All Things Grayson Grove Recruitment Thread (Class of 2024, Alexandria, MN; 6-8, 190lb; Gophers Commit!

Not Bens fault but the inability to correct whatever is causing this is a reflection on the coach. If you have ever had the good fortune of interacting with someone that has this innate ability you would recognize the difference. Everyone goes through slumps but a good coach will be able to direct the shooter to get out of the slump. I expect more, maybe this skill is very rare but I think it will differentiate the average from the exceptional.
Could Coach K make TT a starter at Duke?

Gophers watching closely as Alexandria big man Grayson Grove expands game​

Grayson Grove had his teammates hollering every time he ran the floor and dunked the ball with authority during a drill at a recent D1 MinnesotaAAU practice.

The 6-9 Grove provided an inside presence for Alexandria this season, but the growth of his all-around game caught the attention of the Gophers this spring. Coach Ben Johnson offered a scholarship to the Class of 2024 forward in April.

It was a special moment for Grove to receive his first high-major offer from the home state program.

"With that Gophers offer, it really meant a lot that the coaches believed in me," Grove said about the Gophers staff, including assistant Dave Thorson. "They've been recruiting me for a while, so it felt really good for them to offer me. I really appreciate them for the opportunity, and I'm excited about it.”

Grove will play Friday through Sunday in the Prep Hoops Battle at the Lakes in the Twin Cities. Among his teammates are Gophers recruit and Cherry guard Isaac Asuma, who committed to the U in March.

Asuma loves Grove's game and hopes the rising big man joins him in maroon and gold. They both displayed their potential on the biggest stage playing in the high school state tournament this season.

"If we could play together in college that would be awesome," Asuma said on Grove. "He's a great shot blocker and post player. I know he can shoot the three. This AAU season he hasn't as much but I know he can from the state tournament and other games. He's a really good teammate. He's super positive and keeps everything light."

Go Gophers!!

I love the fact that Asuma is involved! Part of restoring a program is to get the players involved in helping pull in and recruit the guys you need. If the players you have are all in, you will get more.

I love the fact that Asuma is involved! Part of restoring a program is to get the players involved in helping pull in and recruit the guys you need. If the players you have are all in, you will get more.
Learning from Carrington.

I predict he will commit to the Gophers then we will have a bunch of posts saying that his offer list isn’t that great and that his commitment doesn’t really do much for the program. If he commits somewhere else however those same posters will complain that Johnson and staff can’t close the deal against a bunch of mid majors for an instate kid.

I predict he will commit to the Gophers then we will have a bunch of posts saying that his offer list isn’t that great and that his commitment doesn’t really do much for the program. If he commits somewhere else however those same posters will complain that Johnson and staff can’t close the deal against a bunch of mid majors for an instate kid.
Both would be accurate responses. The way to stop that is to go after players that peer programs also want, and reel them in.

Both would be accurate responses. The way to stop that is to go after players that peer programs also want, and reel them in.
Not really. People need to not be so simple about this. There is a lot to criticize about what Ben and staff have done to this point, but identifying talent early in the recruiting process isn't one of them. They have offered early on a number of kids who other peer programs and blue bloods later offered. They may simply be ahead of other programs as it is still very early in Grove's recruitment and he may be ready to commit.

Nah. In state kid and we have yet to ever have a scholarship issue. No downside in taking him, even if he's Treyton Thompson level.

I'm not just saying it for the reasons everyone compares every white WR to Decker or Welker, but he reminds of the typical WI post player.

He is pretty skilled and good size without elite athleticism. He'll help our program quite a bit. In the one game I watched on youtube, he absolutely dominate Kapke who I think is a good player.

This is a good get for Ben.

I admittedly have never seen him play, but he's an unranked prospect at this point still. In reading up, he looks to be a stretch 4. Hope he can add some weight. 6-8, 190 is super thin.
From 247
"Grayson led Alexandria to state this year going 25-6 on the season. In the middle of the year Grove was reported as averaging 23 points and 8.5 rebounds a game shooting 65 percent from the floor and 48 percent from the arc. In three games at state Grove scored 60 points with 25 rebounds shooting 21 of 33 from the field, 4 of 8 at the arc, and 14 of 17 at the free throw line (against Mankato East, Totino-Grace and Orono)..........."I certainly have to get stronger all around," Grove said. "Even mentally stronger too. That will come with time. I will be in the weight room. I have to develop all parts of my game, and I need to become more consistent shooting threes, shooting from mid-range, and I need to keep working on my post moves."

Last edited:

Top Bottom