Hallman: Minnesota AD checked our box—he hired a Black coach. Now the question we ask is will Johnson be given the time and support to succeed

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Charles Hallman:

And the Minnesota AD checked our box—he hired a Black coach. Now the question we ask is will Johnson be given the time and support to succeed as Gopher coach.

Advancement of Blacks in Sports (ABIS) earlier this month issued three keys for Division I schools: Hire more Black coaches, commit to retaining and promoting Black coaches, and place a moratorium on the firing of Black coaches, who too often are not given enough time to turn a program and are not rehired as are non-Black coaches.

“Talking isn’t enough. They need to focus intentionally on doing that,” explained American University Sports Law Professor N. Jeremi Duru. “It is important that institutions recognize that diversity is a good thing. One thing we learned and know about sports is that it really impacts society. So when you see progress in sport, I think that leads into other institutions.”

Coyle said, “I am thrilled for [Johnson] to lead his alma mater, and I am excited for the future of our men’s basketball program.”

Go Gophers!!

Typical...already making excuses for failure....not given the support....
The boat needs to be pointed in the right direction to be rowed to victory. Right now, the turning of the boat hasn't cleared some of the landmarks of the three previous hires.

per Charles Hallman:

And the Minnesota AD checked our box—he hired a Black coach. Now the question we ask is will Johnson be given the time and support to succeed as Gopher coach.

Advancement of Blacks in Sports (ABIS) earlier this month issued three keys for Division I schools: Hire more Black coaches, commit to retaining and promoting Black coaches, and place a moratorium on the firing of Black coaches, who too often are not given enough time to turn a program and are not rehired as are non-Black coaches.

“Talking isn’t enough. They need to focus intentionally on doing that,” explained American University Sports Law Professor N. Jeremi Duru. “It is important that institutions recognize that diversity is a good thing. One thing we learned and know about sports is that it really impacts society. So when you see progress in sport, I think that leads into other institutions.”

Coyle said, “I am thrilled for [Johnson] to lead his alma mater, and I am excited for the future of our men’s basketball program.”

Go Gophers!!

Have a question about the concept of placing a moratorium on firing black coaches....how long should a school be expected to retain a coach who isn't getting it done simply because that coach is black?

I mean, do groups like ABIS consider that telling a school they can't fire a black coach might make them more hesitant to hire a black coach in the first place? Their first two keys make a ton of sense but the third one feels a little counter productive.

Have a question about the concept of placing a moratorium on firing black coaches....how long should a school be expected to retain a coach who isn't getting it done simply because that coach is black?

I mean, do groups like ABIS consider that telling a school they can't fire a black coach might make them more hesitant to hire a black coach in the first place? Their first two keys make a ton of sense but the third one feels a little counter productive.
This is what I mentioned in another thread, that since an overmatched Pitino got 5 years under Coyle there's not a chance that advocates like Charles Hallman who are celebrating that Coyle "checked our box" are going to let anyone give Johnson a day less to prove himself, even if he's a dumpster fire disaster, or they'll raise holy hell. Ben is our coach for at least the next 5 years, for better or for worse.

The conversation has been in chronological order starting right after the Pitino dismal.

Search Begins
Media and progressive fanbase: Race MUST be a factor in this hire due to the lack of diversity in our athletic department.

Other fans: Let's hire best coach regardless of race

Johnson Hired

Other fans: Was race a factor in a seemingly underqualified coach being hired?

Media and progressive fanbase: You are racist for even suggesting race was a factor even though we are on record unequivocally demanding it.

Other fans: Wait, how does that make sense?

Media and progressive fanbase: Racists!

I feel bad for Johnson. Regardless of how you feel about the hire, the guy worked his ass off to reach this point. I personally don't think that race had much of a role in this. Coyle has his reasons, but if he thought he had anyone better who could win and make the athletic department money, I think he does it. But the social justice warriors like Hallman, The Star Trib, and more than a few on this board want to chalk this up as a win for the movement. Another example of applying pressure to get their way and score one for their personal politcal movement. But while I am sure Johnson is proud of his race, I am sure he believes he is the best man for the job, white, black or otherwise. Race and the implication that this should be some sort of affirmative action program, should never have happened and ultimately it insults Johnson. And for that reason I am going to root for him even more.

The conversation has been in chronological order starting right after the Pitino dismal.

Search Begins
Media and progressive fanbase: Race MUST be a factor in this hire due to the lack of diversity in our athletic department.

Other fans: Let's hire best coach regardless of race

Johnson Hired

Other fans: Was race a factor in a seemingly underqualified coach being hired?

