Gophers vs West Virginia in Guaranteed Rate Bowl

I know that's the sideline the Gophers are on, but is that the Gopher ticket section?

There’s some info on it on the GopherSports.com site. But the way I read it is that both teams have been allocated seats on each sideline inside the ~30’s as well as an end zone a piece (ours is in the outfield). Between the 30’s is anyone’s guess, as neither WVU or UMN seem to have those seats available.

I looked into it. It's not great. Rental cars are fairly scarce right now. A one-way to Phoenix is between $800 and $1400. Gas would be between $200-300. Plus you'd have the flight back. It'd be better to fly.

The best flight deal I found into PHX itself, rather than driving from Vegas, was $477 each round trip nonstop from Duluth, but that was a M-F stay, so that's another night in a hotel.

I could swing the trip a number of ways, but I think we've decided to pass. If it was Tampa, or Nashville, or even Detroit, we'd probably go, but it's just so expensive to go to Phoenix that week, and it's a minor bowl game against a mediocre opponent in a covered baseball stadium. I think we'll hope for better next year.

I did tell my wife that if they ever make a Rose Bowl or the CFP, I'll be there even if I have to hitch hike, sleep in a dumpster and sell a kidney.
Damn.

Yeah when I saw that travel package with no travel, and then saw the regular airfare, I knew immediately it wasn't going to happen.

They picked Arizona to appease the snowbirds and get the easiest win of the non-Citrus/Outback bowls, is what I'm going with.

No not really WorkingMyAssOff. Let a GSU friend help you out.

1. Fix her a VERY SPECIAL brownie and top it with ice cream. Give it to her at 12 PM. then let her snuggle in beside you on the couch. Make sure the flower is gluten free.

OR

1. Get a good pint of vodka and place it in a freezer overnight.
2. Get a Pint of average liquor, I prefer a tart liquor, and place it in the frig & NOT the freezer.
DIFFERNT CHOICES _-Buy some light flavored soda water that is near the taste of the same flavor as the Liquor. I prefer a more tarte soda as found in the energy drinks, but the caffeine defeats the purpose of the drinks, or you could get a fruity flavor mix to add to the soda.

1 shot ice cold vodka, 1 shot chilled liquor. (ACTULY THE ICECOLD VODAKA AND LIQUOR WILL GO DOWN SMOOTHLY WHIH NO BURN AND levees no VODA AFTER TAST.) add your soda and flavored mix to the vodka in an 8oz glass. (You want to keep the drinks cold and fresh.) add a slice of fruit, on the rim for garnish and a dumb umbrella to shoe your artsy side.

Finish grilling her steak and vegetable's by 11:15am. Serve drinks before meal, with meal and of course after. Between the drinks and a full stomach, she should be Mello.
Talon, you should be writing a syndicated advice column for guys who need some help with the ladies!

Damn.

Yeah when I saw that travel package with no travel, and then saw the regular airfare, I knew immediately it wasn't going to happen.

They picked Arizona to appease the snowbirds and get the easiest win of the non-Citrus/Outback bowls, is what I'm going with.
One word: Snowbirds. Don’t look deeper for mysterious or conspiratorial explanations. Occam’s Razor.

One word: Snowbirds. Don’t look deeper for mysterious or conspiratorial explanations. Occum’s Razor.
Yeah fine .... but quite obviously it is also going to have the benefit of being the easiest game that a Big Ten team will play in bowl season.

Yeah fine .... but quite obviously it is also going to have the benefit of being the easiest game that a Big Ten team will play in bowl season.
Depends in part on opt-outs, injuries, and mental engagement, etc. among opponents.

Depends in part on opt-outs, injuries, and mental engagement, etc. among opponents.
I'm failing to see how any of those would've worked much better into our advantage in the Music City, Las Vegas, or Pinstripe bowls. Outback bowl I could see you having an argument there.

