Gray: The Insight Bowl

Reaction score
Forgive me if you covered this weeks ago (obviously I never saw it if you did), but does everyone recall the following paragraph from the Star Tribune prior to the Insight Bowl:

Minnesota quarterback MarQueis Gray is expected to see increased playing time at both wide receiver and quarterback in the Insight Bowl against Iowa State. "We're going to try to wear him out pretty good," Brewster said of Gray. "He's going to play a whole bunch."

While watching the Bowl game I never got the impression that Gray was playing a whole bunch or being worn out. Unfortunately, Coach Brewster seems to unnecessarily commit himself in a variety of situations. For example, at the end of his first season, Coach Brewster said (and I quote): "Adam Weber is going to be an outstanding Big Ten quarterback for the next three years". Immediately after hearing that, I sent Coach Brewster an email suggesting that he implicitly handed Weber the job and may have sent the wrong message to the other quarterbacks at the time (I was obviously mostly referring to his son). Lo and behold, his son transfers schools, although it was probably for other reasons, of course. The point is, why say it on the radio? Can't he just keep certain thoughts in his head? Or what about his "kill shot" quote regarding the hiring of Fisch? Can some of you insiders counsel Coach Brewster in this regard? Thanks.

Contrary to my only other post on this board (which was negative on Brewster), I've come full circle and now want to see what Coach Brewster can do (I've been significantly influenced by the many pro-Brewster people on this forum who appear to have played college football). In fact, I'm not opposed to giving him four more years. Wouldn't everyone on this forum, and I mean everyone, agree that seven years is enough time for Brewster to prove himself? It would answer all questions once and for all, and you guys could find something else to discuss in the meantime.

I will never be a regular poster on this board (because I'm too long winded), but many of you guys on here are witty and hilarious and I really enjoy reading what you have to say. Keep up the good work.

I think Brewster has wanted to give Gray more playing time, but he hasn't had the situations he's comfortable playing him in. If we weren't playing catchup in the Insight Bowl, Gray most likely would have had more playing time. It's seems that they like Gray's potential, but are more comfortable with Weber getting the most snaps when the game is on the line. I'm hoping Gray steps up this spring and wins the job.

The one thing that I still struggle with is the Minnesota culture of labeling someone a failure before they complete their job as acceptable, but announcing someone as outstanding before they complete their job is a crime of terrible offense.

Brewster talks out of his a$$ more than any coach I've ever seen, he just makes himself look foolish. Now he gaurentees Sid that the whole staff will be back when it looks like that's not true either. Maturi hired an a$$clown, it's that simple.

You are a joke

Brewster talks out of his a$$ more than any coach I've ever seen, he just makes himself look foolish. Now he gaurentees Sid that the whole staff will be back when it looks like that's not true either. Maturi hired an a$$clown, it's that simple.

No, you talk out of your a$$. You wouldn't know anything about college football and coaches even if if hit you square in the a$$. You can't even spell "guarantees", you dope. Go away and find somewhere else spread your idiotic crap.:p

No, you talk out of your a$$. You wouldn't know anything about college football and coaches even if if hit you square in the a$$. You can't even spell "guarantees", you dope. Go away and find somewhere else spread your idiotic crap.:p

Keep living in your delusional world. Brewster has less than 12 months left as Minnesota's head coach, deal with it. And apparently you can't even spell "it" as you spelled it "if". If you're going to correct someone's spelling you'd think you would at least proof read your own post. See how dumb it is to correct spelling and grammer on a message board?

Keep living in your delusional world. Brewster has less than 12 months left as Minnesota's head coach, deal with it. And apparently you can't even spell "it" as you spelled it "if". If you're going to correct someone's spelling you'd think you would at least proof read your own post. See how dumb it is to correct spelling and grammer on a message board?

Man. Get up on the wrong side of the Gopherhole this morning did we?
Just tell me you will still be happy to be proven wrong. Most of the anti-brewster crowd should at least be willing to set aside their anti-Brew agenda if he ends up winning big games next year.
If not, well, OK. Good for you I guess.

Man. Get up on the wrong side of the Gopherhole this morning did we?
Just tell me you will still be happy to be proven wrong. Most of the anti-brewster crowd should at least be willing to set aside their anti-Brew agenda if he ends up winning big games next year.
If not, well, OK. Good for you I guess.
Of course I will. I'll be cheering hard for him to succeed next year and would love to see him beat Wisky and Iowa and keep his job. I just know that's not going to happen. I would love to be wrong though. I've been a huge supporter of Brestwer until this year. I'll never get over the Dunbar firing and the Fisch hiring.

I thought Gray played quite a bit & played damn well (One glaring fumble aside). I expect to see his role expand next season and think Brew will be around beyond next season in large part because of Gray.

Minnesotans generally see confidence & excitement as negative traits, so that works against Brewster. For whatever reason we equate stoic Bud Grant-like behavior as the model to emulagte. In the age of self promotion I think Brew's got the right idea. People like to call him a "salesman" as if it's an insult. He IS a salesman, a damn good one in fact. His product is the Minnesota football program and it blows my mind that so many fans don't want him to sell it.

Of course I will. I'll be cheering hard for him to succeed next year and would love to see him beat Wisky and Iowa and keep his job. I just know that's not going to happen. I would love to be wrong though. I've been a huge supporter of Brestwer until this year. I'll never get over the Dunbar firing and the Fisch hiring.

