Gov. Dayton takes aim at early 11 a.m. college football kickoffs

How many different things can Dayton stick his nose in? He continues to surprise me.

This thread obviously has a lot to do with Gopher football, but all political arguing either way will be deleted. Please keep this on the subject matter at hand. Thanks.

I like it. Even a noon start time makes a big difference to our tailgate. 11am kickoffs make for a chaotic morning of unpacking, setting up, cooking, eating, drinking, clean-up, and then making kickoff.

Sorry Mark. ESPN, BTN, and FOX are all more powerful than you.

I would really like to understand why the BTN would so frequently broadcast multiple games in this most hated time slot. Meanwhile, they often don't have a 2:30 or Primetime game. I don't understand how that is "good for TV". Does the league's contract with ESPN give certain "non-compete" rights to the SEC?

I would really like to understand why the BTN would so frequently broadcast multiple games in this most hated time slot. Meanwhile, they often don't have a 2:30 or Primetime game. I don't understand how that is "good for TV". Does the league's contract with ESPN give certain "non-compete" rights to the SEC?

I've wondered the same thing for a while. What's the benefit of multiple 11am games and one 2:30 game instead of one 11am game and multiple 2:30 games?

If his knowledge of the Viking stadium process is any indication, our Governor has no idea how college football and its network affiliates function.

If his knowledge of the Viking stadium process is any indication, our Governor has no idea how college football and its network affiliates function.

So we're back to the Donation/Seat License Fund discussion again then.

Uh, why?

Another case of get off my side...

How about taking on the State Fair controlling when the Gophs play? He no longer surprises me with his where he spends his time...

Agreed he can't actually do anything about it (the legislature will not and should not touch this issue with a 10ft pole). However, his prominent position can indeed be used to begin a conversation. Is it really that unrealistic to make seemingly minor changes to CFB game times?

I suppose we could outlaw 11:00 home games and not be on TV at all when they don't have a 2:30 slot open and limit exposure to fans.

Just lock the thread and re-open it the week before every 11:00 kickoff and close it again about 3:00am Sunday morning. That should get it done. One way or another.

ajax.php

I don't know how they would eliminate 11am games. If you move them back to 12pm, then the other time slots have to back up an hour.

I wouldn't mind the BT adopting a rule where each team could only play 4 or 5 conference games at 11am. Not sure if that is possible, but it would be nice.

Hey Mark. I'm tired of all the re-runs this time of year.:cool02:

I don't know how they would eliminate 11am games. If you move them back to 12pm, then the other time slots have to back up an hour.

Why would this be the case? They sometimes have multiple games at 11am and/or 2:30pm on BTN with the overflow channels. Why can't it just be based on time zone of the home team? If the home team is in the eastern time zone, it starts at 12 EST, and if the home teams is central time zone, the game starts at 12 CST. They can then stagger the games, and have kickoffs at 11, 12, 2:30, 3, 6, 7 (central time). I would suppose with the ESPN contract, there would be occasions where a central time zone team has to play at 11am local time, but at least it would eliminate the majority of the 11am starts.

There should also be 1-2 night games a week, even in November. This would help alleviate some of the early games.

By 2017 every big10 school will be getting a estimated 50 million a year. They can start the games whenever they want. I prefer afternoon games, but this is college football. Some games will start early.

Why would this be the case? They sometimes have multiple games at 11am and/or 2:30pm on BTN with the overflow channels. Why can't it just be based on time zone of the home team? If the home team is in the eastern time zone, it starts at 12 EST, and if the home teams is central time zone, the game starts at 12 CST. They can then stagger the games, and have kickoffs at 11, 12, 2:30, 3, 6, 7 (central time). I would suppose with the ESPN contract, there would be occasions where a central time zone team has to play at 11am local time, but at least it would eliminate the majority of the 11am starts.

There should also be 1-2 night games a week, even in November. This would help alleviate some of the early games.

That may work during the non conference schedule but there are rarely games on the alternate channels once the conference games start.

Why does college football schedule 11am and 2:30pm cst games anyways? NFL is at Noon at 3:30pm. IMHO it is much more fan friendly. Is there an actual reason why they go an hour earlier than the NFL schedule? Or is it just always the way it has been done type of thing.

Good for Dayton. TV revenue greed is forcing the 11 a.m. kickoffs, as it is the preposterously high salaries for coaches ($8m for Harbaugh, apparently). Yet no matter how much money rolls in from TV, the schools always need more as their costs escalate. Don't be surprised is some FBS schools drop out of this arms race over the next decade or two and accept a lower and less expensive alternative.

Top Bottom