express concerns about Fairview assets remaining in Minnesota after a merger, and speculated about the future of the University of Minnesota’s teaching hospital, operated by Fairview, after a merger with an out-of-state entity. She convened a public hearing on short notice, on a Sunday in early April, and promised additional inquiry into the proposed merger. Two Minnesota state legislators introduced a bill to slow or stop the merger. Facing public suspicion and politicians intent on slowing, if not stopping, the merger, Sanford Health decided to cease merger discussions.

It’s easy to blame the Minnesota AG and politicians for the failure of the two nonprofit hospital systems to complete their exploration of a merger. After all, the AG jumped in before there was a deal to evaluate. It’s also easy to blame Sanford, a hospital system that had been in an eager acquisition mode for many years. However, Fairview Health was all but silent, leaving little known about its viewpoint and motivations. Effectively, Fairview left its out-of-state partner, Sanford Health, to defend its presence rather than acting to explain the perceived benefits to its own citizens. Fairview’s silence may not have been benign, either, as it had been approached by the University of Minnesota as a potential merger partner.

The story is complex, and does not allow for easy scapegoats. It involves issues of governance, conflicts of interest, regulation, public relations, politics, the changing healthcare marketplace, and even anti-trust considerations. All nonprofit organizations contemplating merger face similar questions, but in few cases do they become so public or so passionate. There was speculation that Denny Sanford would make a gift to the University of Minnesota that would help support the university’s teaching hospital and children’s hospital, allowing those units to be reacquired by the U of M while the rest of Fairview would be merged with Sanford Health. The U of M issued a statement in late March that no such gift was being contemplated and, further, that no gifts of any type would be accepted from Denny Sanford while the Sanford Health-Fairview merger talks were taking place.

The prospect of a $6 billion Sanford-Fairview merger, with out-of-state Sanford Health seen as the more active player, would be more than enough to cause Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson to monitor the merger talks closely and question any decisions the two hospital systems might be prepared to make. Swanson’s office received informal word in 2012 that Fairview and Sanford were beginning to discuss the possibility of a merger or other collaboration. However, it appears that the AG’s office did not receive any updates on the progress of the merger talks until the story became public in March 2013, despite rumors in healthcare circles that a merger was in the offing. Swanson’s public statements were laced with surprise that merger talks could have advanced so far without her being apprised of it. Her call for public hearings was a deliberate attempt, she said, to slow down the process and assure that Fairview, the University of Minnesota, and the state’s citizens would not be harmed by a potential merger, or “takeover,” as many viewed it.

Some have argued that Sanford Health and Fairview had no obligation to communicate with the attorney general, legislature, or media. While this is technically true, it ignores the prudence of recruiting allies who might otherwise be able to thwart your plans. The lack of disclosure and communication made the talks appear secret, with the nefarious connotations the word implies. The connections and conflicts of interest between Sanford Health, Fairview, the University of Minnesota, and T. Denny Sanford become suspect when discovered rather than disclosed.

https://nonprofitquarterly.org/the-...-sanford-health-and-fairview-health-services/

Top Bottom