It was easy for me to get over the Dunbar firing. Midway through Dunbar's last season, Brewster said they were going to get better at short yardage situations and Dunbar never put in, or called, plays that would do that. Brewster gave him complete control of the offense and it was easy to see that after 2 years Dunbar wasn't working out and had to go. I think if Dunbar would have been more flexible and a little more respectful, he may still be here today.

The Fisch hiring is a little baffling, but understandable at the same time. Brewster was turned down by at least 3 guys and probably felt a little pressure to get the hire done. Fisch had glowing reports from coaches that Brewster trusts and must have done very well in the interview. Fisch also looks like a very smart guy and if he sticks around he could turn out to be a good one.

I thought Gray played quite a bit & played damn well (One glaring fumble aside). I expect to see his role expand next season and think Brew will be around beyond next season in large part because of Gray.

Minnesotans generally see confidence & excitement as negative traits, so that works against Brewster. For whatever reason we equate stoic Bud Grant-like behavior as the model to emulagte. In the age of self promotion I think Brew's got the right idea. People like to call him a "salesman" as if it's an insult. He IS a salesman, a damn good one in fact. His product is the Minnesota football program and it blows my mind that so many fans don't want him to sell it.

Agreed; the only problem with your post is there should be a photo of Reusse next to the second paragraph.

You will be cheering for him to succeed?, yet your post says you were a supporter of Brewster until meaning you are not a supporter now. Your post is a lie. You are a negative troll and your posts are always negative. Don't lie about what you are, just say you want the Gophers to lose.

You will be cheering for him to succeed?, yet your post says you were a supporter of Brewster until meaning you are not a supporter now. Your post is a lie. You are a negative troll and your posts are always negative. Don't lie about what you are, just say you want the Gophers to lose.

When I say I'm no longer a Brewster supporter I simply mean I no longer think he's the man for the job and I don't think he'll end up being successful. How does that mean I'm cheering for him and the Gophers to lose? I'll always cheer for the Gophers to win. Just because I don't think we have the right coach doesn't mean I'm cheering against them. It really isn't that hard to understand, but for you I guess it is.

Apparently to you believing in your coach and cheering for the team are the same thing. Are all those Notre Dame fans who wanted Weis gone before this year yet still cheered for the team to do well this year liars and they really wanted them to lose? You really don't believe you can cheer for the team while thinking you have a bad coach? Wow.

No, because if you want the coach gone the team needs to do poorly. So you hope the team does poorly so the coach can be fired so you can say "I knew that coach would not succeed" If the team wins, the coach succeeds and you lose.

No, because if you want the coach gone the team needs to do poorly. So you hope the team does poorly so the coach can be fired so you can say "I knew that coach would not succeed" If the team wins, the coach succeeds and you lose.

I never said I wanted him gone, I said I think he will be gone. Reading comprehension is a wonderful thing. I want Brewster to succeed and to be here forever, but I can't make myself believe that will happen when I simply don't. What you believe will happen and what you hope will happen can be two different things. It's such a simple concept.

Long time lurker(5 years), first time poster.

DMB123, you are the a$$clown, go back to Wisconsin.

That is all.

People dislike Brewster for being excited about the program and being a salesman. They say they'd love for him to be more stoic. However, the same people dislike Brad childress for being un-emotional and stoic... Neither way is pleasing to Minnesotans if the team isn't winning. I'm guessing people would love Brewster's optemistic and passionate approach to the program if the team was winning almost all of their games.

Back on topic, the OP is 100% correct -- and I've spoken to many people alluding to this as well. Just what happened that Gray didn't play at WR as intended? Why did we only see him run the ball at QB, and never (at any point in the year) did we see another trick play (a la Cal) - let alone as a standard WR.

Gray is waaaay too talented to not be on the field. I really want to know if the problem is Gray, Fisch, Brewster, etc.

Back on topic, the OP is 100% correct -- and I've spoken to many people alluding to this as well. Just what happened that Gray didn't play at WR as intended? Why did we only see him run the ball at QB, and never (at any point in the year) did we see another trick play (a la Cal) - let alone as a standard WR.

Gray is waaaay too talented to not be on the field. I really want to know if the problem is Gray, Fisch, Brewster, etc.

He had 2-3 catches in the bowl game i believe. His future is bright.
The lack of trick plays was probably due to the coaches trying to simplify things, Fisch wasn't shy about trick plays all year.
Ultimately his critical fumble in the insight bowl may be a turning point for this program. That kind of motivation cannot be replicated. He should be working his tail off all off season to rectify himself and our program will be better for it. Further development in his understanding of the offense will help even more. Gray is very similar to Terrell Pryor, raw but unquestioned in his talent.

BreakTheGopherCurse said:
AP - Minnesota quarterback MarQueis Gray is expected to see increased playing time at both wide receiver and quarterback in the Insight Bowl against Iowa State. "We're going to try to wear him out pretty good," Brewster said of Gray. "He's going to play a whole bunch."

He had 2-3 catches in the bowl game i believe. His future is bright.
The lack of trick plays was probably due to the coaches trying to simplify things, Fisch wasn't shy about trick plays all year.

Do you not understand the problem here?

Top Bottom