Media and progressive fanbase: You are racist for even suggesting race was a factor even though we are on record unequivocally demanding it.

Other fans: Wait, how does that make sense?

Media and progressive fanbase: Racists!

I feel bad for Johnson. Regardless of how you feel about the hire, the guy worked his ass off to reach this point. I personally don't think that race had much of a role in this. Coyle has his reasons, but if he thought he had anyone better who could win and make the athletic department money, I think he does it. But the social justice warriors like Hallman, The Star Trib, and more than a few on this board want to chalk this up as a win for the movement. Another example of applying pressure to get their way and score one for their personal politcal movement. But while I am sure Johnson is proud of his race, I am sure he believes he is the best man for the job, white, black or otherwise. Race and the implication that this should be some sort of affirmative action program, should never have happened and ultimately it insults Johnson. And for that reason I am going to root for him even more.
Very, VERY well said. Nailed it on pretty much all counts here. I hope Mr. Johnson knocks this one out of the park!

He gave him a five year deal that seems like a commitment to me.

What is his point?
Looking at the other threads today regarding Johnson. Do you think that the majority of fans have committed to him to help make it successful?

Yeah...I don't get that one.

Looking at the other threads today regarding Johnson. Do you think that the majority of fans have committed to him to help make it successful?
LOL he's getting paid big boy money now, if he wins he will gain all the support he needs.

I think that's an odd argument for him to make; it's not the fans, in reality, who will make him successful. some will cancel their tixs - I don't believe it will end up ultimately as many who have threatened to, as it never is. The fans won't get the current players to stay, new ones to transfer in or commit out of HS: Kerwin Walton would have been crowned King of Dinkytown if he would have stayed home (he hurt much more than Suggs for me - he's getable) and the amount of pining on here for him, including me, bordered on being wacky.

Ultimately, just like in any job, Ben is the captain of his ship and his efforts will determine his success, not anyone else's. Every job has stupid obstacles it shouldn't to impede your progress; it is you job to figure out the job's maze to get to the cheese.

It was a very poorly written piece by Mr. Hallman and it is no wonder he is now toiling for some no-name online zine.

Fans owe him nothing. Just like they owed Pitino nothing. And Tubby. And Monson. And Clem. Or any athlete or coach. I haven’t seen anyone attacking Ben Johnson’s character, his family or friends. Should I send him $20 or a nice “welcome home” card to make him feel my support? Maybe buy him a star or a few acres on the moon?
My commitment to gopher basketball doesn’t matter. Watching games doesn’t change the outcome. If he wants support—win

This is what I mentioned in another thread, that since an overmatched Pitino got 5 years under Coyle there's not a chance that advocates like Charles Hallman who are celebrating that Coyle "checked our box" are going to let anyone give Johnson a day less to prove himself, even if he's a dumpster fire disaster, or they'll raise holy hell. Ben is our coach for at least the next 5 years, for better or for worse.

I disagree with that. I think you are getting too carried away by your anger. To be here for 5 more years, he will have to show something anyway.

I think it’s safe to say Johnson is done here. Whether it’s this year or next. He has no shot at Asuma, anyone of the caliber Evans was at, or any decent Mn recruit. Best he can achieve is bottom of the conference going forward. Everyone can see how uncompetitive this team is and wants no part of it.

Good post. I've posted my feelings here. I disagree with those who say he should be fired after this year because "why delay the inevitable?" I say that because ----

1) As I've posted before, I think he's faced unusually difficult circumstances in his first two years here.

2) Firing someone after two years would be unprecedented for a program like ours and would give a bad impression.

3) I don't think a bad future is "inevitable" just yet. Concluding that already justifiably could be interpreted as a "lack of support."

Absent objectionable behavior, you have to stick with a hire at least a reasonable amount of time. That particularly is true for a program without deep pockets. If BJ has another poor season next year, the firing decision has to be at least 50/50 and if failure extends to the 4th year, I don't think there should be a choice.

I think it’s safe to say Johnson is done here. Whether it’s this year or next. He has no shot at Asuma, anyone of the caliber Evans was at, or any decent Mn recruit. Best he can achieve is bottom of the conference going forward. Everyone can see how uncompetitive this team is and wants no part of it.
So, we're the Boston College of the B1G. The Vanderbilt of the B1G. The K-State of the B1G. The Cal of the B1G.
There are other programs that play the bottom dweller. I wish we were in the blue blood realm, but that is obviously never going to happen, but we can cheer on our "Bad News Gophers" anyway. 😏

Top Bottom