Had some time this morning

balds

Reaction score
and spent it on you tube. Two thoughts.

1) Can't find anything that I don't love about Kill and his staff. Man I really want them to have success here.

2) The Gopher ground game of the early 2000's was a freaking thing of beauty. I'm mildly convinced that I could have averaged 5 yards a carry running through those holes. Too bad we couldn't have paired a solid D with those offenses.

Second.

If Mason would have put more effort into his defenses he would still be here. I would argue that reverse the result of one game in the Mason era and he'd still be coach. That game is Michigan 2003.

and spent it on you tube. Two thoughts.

1) Can't find anything that I don't love about Kill and his staff. Man I really want them to have success here.

2) The Gopher ground game of the early 2000's was a freaking thing of beauty. I'm mildly convinced that I could have averaged 5 yards a carry running through those holes. Too bad we couldn't have paired a solid D with those offenses.

If only Mason was just an Offensive Coordinator and not the head coach

Kill is no surprise to anyone who paid attention when we played his teams. He was the only logical choice from day one. We just forgot it because he wasn't a Tubby hire and we were led to believe that was going to happen. At least until all the Tubby hires turned us down.

End result? We are very fortunate and Gopher football has some good days ahead. We need to find a way to keep him from moving on.

Second.

If Mason would have put more effort into his defenses he would still be here. I would argue that reverse the result of one game in the Mason era and he'd still be coach. That game is Michigan 2003.

If he put more effort into recruiting he might still be there. Way too comfortable with starting a 235 pound guy at DE and never really tried to recruit guys that had size/speed AND could play.

Kill is no surprise to anyone who paid attention when we played his teams. He was the only logical choice from day one. We just forgot it because he wasn't a Tubby hire and we were led to believe that was going to happen. At least until all the Tubby hires turned us down.

End result? We are very fortunate and Gopher football has some good days ahead. We need to find a way to keep him from moving on.
$$$$$$ Pay the man when he deserves it.

Kill seems like the kind of guy who only moves up the ranks to endure a new challenge. Even though we are a lower-tier BCS school (I finally came to terms with this), if Coach has success here there isn't much above it. You can either go to a helmet school, where the only challenge is to win more consistently than they already do, or you go to the NFL. Winning more consistently at a helmet school doesn't do that much because you can (hopefully) turn Minnesota into a helmet school with hard work and dedication. Coach Kill's style doesn't really seem to fit in the NFL.

He hasn't complained about the weather or the city at all. As long as we are willing to pony up and pay a competitive salary if he becomes successful, he can accomplish a lot of things here. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I always felt that Brewster thought he was too good for the Minnesota job and that he would leave for greener pastures as soon as possible. I don't get that feeling with Kill.

Kill's Future

Kill seems like the kind of guy who only moves up the ranks to endure a new challenge. Even though we are a lower-tier BCS school (I finally came to terms with this), if Coach has success here there isn't much above it. You can either go to a helmet school, where the only challenge is to win more consistently than they already do, or you go to the NFL. Winning more consistently at a helmet school doesn't do that much because you can (hopefully) turn Minnesota into a helmet school with hard work and dedication. Coach Kill's style doesn't really seem to fit in the NFL.

He hasn't complained about the weather or the city at all. As long as we are willing to pony up and pay a competitive salary if he becomes successful, he can accomplish a lot of things here. I don't want to hijack the thread, but I always felt that Brewster thought he was too good for the Minnesota job and that he would leave for greener pastures as soon as possible. I don't get that feeling with Kill.

Kill has stated that he wants this to be his last stop for all the reasons stated above. It sure would be nice to put that in a contract though.

I'm as excited as the next guy about Kill, but let's let him win a game before we start worrying about him taking a better job.

I think Kill will be more interested in increasing his assistant coaches salaries than his own.

Having to pay Kill more to keep him around would be a nice problem to have... Let's hope it comes down to that.

Second.

There are barely words to describe the enormity of that loss - it truly was a potentially program-turning, "tipping point", singular win. Win that, and there is NO WAY we lose to MSU the following week. Would have been undefeated going into Iowa, with at least a Rose Bowl bid locked up.