I know that's the sideline the Gophers are on, but is that the Gopher ticket section?
  • Lower Premium (Sections 125-128, FLD7-9, N): $100
  • Club Regular (Sections 206-207): $95
  • Lower Regular (Sections 114-117, C, D, E): $70
  • Upper Premium: $35 (Section 320)
Chase field.jpg
"Pac-12" side is Minnesota side

There’s some info on it on the GopherSports.com site. But the way I read it is that both teams have been allocated seats on each sideline inside the ~30’s as well as an end zone a piece (ours is in the outfield). Between the 30’s is anyone’s guess, as neither WVU or UMN seem to have those seats available.
Man that's how you start a brawl!

• Lower Premium (Sections 125-128, FLD7-9, N): $100
  • Club Regular (Sections 206-207): $95
  • Lower Regular (Sections 114-117, C, D, E): $70
  • Upper Premium: $35 (Section 320)
View attachment 15866
"Pac-12" side is Minnesota side
Found it on GopherSports. Thanks for help from all.

I was here when the Insight Bowl was played here in 2005 between ASU & Rutgers. Without a local team, I'm guessing the atmosphere will be a little more cavernous.

Found it on GopherSports. Thanks for help from all.

I was here when the Insight Bowl was played here in 2005 between ASU & Rutgers. Without a local team, I'm guessing the atmosphere will be a little more cavernous.
The game is a sell-out to the public, so its dependent on the school-allocated tix.

WVU (F1-2-3) and Minnesota (F7-8-0) Premium tix inside 30 are in opposite end zones.

Last edited:

The game is a sell-out to the public, so its dependent on the school-allocated tix.
How is that even possible? Are there that many people who just want to go see a random football game on a Tuesday night? Or are tickets to this somehow tied into tickets for the Fiesta Bowl?

How is that even possible? Are there that many people who just want to go see a random football game on a Tuesday night? Or are tickets to this somehow tied into tickets for the Fiesta Bowl?
Because there are only singles left for the game. I guess that means sellout. Sorry it doesn’t fit your narrative.

Because there are only singles left for the game. I guess that means sellout. Sorry it doesn’t fit your narrative.
What the hell is my narrative? I'm legit curious as to how or why this game would be technically a sell out. So many bowl games you see are played in front of sparse crowds. Why would this random Tuesday night game in a baseball stadium be sold out?

I'm aware of that. That's why I asked. Do you have to buy tickets to this game if you want Fiesta Bowl tickets or something?
I wasn’t responding to you, I was responding to the guy who asked if they were run by the same organization. I don’t know if you “have to” buy tickets to both, but my guess is that they market the tickets to the same groups and either require or provide strong incentives to buy tickets to both. In smaller host communities (e.g. El Paso) it’s a civic pride thing to support the local bowl. Don’t know if the Phoenix populace or business community has that same feeling. They likely also offer tickets to the D-backs season ticket holders since it’s in the baseball stadium.

They likely also offer tickets to the D-backs season ticket holders since it’s in the baseball stadium.
I do think that's the case. When I was looking at going, I looked both on the U site as well as on the bowl game site to see what was available, and I think it did say something along those lines.

I'll be interested to see how many are actually in attendance as opposed to tickets "sold."

so, based on a quick internet search, Chase Field's listed capacity for Baseball is 48,400.

I could not find any info on whether they create extra seating for football games or concerts. They have hosted some concerts where the attendance was in the 47,000 range.

So, let's say for argument that the capacity for football is also in the 48,000 range. If they get companies and civic boosters to commit to buying a certain number of seats, and then the allotments for the participating schools, it would certainly be easier to have a sell-out for this game as opposed to a game being played in a larger stadium. especially if the baseball season-ticket holders are part of the equation.

and, you know what, a full or nearly-full house in a smaller venue looks better on TV than a half or three-fourths full house in a larger venue.

and, you know what, a full or nearly-full house in a smaller venue looks better on TV than a half or three-fourths full house in a larger venue.
Oh, absolutely. That may be why this didn't move back to Sun Devil Stadium. And why I wonder if the Holiday bowl will move to the new SDSU stadium.

I don't know if it's good or bad this bowl is managed by the Fiesta Bowl. What I do know is getting information on it is challenging since it's part of the Fiesta Bowl website. A bit surprised there are ZERO activities planned around this bowl in Phoenix right now. Figured there would be an event or two build around the bowl game.

