Great job on music from 3rd to 4th quarter - thread updated w/ video of students

I've seen it. It isn't awesome because of the song, it's the tradition and they've been doing it for 12 years now. Freshmen this year weren't even born when that song was released and the genre is dead or dying in terms of mainstream exposure to new potential listeners. Time to get used to something new the student body isn't going to be getting any older.

Therefore, it shouldn't matter what songs are selected as long as all fans buy into it and participate in it. You are probably correct in appealing to the students with a song they enjoy. But keep in mind, and you said it yourself, genres can fade. So whatever the song, the tradition needs to start and be carried on by student body and fans.

Sweet Caroline was released in 1969. It's not my favorite genre, nor favorite Neil Diamond song for that matter. Yet, I find myself screaming the lyrics at games.

Jump On It (Sugarhill) - released in 1999. Incoming freshmen were in Kindergarten. Yet, when played, they would participate and probably love it.

Metallica Enter Sandman (1991) - Works well in Blacksburg. Has nothing to do with a 30-40 year old crowd recapturing their youth.

Jump Around (1992) - well, I'll decline further comment.

The tradition and exposure comments are spot on in my opinion. The need for something new (current genre) doesn't necessarily matter. While student body doesn't get any older, remember all songs do.

Moving away from a song, to something new isn't tradition. It's starting something new.

im so glad maturi is gone. Feel a lot more comfortable with our athletics in the hands of teague.

They zoomed in on Harbison and someone else on the big screen who were really into the music. Winning changes everything!

Martez Shabazz on the sidelines is sight to see. I worry he might re-injure himself if he keeps it up.

I appreciate the video, but please post any additional links if more examples show up on youtube or elsewhere. This one seems to focus in on the band a lot and for me, the real story was the size of the student section and the fact they were all into it... both decks. This video doesn't even pan up to the second deck at all and only offers a couple seconds worth of wide angle looks of the first deck.

More night games please!!!!...especially early in the season. In November, love the 2:30 starts. Night games just have a different energy level. No way it's a sellout if it's a 11:00 AM game. No way the students are as fired up. My section (105) was a rowdy as I've ever seen it.

Favorites games to attend at TCF: Air Force and Mich St in '09. Iowa in '10 and '11. Syracuse in '12. What do all of those games have in common? NONE of them were 11:00 AM starts.

I know TV drives the majority of the gametime decisions but we need to lobby as hard as possible for anything other than 11:00 AM starting times. They are soul-crunching start times for the type of fans that cause the electric atmospheres at sporting events.

More night games please!!!!...especially early in the season. In November, love the 2:30 starts. Night games just have a different energy level. No way it's a sellout if it's a 11:00 AM game. No way the students are as fired up. My section (105) was a rowdy as I've ever seen it.

Favorites games to attend at TCF: Air Force and Mich St in '09. Iowa in '10 and '11. Syracuse in '12. What do all of those games have in common? NONE of them were 11:00 AM starts.

I know TV drives the majority of the gametime decisions but we need to lobby as hard as possible for anything other than 11:00 AM starting times. They are soul-crunching start times for the type of fans that cause the electric atmospheres at sporting events.

Yep! Not one good reason to have any game start at 11:00 a.m..

Convince the producers and execs at BTN/ESPN and you will have a schedule identical to last season (absolutely no 11:00AM starts). Unfortunately, ratings sucked for a majority of gopher games last year. BTN lost a lot of ad revenue because of our performance, thus they gave us the crap start times.

2:30 games or later are great for fans, and I believe all B1G schools were advocating for no 11:00AM starts as a goal in the beginning of the season. Too bad almost everything is driven by making money.

The crowd really responded when "Gangnam Style" was played. There are a number of parody videos out there. There are videos with Jar Jar Binks dancing to the music - in other words "Gungan Style".

What the U needs to do is to have Goldy Gopher dancing to this song. Instead of "Oppa Gangnam Style", call it "Goldy Gopher Style".

I am a 105'er too. I was not there on Saturday, but the people who had my tickets said it was rocking.

Convince the producers and execs at BTN/ESPN and you will have a schedule identical to last season (absolutely no 11:00AM starts). Unfortunately, ratings sucked for a majority of gopher games last year. BTN lost a lot of ad revenue because of our performance, thus they gave us the crap start times.

2:30 games or later are great for fans, and I believe all B1G schools were advocating for no 11:00AM starts as a goal in the beginning of the season. Too bad almost everything is driven by making money.

Its too bad that they can't come up with a 12:30 time slot, 3:30 time slot, and a 7:00 time slot. Seems like there isn't a lot of games on late in the afternoon before the primetime game. Again, I have no facts to look this up, but it always seems the majority of the games are early. Why can't the majority be in the middle of the afternoon?

Therefore, it shouldn't matter what songs are selected as long as all fans buy into it and participate in it. You are probably correct in appealing to the students with a song they enjoy. But keep in mind, and you said it yourself, genres can fade. So whatever the song, the tradition needs to start and be carried on by student body and fans.

Sweet Caroline was released in 1969. It's not my favorite genre, nor favorite Neil Diamond song for that matter. Yet, I find myself screaming the lyrics at games.

Jump On It (Sugarhill) - released in 1999. Incoming freshmen were in Kindergarten. Yet, when played, they would participate and probably love it.

Metallica Enter Sandman (1991) - Works well in Blacksburg. Has nothing to do with a 30-40 year old crowd recapturing their youth.

Jump Around (1992) - well, I'll decline further comment.

The tradition and exposure comments are spot on in my opinion. The need for something new (current genre) doesn't necessarily matter. While student body doesn't get any older, remember all songs do.

Moving away from a song, to something new isn't tradition. It's starting something new.
Sweet Caroline is experiencing a rebirth because of its karaoke staying power and the "Glee" influence. The others are all hip-hop, a genre that still resonates with the current student body. Metal, as a genre, is dying.

This is not exactly true. According to some folks within the athletic department that I spoke with recently, Minnesota was in the top five in ratings in the Big Ten last year, and that even they were under the belief that the Western half of the Big Ten was going to have fewer 11:00am starts. Remember, the Eastern half of the conference doesn't start at 11:00am, they start at 12:00pm their time, so the idea was (supposedly) that more of those games would start in the early time slot. Apparently that idea has shifted somewhat. Regardless, ratings are not the issue here, which may surprise some.

As a fan watching mostly on TV, I don't really mind the 11am games. But for the program and anyone attending the game the 11am start is just ridiculous.

Why not 12noon and 3pm(central times)? Seems to work fine for the NFL.

1pm or 1:30 would probably be ideal, but 12noon would be a whole lot better than 11am.

On another note, we need the break up the 'both home or both away' games with Iowa and Wisconsin.

Go Gophers!!*

Top Bottom