Gutless Playcalling

MNVCGUY

Reaction score
I'm finally fully on board with some of the complaints many of you have had about offensive philosophy. The only chance you have to spring an upset against a team like Ohio State is to be aggressive and maximize every possession.

I can be ok with the idea of a punt from the opponents 43 if you are aggressively going after the first down and come up short. But in a game where you can't run, calling running plays on 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 6 isn't going to get it done. At least try a pass.....

Against a team like Ohio State any drive that gets into their territory should probably be viewed as 4 down territory. Especially knowing they are likely to drive down the field once they get the ball back.

I am firmly against the crowd saying Fleck should be fired after this year but I really hope he takes a hard look at some things after this season and makes some changes.

Its his own philosophy. It isn't the OC who is shackling the team. Fleck wants to try and lose by 35 or less. he thinks that makes him look better. He has no cojones.
This.....been saying this for years with Minnesota teams (college and pros). Nobody here has the cojones to go for the win. Instead they go for "play not to lose". A lot of this falls on the people in this state as there are a lot of people around who defend gutless coaches.

Gophers are taking two timeouts to halftime after pinning their opponent deep at the end of the first half. Total gutless play-calling and punting decisions. A classic example of valuing a close game over an opportunity to win. Awful. At least TRY to win.

I’m the biggest Fleck backer on the planet, but he’s losing me with the conservative play calling. Perhaps zero trust in AK? How about calling a fake punt?

Gophers are taking two timeouts to halftime after pinning their opponent deep at the end of the first half. Total gutless play-calling and punting decisions. A classic example of valuing a close game over an opportunity to win. Awful. At least TRY to win.
A classic Fleck philosophy here is that halftime can never come fast enough. Even if you're winning.

One way to lose your players is to bring them to a big game - a game where a win could be a program changer - for which your only chance to win is to actually take some chances, and then refuse to try to win.

I'm finally fully on board with some of the complaints many of you have had about offensive philosophy. The only chance you have to spring an upset against a team like Ohio State is to be aggressive and maximize every possession.

I can be ok with the idea of a punt from the opponents 43 if you are aggressively going after the first down and come up short. But in a game where you can't run, calling running plays on 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 6 isn't going to get it done. At least try a pass.....

Against a team like Ohio State any drive that gets into their territory should probably be viewed as 4 down territory. Especially knowing they are likely to drive down the field once they get the ball back.

I am firmly against the crowd saying Fleck should be fired after this year but I really hope he takes a hard look at some things after this season and makes some changes.
I “liked” your post but also needed to quote it because you’re dead on 100%. Scared offensive mindset.

I probably know better, it almost seems like he’s trying to get canned. But that wouldn’t make any sense, would it?

Some of the stuff is just so not solid…..

No one can accuse you of not being patient.

I wonder if PJ enjoys coaching? It appears that he enjoys the spotlight, such that it is at Minnesota, and it appears that he likes the kids. Does he like the nitty gritty of the actually coaching during a game and the game management? I mean he’s the WR coach and this WR core is just so bad at catching the ball. He’s the guy that I assume dials up certain plays in certain situations and they seem to run counterintuitive to the flow of the game.

Fire Harbaugh and Free Matt Simon

Glad you are now taking this common sense position. Fleck will not be fired but it is not realistic to think Fleck will now or ever take a hard look at how he coaches offense. Not in him. No idea why he can't adjust to overwhelming evidence. He just will not.

I really hope the media goes after this in the post game. The punts from the opponents 40 in a game that was still competitive is playing scared.

When you are a massive underdog you should be able to play free with nothing to lose....but that clearly is not the way we approached this game. Disappointing to say the least. Ohio State was almost certainly going to win the game so cut it loose and take some chances. Hell, throw a bomb on third down, if it gets picked it was essentially a punt anyway.

When you are a massive underdog you should be able to play free with nothing to lose....but that clearly is not the way we approached this game.
No, PJ had no intention of even trying to win this game. All he wanted to do try to keep Ohio State under 50. Granted, you could play this game 100 times and the Buckeyes are winning 99 of them, but Fleck had no intention of tonight being the 1 miracle. You can’t shock the world when you don’t even give your team a fighting chance.

Top Bottom