Here's the game day schedule for the (Cactus) bowl (for 2019):

GAMEDAY TIMELINE
Friday, December 27th
9:00am: Chase Field Ticket Office open for Guaranteed Rate Bowl ticket sales
3:00pm: Parking Lots Open & Will Call Tickets available
4:00pm: Oasis Pregame Party Opens
6:15pm: Stadium Gates Open
7:00pm: Oasis Pregame Party Ends
7:45pm: Opening Ceremonies Begin
8:15pm: Cactus Bowl Kick-Off

You can tell they put a lot of time into managing their information and website.

Oasis pregame??

I Said MAYYYyyyyyyy-beeeeeeeeyyyyyyyy ..... Ya gonnaaaa bee thaaa one that SAVVEEEEeeedddd MAAAAyyyyyyy.......

I could swing the trip a number of ways, but I think we've decided to pass. If it was Tampa, or Nashville, or even Detroit, we'd probably go, but it's just so expensive to go to Phoenix that week, and it's a minor bowl game against a mediocre opponent in a covered baseball stadium. I think we'll hope for better next year.

I do think that's the case. When I was looking at going, I looked both on the U site as well as on the bowl game site to see what was available, and I think it did say something along those lines.
I'll be interested to see how many are actually in attendance as opposed to tickets "sold."

Of course your do. Bullshiite. Totally made up shot over the bow narrative.

You've spent this whole thread trying to demean this game, and by operation the Gophers playing in it, and by operation, only yourself. Your feeble attempts to say that you were trying to go to the game are pathetic.

Stop weeping and support the team.

What the hell is my narrative? I'm legit curious as to how or why this game would be technically a sell out. So many bowl games you see are played in front of sparse crowds. Why would this random Tuesday night game in a baseball stadium be sold out?

I guess I don't know why a local community would then support any bowl game ever. This is all outside of my "being offended" zone.

Here are the remaining seats. It's not sold out, but close. Remaining sections are low to singles.
Yes, there are tix on StubHub and the two schools have not returned tickets yet.

I can't figure out why Gopher fans are so offended by this...support the team or move on if you hate this game so much. I'm planning on having a blast without you, crabcakes.

To answer other reasonable questions: no, you don't have to buy one of these tickets to buy for the Fiesta Bowl. This bowl has been pretty successful on its own for many years, and the tickets are cheap.

I know a snowbird who has 4 tix to this game as a season ticket holder. Gets them every year. Maybe there's a fair sized contingent who do that.

Of course your do. Bullshiite. Totally made up shot over the bow narrative.

You've spent this whole thread trying to demean this game, and by operation the Gophers playing in it, and by operation, only yourself. Your feeble attempts to say that you were trying to go to the game are pathetic.
I guess the fact that I'd been researching airfare for several days straight after the announcement meant nothing. I have the week off so that's not an issue. But airfare right now is just too expensive to justify, and I'm not going to drag a ten year old through multiple plane changes. I could fly nonstop round trip to Puerto Vallerta or somewhere else nicer for literally half of what tickets to Phoenix cost that week.

I guess I don't know why a local community would then support any bowl game ever. This is all outside of my "being offended" zone.
Some don't. They're basically just TV content. This was from the 2019-2020 season (pre-pandemic):

Announced attendance figures sometimes differed widely from actual attendance. For example, the Las Vegas Bowl had an announced attendance of 34,197, but the scanned ticket count provided to the AP by the stadium owner, UNLV, was 16,568. The Birmingham Bowl announced 27,193 while actual attendance was 9,679. The New Mexico Bowl announced a crowd of 18,823; a San Diego Union-Tribune reporter at the game estimated actual attendance at 6,000.

I was legitimately wondering why this game was sold out.

I can't figure out why Gopher fans are so offended by this...support the team or move on if you hate this game so much. I'm planning on having a blast without you, crabcakes.
I'm not offended, but it's simply not a trip that's worth the money for us this year. You live there - it's easy for you to say. Now don't you have an early bird dinner special to go to with the rest of the people in God's waiting room down there?

Top Bottom