Gray & Alipate

This makes no sense given they aren't going to a bowl. What a benefit it would be for the new coach to get some snaps for his QB for next year.

This makes no sense given they aren't going to a bowl. What a benefit it would be for the new coach to get some snaps for his QB for next year.

And if Horton we to be that new coach maybe he'd care. This isn't a huge surprise to me to be honest.

With Alipate's conditioning hell be taking snaps at guard by the end of the year

Well, you are an interm coach...whats the biggest challenge? Keeping the team focused and moving forward.

What is the best way to do this? Maintain the most stability you can by keeping your 4th year starter 3rd year captain QB in the game. Look for team leadership (which happens to come from this guy). Benching Weber now would pretty much assure mass chaos on the team for the rest of the year. You bench seniors now, they start quitting (whether it be quitting on the team or quitting on the field and in practice).

Is this guy smokin rocks?? Why not give Gray some reps to get him prepared for next year?? Adam Webber has already broken every Gophers record while losing, so lets see what Gray can do.

Weber must have pictures of Horton too.

Interim coach Jeff Horton said after practice today that MarQueis Gray and Moses Alipate probably wouldn't get game reps at QB this year.

http://twitter.com/#!/GophersNow

He needs to be fired then. There is only one player left I feel like booing and he's the moron they keep running out at QB. I'd rather see my dead grandfather suit up and not throw a pass.

With Alipate's conditioning hell be taking snaps at guard by the end of the year

Another Battleship Lorenzen in the making?
bfjaredlorenzen.jpg

That seals it then

we won't win another game this year. And I am sick of hearing " Don't boo the kids ". If they are going to keep Grandpa Weber at QB, I will definitely boo his crappy three and out passing.

Wouldn't Alipate burn a year of eligibility if he got "some reps"? Utterly incredible, though, that there is a virtual boycott of Gray at QB, even for a few series, a quarter, a few minutes near the end of the game. Why is this? If he is so terrible, how can he be no. 2? Meanwhile Weber is pitching under .500 in key Big Ten games. I think the team would rally to Gray if he was any good at all - if he isn't, let's see it. I emailed this message to Horton and I hope others do, too.

Well, you are an interm coach...whats the biggest challenge? Keeping the team focused and moving forward.

What is the best way to do this? Maintain the most stability you can by keeping your 4th year starter 3rd year captain QB in the game. Look for team leadership (which happens to come from this guy). Benching Weber now would pretty much assure mass chaos on the team for the rest of the year. You bench seniors now, they start quitting (whether it be quitting on the team or quitting on the field and in practice).

It seems to me when you are down by three touchdowns in the second half it is time to play another quarterback. What is the sense in a garbage time touchdown. For the seniors they had their chance and it is passed them by. If they quit playing, play somebody that hasn't.

The goal should still be winning games.

No, not at all. Not anymore. If there was a chance for a bowl, then yes, try and win out. But this program needs to look to next year and beyond, and letting weber pile up a few more TDs for his personal records does not help anything. Let Gray work on his timing with Da'Jon McKnight and Eric Lair.

Personally I'd bench every under-performing senior, which is Kyle Theret on D, weber, wills.

I am surprised that everyone did not realize this would happen. Horton knows he is looking for work at the end of the season. He already stated , there will be no more recruiting, except to try and hold onto the 15 verbals, and he is here just to keep the team together and maintain the status quo until the new coach is hired. I read somewhere that he is getting a raise until that time. He also said, he wants both grey and weber on the field. If grey is playing qb then weber is on the bench. This is not going to happen.

No, not at all. Not anymore. If there was a chance for a bowl, then yes, try and win out. But this program needs to look to next year and beyond, and letting weber pile up a few more TDs for his personal records does not help anything. Let Gray work on his timing with Da'Jon McKnight and Eric Lair.

Personally I'd bench every under-performing senior, which is Kyle Theret on D, weber, wills.

As to the bolded part, winning out would get us to 6-6 and a bowl.

As to the underlined part, great way to show your appreciation for the seniors who have endured more than their share of a bad situation and handled it all with class.

It is Hortons obligation like any HC to put the team in the best position to win games. Fans expect that too. That means playing your best game-ready players and not experiment and play players just to see what they can do. That is what practice is for. No matter what the record, you must give it your best shot.

So you bench every underperforming Senior? What does that accomplish? Putting a younger underperforming player out there? The players he may experiment with could end up as transfers.

Horton has a chance to win this job (not likely, imo) or become a serious candidate for another job. He is going to go with the best option to do that. I don't even think the Weber Myth Engineers believe that benching seniors at this point is the right choice.

As to the bolded part, winning out would get us to 6-6 and a bowl.

As to the underlined part, great way to show your appreciation for the seniors who have endured more than their share of a bad situation and handled it all with class.

I was aware of us only having 6 losses when I wrote that, but I figured people would concede the games to Ohio State and Iowa.

As for the second part, the seniors got their appreciation in the form of free tuition and room and board for all these years. No one is owed playing time simply for hanging around. They had the opportunity to win more games and make this a competitive season, but their poor play, coupled with bad coaching of course, screwed that up. Time for the punishment - i.e benching. They can run laps in practice while those who will be here next year get to put in the football work. If Weber was a team player he'd voluntarily give up his position to Gray knowing that it'll help the team in the long run. But no, he wants to pad his stats and hog the playing time. Selfish.

