Graduation Rates....

So, the real question, TexasAggie11, is where does Texas Tech rank in all of this? Haha. :)

165, dead last for all major conference schools other than the thee jokers at the bottom of the Big East.

Texas Aggie I was talking about football Academic All Americans based on this from ESPN

Nine Big Ten players have been named to the Capital One Academic All-America teams. That leads all FBS conferences.

Here are the honorees:

First team

Rex Burkhead, RB, Nebraska
Pete Massaro, DE, Penn State
Adam Replogle, DT, Indiana
John Urschel, OL, Penn State
Patrick Ward, OL, Northwestern

Burkhead, Ward and Massaro earned first-team honors for the second time, becoming three of just five players nationally to achieve that distinction.

Second team

Brian Arnfelt, DL, Northwestern
Max Bullough, LB, Michigan State
Sean Fisher, LB, Nebraska
Mike Sadler, P, Michigan State

To be eligible for the academic All-America honors, a player must be in at least his second year of athletic eligibility, be a starter or key performer, and carry a cumulative 3.30 grade point average.

The Big Ten's five first-team selections were more than any other conference. The league has now led all FBS conferences in academic All-Americans for eight straight seasons, with 64 total honorees over that span.

I have this argument with my father in law all the time ( Auburn fan). That link Aggie posted about top High schools aren't just any old run of the mill high-school. You have to have an extremely important father or be in like the top 1 percent of your class to get in usually. They are like public/ private schools. The AVERAGE public school in MN as compared to the average one here is better. Period. For further evidence, look up best elementary schools in the Montgomery Alabama and surrounding areas. Other then the handpicked magnet schools, you'll see Daniel Pratt school district gets the highest scores in their standardized tests. This district is made up largely of military families/children who work at the Air Force base in Montgomery. Basically, these kids were schooled at some point in their life at another school in another state (wherever their parents were stationed), showed up in the Alabama school system, and proceed to academically blow their peers out of the water. I understand this is just a small corner of SEC Country, but I wouldn't be surprised if its like that elsewhere down here as well. Not bashing the SEC or the south, but as you can imagine I get pretty tired of hearing about the holier than thou SEC. You guys are good at football fine, give us our academics;)

Texas Aggie I was talking about football Academic All Americans based on this from ESPN

Gotcha. My numbers were from all sports, but we are on a football board and talking football. We only have three on the list you referenced, with Jones from Bama being the top honoree.

The AVERAGE public school in MN as compared to the average one here is better.

I don't dispute that at all. I was just making the point that northern students aren't doing quantum physics while southern students are counting their toes. There is a discrepancy in the quality of educational funding, attainment, and quality in favor of the north. However, this discrepancy is not wide enough, as shown by the two links, to mean the SEC is only recruiting student athletes the B1G would put in remedial courses. They may not be as good of scholars, but we're not exactly giving our admissions tests in crayon.

just released today: minnesota gophers had 31 members of our football team named academic all-big ten. second in the conference only to northwesten. nice work by the student athletes, coach kill and staff and the rest of the football support staff. kudos! :D

I don't dispute that at all. I was just making the point that northern students aren't doing quantum physics while southern students are counting their toes. There is a discrepancy in the quality of educational funding, attainment, and quality in favor of the north. However, this discrepancy is not wide enough, as shown by the two links, to mean the SEC is only recruiting student athletes the B1G would put in remedial courses. They may not be as good of scholars, but we're not exactly giving our admissions tests in crayon.

Lol. Agreed. Having lived in both Minnesota and the fairly deep south of Central Alabama I've been able to learn for myself what stereotypes are true, what aren't, and what are exaggerated. This is one I would generally agree with, but can be exaggerated

I think classes are a little more difficult in the B1G ten. Degrees mean something up here. It's like grade 13 down there.... ;)

Don't sweat the small stuff DeltaHog. Like another poster said, this is about being anti Bielema and anti Wisconsin.

just released today: minnesota gophers had 31 members of our football team named academic all-big ten. second in the conference only to northwesten. nice work by the student athletes, coach kill and staff and the rest of the football support staff. kudos! :D

This is a great step in the right direction. Now let's take it further and get all of these young men degrees that can be put to use once they are done with football. The U should not be satisfied till we are on par with the Northwestern's and the Penn State's of the world. We can be just as good as them.

Top Bottom