Greder: .100 BT winning percentage currently sits as the second-worst winning percentage in program history.

Hasn't the portal only been around a short time? Yet, you state longevity is "pretty much sustained"....we will see, correct?

CBJ Protection Detail ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Have you ever considered changing your username to "BridgeBurner?"

Just like Haskins. He had a 17-game conference losing streak in this first 2 years.

It's college basketball. You inherit a team. 4-year cycles of players. They start out young and get better as they go. Etc. But nobody seems to understand this.
4 year cycles? There is now a transfer portal and players are leaving for the pros earlier. You don't seem to understand this.

Hasn't the portal only been around a short time? Yet, you state longevity is "pretty much sustained"....we will see, correct?

CBJ Protection Detail ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Go look at the most successful programs in our conference and see how they were built. We are coming on over 6 years of the portal, but transferring and waivers are not new. Nothing to do with protection detail, just an understanding of what is being attempted build wise. We will see if it’s successful or not.

Go look at the most successful programs in our conference and see how they were built. We are coming on over 6 years of the portal, but transferring and waivers are not new. Nothing to do with protection detail, just an understanding of what is being attempted build wise. We will see if it’s successful or not.
So, transfer portal player are not included in "building", correct?

The portal is significantly different today than it was while Pitino was here
(no sit out year, which is a huge difference for a 29 year old). Under today’s rules, Carr joins an otherwise loaded ncaa roster that was missing a point guard. Lynch and others weee successful here. The issue was not that Pitino added pieces through the portal, IMO it was that he could not
develop role players. You say he Pitino “built” through portal, I say he “supplemented”.

Also, the classic developmental program, Wisconsin, is unwatchable right now.

So, transfer portal player are not included in "building", correct?
Not correct. It’s a part of it, but can’t be the main part. Very rarely works. Illinois is the one example this year. The rest of the better teams have done with mainly HS recruiting and development. Ignoring the portal completely would be incompetent.

Not correct. It’s a part of it, but can’t be the main part. Very rarely works. Illinois is the one example this year. The rest of the better teams have done with mainly HS recruiting and development. Ignoring the portal completely would be incompetent.
So, individual player performance is the real measurement of each team member. And then their individual contributions to the performance of the team.

Not sure how you define "main". Is Garica a "main part"? Cooper? Battle?

The portal is significantly different today than it was while Pitino was here
(no sit out year, which is a huge difference for a 29 year old). Under today’s rules, Carr joins an otherwise loaded ncaa roster that was missing a point guard. Lynch and others weee successful here. The issue was not that Pitino added pieces through the portal, IMO it was that he could not
develop role players. You say he Pitino “built” through portal, I say he “supplemented”.

Also, the classic developmental program, Wisconsin, is unwatchable right now.
I didn’t say squat about Pitino in my posts. Pitinos best teams were led by HS recruits anyways (Coffey, Oturo, Murphy, and Mason). I’m talking about the current power structure in the B1G and how teams are built. The portal is fine and shouldn’t be avoided, but for longevity and sustainability, it’s not the best option.

So, individual player performance is the real measurement of each team member. And then their individual contributions to the performance of the team.
Of course it’s the measure
Not sure how you define "main". Is Garica a "main part"? Cooper? Battle?
Top prices. We’ve done fine with Battle, Garcia, and Cooper. They were multiple year guys (at least eligibility wise). The foundation of the program will need to be reliant on HS recruiting and player development with portal additions added in, not as the expected main source of production.

Of course it’s the measure

Top prices. We’ve done fine with Battle, Garcia, and Cooper. They were multiple year guys (at least eligibility wise). The foundation of the program will need to be reliant on HS recruiting and player development with portal additions added in, not as the expected main source of production.
So the main source of production are portal players. Just as the past few teams have been, and will likely be in the next few years. Cooper, Battle, Garcia. So to say teams are "built" mainly with HS players isn't real, frankly, with respect to production.

BTW - MN hasn't done fine with those fellows, with respect to winning. And winning is the goal, last I checked.

Nothing to see here…just move along. We can’t give the crown to this squad yet. I do think they’ll eke out another 2 wins. But wondering how much “the cupboard was so bare” comments have been made over the course of 118 years, as that seems to be the rallying cry of the CBJ apologists. If this program sets the record in the age of the transfer portal, that’s saying something. All previous coaches (save for end of Pitino era) didn’t get the benefit of a massive free-agent pool that this staff gets, and yet here we are.
This is what "turning the corner" looks like. You should be more accepting of this, just deal with it

Just like Haskins. He had a 17-game conference losing streak in this first 2 years.

It's college basketball. You inherit a team. 4-year cycles of players. They start out young and get better as they go. Etc. But nobody seems to understand this.
OK, then I will expect a sweet sixteen and an elite 8 coming the next couple years!:ROFLMAO:

This 'how best to build' conversation is a good topic. We're early in this era, so it's yet to be seen, but I'll go out on a limb and say it won't be much different than the pro leagues: a combination. Your foundation will be HS recruiting, but you'll fill holes in the portal. The difference is that there's no salary cap in NCAABB, so some coaches can and will use transfers robustly. It's the real-life movie Fast Break!