I was aware of us only having 6 losses when I wrote that, but I figured people would concede the games to Ohio State and Iowa.

As for the second part, the seniors got their appreciation in the form of free tuition and room and board for all these years. No one is owed playing time simply for hanging around. They had the opportunity to win more games and make this a competitive season, but their poor play, coupled with bad coaching of course, screwed that up. Time for the punishment - i.e benching. They can run laps in practice while those who will be here next year get to put in the football work. If Weber was a team player he'd voluntarily give up his position to Gray knowing that it'll help the team in the long run. But no, he wants to pad his stats and hog the playing time. Selfish.

Your posts in this thread (haven't read your other 7 posts) are as stupid as your moniker. :rolleyes:

It is Hortons obligation like any HC to put the team in the best position to win games. Fans expect that too. That means playing your best game-ready players and not experiment and play players just to see what they can do. That is what practice is for. No matter what the record, you must give it your best shot.

So you bench every underperforming Senior? What does that accomplish? Putting a younger underperforming player out there? The players he may experiment with could end up as transfers.

You are right Bayfield but I think if you asked most fans they'd say they at least want to see the players that are the future get more reps. That to me would include at least getting a good look at both Alipate and Gray at QB. The point of firing the coach is to move on to the future without the spectre of the old coach desperately thinking short term to save his job. Now is the time to look at the long temr betterment of the program. The best way to do that is to see what we have and where we have to improve. I think the fans realize we are going to get pounded in most of the rest of the games and are most interested in player development.

shaking my head.

I would agree to some extent if we had a coach in place and a system that we could prepare a young QB for. The problem is we dont know who the next coach will be, we dont know the system, and we dont have a clue in what will be happening to this team at all next year. It wouldnt be some huge help to his development to throw him out there in a system he will never need to know and get killed behind a below average offensive line and very few pass catchers who can get open.

The real scarry part is maybe other teams would find out Weber is the best QB we have and they would have game tape on our starters for next year. Horton is no longer about developing a program anyway he is about helping himself get hired by another school next year and to do that he needs the players out there that get him the best chance to win.

I would agree to some extent if we had a coach in place and a system that we could prepare a young QB for. The problem is we dont know who the next coach will be, we dont know the system, and we dont have a clue in what will be happening to this team at all next year. It wouldnt be some huge help to his development to throw him out there in a system he will never need to know and get killed behind a below average offensive line and very few pass catchers who can get open.

The real scarry part is maybe other teams would find out Weber is the best QB we have and they would have game tape on our starters for next year.

This is a very good thought. I had written the opposite point of view, but you make me reconsider. Maybe it would be pointless to let Gray be a pocket passer for 5 games if we are going to run the triple option next year.

I guess either way though I would like to see Kirkwood get some more carries.

What?

You wrote if there was a chance at a bowl then yes try to win out. What part of 'try to win out' is conceding 40% of the games?

Horton has a chance to win this job (not likely, imo) or become a serious candidate for another job. He is going to go with the best option to do that. I don't even think the Weber Myth Engineers believe that benching seniors at this point is the right choice.

Organizations plan for the future, guess what it isn't always fair. Welcome to the real world.

Here is my take. The coaches know that Weber has gone through hell since being here. He hasn't publically complained. He hasn't been anything but a classy guy through it all. Model teammate, captain, and person. They will be loyal to him till the end.

I personally would continue to start Adam, but give Gray some time back there as well. Unless the staff has no plans on having Gray a qb next year. If that is the case, we have to give Alipate some reps-we just have to.

Loyal to a fault is the lesson to be learned sadly.

Another take is simply this: The back-ups are so bad that the coaching staff can't play them.

The staff has no plans for either Gray or Alipate next year. The staff won't be here! You can't expect someone to play and work toward a future that they have no part of.

You are right Bayfield but I think if you asked most fans they'd say they at least want to see the players that are the future get more reps. That to me would include at least getting a good look at both Alipate and Gray at QB. The point of firing the coach is to move on to the future without the spectre of the old coach desperately thinking short term to save his job. Now is the time to look at the long temr betterment of the program. The best way to do that is to see what we have and where we have to improve. I think the fans realize we are going to get pounded in most of the rest of the games and are most interested in player development.

That's why fans are fans and coaches are coaches.

If Maturi asked me to start playing the younger players I would have told him to stick his offer of interim HC up his you know what. I want to compete and go for a win with the best players I have. And I expect Coach Horton is the same way. And the players as well. That is what this football thing is all about. Not throwing out the white flag and saying, "well there is always next year." Or a Senior starter say "Go ahead second string, you can play for me. There is no way we will win another game with me playing." That is a bunch of BS.

I have played and coached teams where we had a bad year but we always tried our best to get ready for the next game.

Now if things go south and we are outclassed, then empty the bench and let the second team play. But as long as there is a chance to win, we give it our best shot. That is the way the game is played.

Top Bottom