Gophers vs West Virginia in Guaranteed Rate Bowl

Other options 930 on a Thursday in Vegas
2pm on a non holiday Thursday in Nashville

You act like the alternatives are good times slots

If one of the other options was on a weekend. Holiday, or 7pm you’d have a better point

Yes, the timing is bad on the Vegas bowl but that is a Thursday night before a holiday weekend. A greater number of people are more likely to be off on Friday than on Wednesday.

I agree with you on the TV viewership for the Music City Bowl; not a great time for that. Attending a 2 PM bowl would be more inviting than attending a 9:15 PM (our time) bowl though.

Might be one of the lower rated TV bowls period. I watch a small number of bowls (or at least parts of them) every season where I don't care at all about the teams playing. As long as the game is expected to be fairly close, I might tune in and, if it's a good one, might watch most or even all of it. Although I have a great deal of work flexibility right now, I don't think I would have that positive attitude about a bowl that ends at 12:30 AM. I'll watch this one, of course, but I would only watch a game like this if I had a strong interest (either positively or negatively) in the teams playing. If I had to travel to work early the next day, I wouldn't watch a game like this for anyone other than the Gophers.

Add in the fact that it's the 5th bowl of the day and that leaves even fewer interested parties.
When college football runs 42 bowls your going to have games at bad times on bad days.

I’m still guaranteed irate. I get why it played out the way it did. But nothing will change if there is no push back on these recurring outcomes. I for one do not want these same outcomes year after year. The team deserved better than the PSU team. Do we tell the team and the future recruits that we will beat other teams and have better results, but we are okay getting passed over as we are second class in the B1G. Not pushing back is saying we accept being treated as second class. Others may be okay with that. I’m not.
As has been pointed out, the system that sent Penn State to the Outback bowl this year was the same system that sent us to the Citrus bowl after 2014 at 8-4.

You and a few others are blowing this way out of proportion. Some years we will benefit from the selection process, others we won't. We don't have to justify where we ended up to recruits and if a recruit is basing their college decision on what bowl game we play in we probably don't want that guy anyway.

And like it our not, until our fanbase proves that they will get behind the team no matter what, we are always going to be viewed as a weaker fanbase than places that fill their stadiums week after week.

I’m still guaranteed irate. I get why it played out the way it did. But nothing will change if there is no push back on these recurring outcomes. I for one do not want these same outcomes year after year. The team deserved better than the PSU team. Do we tell the team and the future recruits that we will beat other teams and have better results, but we are okay getting passed over as we are second class in the B1G. Not pushing back is saying we accept being treated as second class. Others may be okay with that. I’m not.

It just exposes a big problem between the helmet schools and everyone else. In 2019....both Minnesota and PSU went 10-2. Minnesota beat PSU straight up....head to head. Final CFP rankings had Minnesota at #18 and PSU at #10. PSU got the Cotton Bowl while Minnesota got the Outback Bowl. Same bowl that a 7-5 PSU is getting this year.....despite the fact that their record is worse than the Gophers.

I don't expect much better from a national perspective....but this is shitty for the Gophers own conference to pull.

It just exposes a big problem between the helmet schools and everyone else. In 2019....both Minnesota and PSU went 10-2. Minnesota beat PSU straight up....head to head. Final CFP rankings had Minnesota at #18 and PSU at #10. PSU got the Cotton Bowl while Minnesota got the Outback Bowl. Same bowl that a 7-5 PSU is getting this year.....despite the fact that their record is worse than the Gophers.

I don't expect much better from a national perspective....but this is shitty for the Gophers own conference to pull.
That Penn State team 5 teams with 8 or more wins, including Iowa who beat the gophers.
the gophers beat 1 team with 8 or more wins.

Minnesota beat Penn state in a close game at home.
It wasn’t that much of a slight.

Minnesota was 1-2 against the top 6 of the conference.
Penn state was 2-2
Iowa was 1-3 but the win was over the gophers

Iowa had as good or better case to be rated over the gophers as the gophers did to be rated over Penn state

When college football runs 42 bowls your going to have games at bad times on bad days.
It's money bowl time after all. ESPN and other sports networks are greedy money-making machines. They trap sports fans for more money. They figured out how to divvy up sports programming so that it does not matter whether you have cable or streaming services. They figured out how to eke out more money out of your pocket.

