Greder: .100 BT winning percentage currently sits as the second-worst winning percentage in program history.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Greder:

That .100 winning percentage currently sits as the second-worst winning percentage in program history.

If Minnesota doesn’t win another conference game in February or early March, this season’s team would set the lowest winning percentage (.050) in its history as a Big Ten school. That’s 118 years in the making.

Four Gophers team in the 1920 and 1930s are currently tied for the worst winning percentages (.083) in program history. That was back when Minnesota played 12 conference games. This year’s squad needs just one win to avoid that ignominy.

Go Gophers!!

Per Greder:

That .100 winning percentage currently sits as the second-worst winning percentage in program history.

If Minnesota doesn’t win another conference game in February or early March, this season’s team would set the lowest winning percentage (.050) in its history as a Big Ten school. That’s 118 years in the making.

Four Gophers team in the 1920 and 1930s are currently tied for the worst winning percentages (.083) in program history. That was back when Minnesota played 12 conference games. This year’s squad needs just one win to avoid that ignominy.

Go Gophers!!
Nothing to see here…just move along. We can’t give the crown to this squad yet. I do think they’ll eke out another 2 wins. But wondering how much “the cupboard was so bare” comments have been made over the course of 118 years, as that seems to be the rallying cry of the CBJ apologists. If this program sets the record in the age of the transfer portal, that’s saying something. All previous coaches (save for end of Pitino era) didn’t get the benefit of a massive free-agent pool that this staff gets, and yet here we are.

Ben and Fleck. Doing things not seen in decades.

Well, let's sincerely hope this year's team avoids that ignominy. Even if they do, this and last year's teams have been quite a two-year run.

Been a rough start to the CBJ era. This year the staff messed up not taking another guard, seemed like Josiah Strong wanted to be here, but ironically I don't think he's been healthy at Colorado State. Maybe Fox and Isiah were versatile enough defenders to make this bigger line up work but I have my doubts on that now with both having two major knee injuries

Just like Haskins. He had a 17-game conference losing streak in this first 2 years.

It's college basketball. You inherit a team. 4-year cycles of players. They start out young and get better as they go. Etc. But nobody seems to understand this.

I'd be shocked if they dont win at least 1 more.

I'd guess two wins. Battle and Garcia(if healthy) can score solidly enough that we can accidentally win 1 more.

Just like Haskins. He had a 17-game conference losing streak in this first 2 years.

It's college basketball. You inherit a team. 4-year cycles of players. They start out young and get better as they go. Etc. But nobody seems to understand this.
I love this Clem stuff, like somehow regardless we were predestined too be this bad no matter who had taken over.

Can we please never again fire a coach again then? I don't have many more 4 year bad stretches in me. :)

Seriously, this is exactly what I was concerned about when the talk about firing Pitino ramped up. We were going to hire another up and comer and suffer the "inevitable" 4 year rebuild just as college basketball is converting to a pro sport with free agency and no draft.

It's just college basketball. In the scope of what's important, these kids winning or losing are far down the list. If the kids win, great. If they lose, we'll try again next time.

Except this year's roster has nowhere near the young talent that Clem had in his 2nd year. It's not even in the same stratosphere.

clem.PNG

Except this year's roster has nowhere near the young talent that Clem had in his 2nd year. It's not even in the same stratosphere.

View attachment 23535
Some of those guys were pretty raw at that point in time. You cold see the talent with Willie and Melvin and you could see the toughness in Coffey who was well into his 20's but they were not good as a group at all. There was no one on that team- that at that point in their career - who was as good as Garcia or Battle, for example.

The quitter’s mantra.
In the press release and public statements surrounding the donation for St. Thomas' new arena, their administration made it clear that success in sports is a big deal that affects not just their financial bottom line but the perception of the institution among the public and prospective students. It makes sense. If you prove to be competent in sports, you're a good bet to be competent in other things. It shows you have your act together.

View attachment 23535
I guess Ben should have recruited these guys his first spring, after all of Pitino's players bailed. I wonder where Clem would have been if all of Dutcher's players had left...

Some of those guys were pretty raw at that point in time. You cold see the talent with Willie and Melvin and you could see the toughness in Coffey who was well into his 20's but they were not good as a group at all. There was no one on that team- that at that point in their career - who was as good as Garcia or Battle, for example.

Willie's numbers were right there with Garcia and Battle's this season, and he was only in his 2nd season. That's the big difference between Clem's 2nd year team and this one. Clem's was led by three 2nd year players. This year's team is led by a 3rd year player, and two 4th year players. They also start a 5th year player. And this older group is worse than that younger group.

I guess Ben should have recruited these guys his first spring, after all of Pitino's players bailed. I wonder where Clem would have been if all of Dutcher's players had left...

I wonder how much better Clem's early teams would have been if he could have recruited transfers here who didn't have to sit out a year...

College basketball recruiting is vastly different now than when Clem took over.

But nobody seems to understand this.

I wonder how much better Clem's early teams would have been if he could have recruited transfers here who didn't have to sit out a year...
Well...he recruited an old paratrooper who no one knew...

College basketball recruiting is vastly different now than when Clem took over.

But nobody seems to understand this.
Actually everybody pretty much understands it. If we talk about how much easier it is with the portal, then we can add the complexities of NIL, more P5 teams/competition, more guys leaving for pros, etc…
B1G development doesn’t require losing, but longevity is pretty much sustained throw high school recruiting. It’s rare to do it through the portal and have success here. Seems like that is what Ben is trying to do, we will see if it works or not.

Actually everybody pretty much understands it. If we talk about how much easier it is with the portal, then we can add the complexities of NIL, more P5 teams/competition, more guys leaving for pros, etc…
B1G development doesn’t require losing, but longevity is pretty much sustained throw high school recruiting. It’s rare to do it through the portal and have success here. Seems like that is what Ben is trying to do, we will see if it works or not.
I think you missed the joke

Hasn't the portal only been around a short time? Yet, you state longevity is "pretty much sustained"....we will see, correct?

CBJ Protection Detail ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Top Bottom