I'm not sayin' - I'm just sayin' . . . . .

Sad to say - that was the biggest game (bowl games included) that the Gophers have played since the '86 OSU game.

Gut-wrenching, rip-your-heart-out, make-you-an-atheist, drove-back-4-hrs-in-the-wee-hours, type stuff.

There are barely words to describe the enormity of that loss - it truly was a potentially program-turning, "tipping point", singular win. Win that, and there is NO WAY we lose to MSU the following week. Would have been undefeated going into Iowa, with at least a Rose Bowl bid locked up.

Sad to say - that was the biggest game (bowl games included) that the Gophers have played since the '86 OSU game.

Gut-wrenching, rip-your-heart-out, make-you-an-atheist, drove-back-4-hrs-in-the-wee-hours, type stuff.

I forgot how close the Gophers were to that Rose Bowl bid. It can be done here with the right coach.

Hopefully Kill will turn the Gophers into a helmet school...

It truly is refreshing to have positive energy on this message board. As a Gopher alum and fan far from home, I live vicariously through you all here, and it has been downright pleasant feeling the optimism and hope associated with the program through you. Cheers to you all!

Go Gophers!

I know it sounds ridiculous now, but had the Gophers not gacked away the Jug, the trip to Mordor at the end of November would have been for an undefeated season and a shot at the BCSCG. Don't laugh too hard. Win that game at Iowa and they're the only undefeated team in a BCS conference. The only other unbeaten was Oklahoma, who got shelled 35-7 by K-State in the B12 CCG.

Wish in one hand, and crap in the other, and see which one gets full first.

That Michigan game was like something out of the Twilight Zone, something that just doesn't happen in real life. That was the golden ticket to the next level. The defense was truly awful, the offense made it look better than it was. And when the offense faltered, the defense wasn't capable of carrying the weight. I remember hoping for one more drive, even one more first down to seal the win. Win that game, and everything changes. People just stopped believing after that.

Well, it looks like people are warming up again after the Kill hire, and are ready to start believing again. I hope that when our time comes again that we manage to hand on to the brass ring.

That Michigan game was like something out of the Twilight Zone, something that just doesn't happen in real life. That was the golden ticket to the next level. The defense was truly awful, the offense made it look better than it was. And when the offense faltered, the defense wasn't capable of carrying the weight. I remember hoping for one more drive, even one more first down to seal the win. Win that game, and everything changes. People just stopped believing after that.

Yesterday I watched part of that game on youtube and the defense was just abysmal. Navarre's TD reception was one of the worst jobs I've ever seen a defense do. Wisconsin's win over Michigan in '93 is the game that catapulted them into the Rose Bowl. That could of been our version of it. Not to say we'd have achieved the same level of success, but it would have changed gopher football for the better. The Penn St win and Ohio St wins were both after we'd been eliminate from the Rose Bowl race and in the case of the Ohio St game, followed up by a terrible loss to Indiana. We've never got that real significant break under Mason he really needed to rev up recruiting and loosen the purse strings from donors and admin.

Yesterday I watched part of that game on youtube and the defense was just abysmal. Navarre's TD reception was one of the worst jobs I've ever seen a defense do. Wisconsin's win over Michigan in '93 is the game that catapulted them into the Rose Bowl. That could of been our version of it. Not to say we'd have achieved the same level of success, but it would have changed gopher football for the better. The Penn St win and Ohio St wins were both after we'd been eliminate from the Rose Bowl race and in the case of the Ohio St game, followed up by a terrible loss to Indiana. We've never got that real significant break under Mason he really needed to rev up recruiting and loosen the purse strings from donors and admin.

I just did that and even though I wasn't a Gopher fan in 2003, I could feel my hopes being crushed

I will never forget the rouser during the band's pregame show against Michigan in 03. It was like a real college game in the dome.

A Big Ten Title - or even just a division title - would help exorcise that game.

Second.

Though Mason did have a few "signature" wins, he had far more blown leads to losses then wins.

I'm as excited as the next guy about Kill, but let's let him win a game before we start worrying about him taking a better job.

eker, you should feel honored. Patrick Reusse made reference to your post above on his 1500KSTP radio program this afternoon.

Top Bottom