Greater Minnesota Hidden Gems

Damn, how long has the Trylon been around? I was just perusing their website and I am aching inside that I either wasn’t aware of it or it started operations after I moved away.
Not sure. I went every month before I moved away. They always have frequent events there. I went to a feature called Tape Freaks. Which showed a mystery film once per month. Looks like they're still doing it. Was typically something in the horror or exploitation genre. But my friend and I always had a good time.

Trylon Cinema in Minneapolis is a cool little theater if you wanna catch an old film.

Getting some walleye in Bemidji is amazing too. One of the restaurants there told me they get their stock from Red Lake, just north. Some of the best I've had in the state.

I've been to, and taken my oldest daughter to so many classic films there. Fast Times, The Warriors, 16 Candles, Good, the Bad & the Ugly, etc.

Also a big fan of the Parkway Theater. Thursdays they often to do music & a classic movie with some sort of theme. A few weeks back was 'Kinda Kinky' a Kinks tribute band opening up, then a showing of Rushmore (Wes Anderson uses a lot of Kinks songs).

I took my kids to see a 'Top Gun' matinee on the 4th of July. People were dressed in costume & shouting out the lines, a la Rocky Horror.

I once went to 'An evening with Gary Busey' at the Parkway. He did a Q & A about the Buddy Holly Story, then they showed the Buddy Holly Story, then Gary & the Buddytones played Buddy's hits, and finally there were photo ops with Gary, all while a documentary was being filmed. Oh, and they have a bar.

I've been to, and taken my oldest daughter to so many classic films there. Fast Times, The Warriors, 16 Candles, Good, the Bad & the Ugly, etc.

Also a big fan of the Parkway Theater. Thursdays they often to do music & a classic movie with some sort of theme. A few weeks back was 'Kinda Kinky' a Kinks tribute band opening up, then a showing of Rushmore (Wes Anderson uses a lot of Kinks songs).

I took my kids to see a 'Top Gun' matinee on the 4th of July. People were dressed in costume & shouting out the lines, a la Rocky Horror.

I once went to 'An evening with Gary Busey' at the Parkway. He did a Q & A about the Buddy Holly Story, then they showed the Buddy Holly Story, then Gary & the Buddytones played Buddy's hits, and finally there were photo ops with Gary, all while a documentary was being filmed. Oh, and they have a bar.
That sounds so awesome. I love how the B-tier celebrities will just chill with fans. Would love to ask Gary about Gingerdead Man. I actually am far more familiar with his brother, Jake. In stuff like Frighteners and Starship Troopers. Got to meet him at a horror convention a few years back.

That sounds so awesome. I love how the B-tier celebrities will just chill with fans. Would love to ask Gary about Gingerdead Man. I actually am far more familiar with his brother, Jake. In stuff like Frighteners and Starship Troopers. Got to meet him at a horror convention a few years back.
Perhaps there's a joke I'm missing, and my apologies if so, but Gary is Jake's dad.

How does Niagara Cave compare to Mystery Cave? My daughters and I visited the latter a number of years ago.

The feedback I've gotten from my travelers is that southeast Minnesota might be out of scope of this loop, just because theres so much to do down there, we have a limited number of days, and looping around southeast before heading west might blow a realistic timeline. I think it's likely we'll extend next year's Mid West Music Fest trip to do a southeast loop.

My wife and I did Harmony with another couple many years ago (before we had kids), and we've always talked about going back. We stayed at a B&B that was part owned by a former Amish man, and he took us on a non-official Amish country tour that gave us some inside access to a few farms and people. It was so interesting! Memorable trip.
I've only done Niagara Cave. But from what I gather, Niagara is maybe a little bigger and has the underground waterfall.

Maybe you should just do SE MN and skip the rest of the state. I mean...how many times can you visit the North Shore, Great North Woods, and lake country before it gets old? (Being facetious of course. :) ) Driftless 4 life!

This is a thread about Greater Minnesota! No one cares about your seedy Minneapolis cinemas!

I've only done Niagara Cave. But from what I gather, Niagara is maybe a little bigger and has the underground waterfall.

Maybe you should just do SE MN and skip the rest of the state. I mean...how many times can you visit the North Shore, Great North Woods, and lake country before it gets old? (Being facetious of course. :) ) Driftless 4 life!
It's so true about the driftless area in general! And that includes the Iowa, Wisconsin and Illinois areas, too. My wife and I can't stop going back to Galena, Illinois; we're overnighting there again in August on our way to roadtripping through MIssouri.

So many cool nooks and crannies in the driftless. If you're ever driving through Wisconsin on US 61, stop in Dickeyville at the Catholic church. There's a massive grotto there that was built piece by piece by a former pastor there in the early 20th century. It's one of those roadside oddities that you have to see to believe.

Top Bottom