Gray & Alipate

The staff has no plans for either Gray or Alipate next year. The staff won't be here! You can't expect someone to play and work toward a future that they have no part of.

The staff might be here if we hire the wrong guy, which is what we will most likely do.

Another way to look at this is that Horton and co. can help themselves by showing what they can do with the players of tomorrow.

None of it matters as things will continue to play out as they have all year.

Another way to look at this is that Horton and co. can help themselves by showing what they can do with the players of tomorrow.

Another good point. Horten could start Gray, win a game, then say, "look, our imbicile head coach made me work with Weber and my offense wasn't good, but when I got the reins I put in Gray and we started winning." That would look good for him.

That's why fans are fans and coaches are coaches.

If Maturi asked me to start playing the younger players I would have told him to stick his offer of interim HC up his you know what. I want to compete and go for a win with the best players I have. And I expect Coach Horton is the same way. And the players as well. That is what this football thing is all about. Not throwing out the white flag and saying, "well there is always next year." Or a Senior starter say "Go ahead second string, you can play for me. There is no way we will win another game with me playing." That is a bunch of BS.

I have played and coached teams where we had a bad year but we always tried our best to get ready for the next game.

Now if things go south and we are outclassed, then empty the bench and let the second team play. But as long as there is a chance to win, we give it our best shot. That is the way the game is played.

No problem at all with this take.

Maybe I'm stupid for taking Horton's quote literally that neither Gray nor Alipate are going to take any live snaps this year. That would be Brewster redux, with Weber getting ten minutes of garbage time when we're down by 21+. He has to let the younger guys not on redshirts get in the game even if it means sitting Weber down in garbage time.

Organizations plan for the future, guess what it isn't always fair. Welcome to the real world.

I'll try it again for you. Horton is planning for the future. He isn't trying to prepare the gophers for next year. He is trying to show that he can be successful, so he can get another job.

It isn't always fair when coaches do this. Welcome to the real world.

(Hoped that helped)

Or what they can do with the players that give them the best chance to win today.

I don't think your sarcasm came through. Sounded kinda offensive. You should work on that.

Good, no sarcasm intended. I used the roll-eyes icon because I felt it best expressed my irritation. I couldn't disagree more with the premise of your posts...or with your moniker.

Mainly: The idea that Weber is "selfish" for wanting to remain the starter is beyond belief. If you're a starting QB for a D-I football team, wouldn't you want to retain that position to try to get your team as many wins as possible before it was all over?

If anyone on the team has so little competitiveness in their nature that they would simply hand over their starting job, then our program is in even worse shape than I thought.

I really don't care if Horton decides to try Gray or Alipate out at QB. I'll continue to cheer the team on either way. But to say that starters should just say "Oh, sorry, I guess I suck. Someone else should get my spot." is just absurd.

Good, no sarcasm intended. I used the roll-eyes icon because I felt it best expressed my irritation. I couldn't disagree more with the premise of your posts...or with your moniker.

I admit I may have been over the top there on my views, and I can see your points and other's points and can say that starters shouldn't volunteer their spots. I was just frustrated at constantly seeing weber. But what's wrong with my moniker? Wisconsin is usually ranked in the top 25, they win a rose bowl every now and then, they just beat the #1 team in the country, then go to january bowl games, their game atmosphere at camp randall is amazing...need I go on? Who wouldn't want to be like them? They are pretty much the complete opposite of our football program.

No, not at all. Not anymore. If there was a chance for a bowl, then yes, try and win out. But this program needs to look to next year and beyond, and letting weber pile up a few more TDs for his personal records does not help anything. Let Gray work on his timing with Da'Jon McKnight and Eric Lair.

Personally I'd bench every under-performing senior, which is Kyle Theret on D, weber, wills.

You're a moron if you think Wills is an underperformer. He actually has the only draftable grade on the team this season.

That's why fans are fans and coaches are coaches.

If Maturi asked me to start playing the younger players I would have told him to stick his offer of interim HC up his you know what. I want to compete and go for a win with the best players I have. And I expect Coach Horton is the same way. And the players as well. That is what this football thing is all about. Not throwing out the white flag and saying, "well there is always next year." Or a Senior starter say "Go ahead second string, you can play for me. There is no way we will win another game with me playing." That is a bunch of BS.

I have played and coached teams where we had a bad year but we always tried our best to get ready for the next game.

Now if things go south and we are outclassed, then empty the bench and let the second team play. But as long as there is a chance to win, we give it our best shot. That is the way the game is played.

THIS!!!

Top Bottom