One thing that has always haunted me: After the Wild ran to the conference championship in 2003, Doug Risebrough was almost apologetic, saying that this wasn't their preferred way of building a team and that they needed to get younger and soon. Well, they did get younger, and they haven't even sniffed that amount of postseason success since. There is something to say for veteran help.

I didn’t say squat about Pitino in my posts. Pitinos best teams were led by HS recruits anyways (Coffey, Oturo, Murphy, and Mason). I’m talking about the current power structure in the B1G and how teams are built. The portal is fine and shouldn’t be avoided, but for longevity and sustainability, it’s not the best option.
We agree, I just misinterpreted a sentence in an earlier post of yours (#26) to be a dig at Pitino using the portal. And then it snowballed on me.

In Eden Prairie we are an ethical community where racism is not tolerated.

A good person gave a lesson on responsible use of social media. This person is in no way shape or form is a racist. On the contrary, he is a good servant for good.

Me a citizen of Eden Prairie attest to the strong support in our community for the said person who is a man of good character and in no way shape or form a racist. In fact, he is a servant.

We in Eden Prairie would not tolerate any whiff of raciam.

After proper due process -- after proper due process -- an appropriate consequence and remedy was made. Of course people are aware of very bad words that in this case was used for the good intention in service of teaching responsible social media use by a good man. We in Eden Prairie are a community of high ethics and are standing by this good man.

In fact, he received loud applause at his return. The consequence was appropriate and the due process given sound.

I vigorously denounce any suggestions that my community or such individual are racist. In fact, we set a standard for an ethical community in that regard.

1675209205347.png

I guess Ben should have recruited these guys his first spring, after all of Pitino's players bailed. I wonder where Clem would have been if all of Dutcher's players had left...
Dutcher’s players didn’t leave because Clem successfully recruited them to stay. Ben wasn’t willing or able to do the same with Pitino’s guys, save Ihnen.

A good person gave a lesson on responsible use of social media. This person is in no way shape or form is a racist. On the contrary, he is a good servant for good.

Me a citizen of Eden Prairie attest to the strong support in our community for the said person who is a man of good character and in no way shape or form a racist. In fact, he is a servant.

After proper due process -- after proper due process -- an appropriate consequence and remedy was made. Of course people are aware of very bad words that in this case was used for the good intention in service of teaching responsible social media use by a good man. We in Eden Prairie are a community of high ethics and are standing by this good man.

In fact, he received loud applause at his return. The consequence was appropriate and the due process given sound.

I vigorously denounce any suggestions that my community or such individual are racist. In fact, we set a standard for an ethical community in that regard.

View attachment 23579
Lol you're just a wanna be in Edina with less disposable income

Dutcher’s players didn’t leave because Clem successfully recruited them to stay. Ben wasn’t willing or able to do the same with Pitino’s guys, save Ihnen
Carr and Kalscheur not being on the Gophers right now is pretty sad.
Mashburn wasn't gonna stay, was a Pitino recruit through and through.

Those are the 3 players from the 2020 team that you lost that would've changed BJ's success in years 1 and 2.
*Robbins didn't play until Feb last season, and is out again this year.

The rest: Both Gach, Tre Williams, Martice Mitchell, Sam Freeman... who cares?
Mutaf and Omersa left during the season.

Dutcher’s players didn’t leave because Clem successfully recruited them to stay. Ben wasn’t willing or able to do the same with Pitino’s guys, save Ihnen.
Perhaps, but it didn't hurt that leaving meant sitting out a year. How many would have left with an open portal, we will never know.
The two eras are like apples and oranges. You cannot compare them evenly.
No sense crying over spilled milk. Just ride the wave, no matter how slow it goes.

Perhaps, but it didn't hurt that leaving meant sitting out a year. How many would have left with an open portal, we will never know.
The two eras are like apples and oranges. You cannot compare them evenly.
No sense crying over spilled milk. Just ride the wave, no matter how slow it goes.
The problem is that the lake is smooth as glass this year. And the ocean is 2000 miles away.

Reactions: MRJ

I guess Ben should have recruited these guys his first spring, after all of Pitino's players bailed. I wonder where Clem would have been if all of Dutcher's players had left...
Ben had the opportunity to recruit all of Pitino's players. Nobody had left when Ben got the job.
They were all waiting for Musselman or Dutcher or the like. Ben arrived and they moved on, including the guy from the same high school and after he hired the old high school coach...even he left.

Ben had the opportunity to recruit all of Pitino's players. Nobody had left when Ben got the job.
They were all waiting for Musselman or Dutcher or the like. Ben arrived and they moved on, including the guy from the same high school and after he hired the old high school coach...even he left.
I suspect Ben wasn’t well liked by the Pitino staff and players.

play-the-race.jpg

Yours is a narrative of fantasy. It's what you want to have happened or been the reason.

We could’ve hired the ISU coach and Gabe still would’ve left. No coach could’ve kept him here. Same with Carr or Mashburn. Brandon Johnson or Both could’ve been had. Robbins was going with his uncle. Who from the others would’ve actually helped us win more games?

Top Bottom