I have news for them. Not only did I cut cable this year, but I will also go incognito sometime next year and cut out Sling. I will go to my buddies' houses, or go to a watering hole if covid subsides. I am tired of constantly being jerked around with additional rate increases or certain games or segments being cut or canceled on you.

The sports moguls know how to ruin the sure fun of going to or watching college bowls. Gopher fans don't matter. Let's start them when most fans are in bed on a weeknight.

That Penn State team 5 teams with 8 or more wins, including Iowa who beat the gophers.
the gophers beat 1 team with 8 or more wins.

Minnesota beat Penn state in a close game at home.
It wasn’t that much of a slight.

Minnesota was 1-2 against the top 6 of the conin ference.
Penn state was 2-2
Iowa was 1-3 but the win was over the gophers

Iowa had as good or better case to be rated over the gophers as the gophers did to be rated over Penn state

The Gophers lost to two ranked teams....and were the lowest rated P5 team....by FIVE slots....with 10 wins.

But please tell us how Minnesotas head to head win over PSU shouldn't matter...but then explain how the Hawkeyes had a good case to be ranked over because they beat the Gophers in a close game at Kinnick...even with one less win.

Lol. What a terrible argument.

And my point has little to do with being upset over 2019. I was more than happy with getting a nationally ranked Auburn team in the Outback Bowl. My point is that a less than .500 PSU team with a worse record than MN, Wis, and Purdue were just handed the Outback Bowl. A game that the Gophers needed three more wins to make. My entire point is that between 2019 and 2021....the Gophers with one more win overall and two more B10 wins got the Outback Bowl....and the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. PSU got the Outback Bowl and an NY6 Bowl.

Please explain how any of this is equitable?

The Gophers lost to two ranked teams....and were the lowest rated P5 team....by FIVE slots....with 10 wins.

But please tell us how Minnesotas head to head win over PSU shouldn't matter...but then explain how the Hawkeyes had a good case to be ranked over because they beat the Gophers in a close game at Kinnick...even with one less win.

Lol. What a terrible argument.

And my point has little to do with being upset over 2019. I was more than happy with getting a nationally ranked Auburn team in the Outback Bowl. My point is that a less than .500 PSU team with a worse record than MN, Wis, and Purdue were just handed the Outback Bowl. A game that the Gophers needed three more wins to make. My entire point is that between 2019 and 2021....the Gophers with one more win overall and two more B10 wins got the Outback Bowl....and the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. PSU got the Outback Bowl and an NY6 Bowl.

Please explain how any of this is equitable?
My point wasn’t that Iowa should’ve been rated higher than Minnesota. My point is that beating 5 8 wins teams is an argument to be rated ahead of a team that beat one good team all year even if the one good team they beat was MN.

I actually agree with you that I think Mn should’ve been voted ahead of Penn state.
I think too much emphasis is put on SOS and not enough emphasis is put on the results of games

I genuinely appreciate the attempts to explain the process and keep folks level-headed, but these read as a little pedantic to me. We're not children over here. Most of us understand how bowl placement works. We know WHY bowl committees elevate 7-5 (4-5) PSU to the Outback Bowl over 3 teams that won 8 (6) games. Doesn't mean we need to agree. As a fan I'd like MN to get the biggest stage possible in bowl season. I want them to play a marquee opponent with a good record at a convenient time when the largest possible audience can watch. I'd like the team to have the chance at a national ranking if they win. I'd like them to a have a fair shot to continue building a reputation for traveling to desirable games rather than perpetuating the self-fulfilling prophecy that they don't travel because they're often assigned to low-tier bowl games against mediocre teams. I'm less upset today than I was yesterday, but I'm still irritated.
I’m still guaranteed irate. I get why it played out the way it did. But nothing will change if there is no push back on these recurring outcomes. I for one do not want these same outcomes year after year. The team deserved better than the PSU team. Do we tell the team and the future recruits that we will beat other teams and have better results, but we are okay getting passed over as we are second class in the B1G. Not pushing back is saying we accept being treated as second class. Others may be okay with that.
As has been pointed out, the system that sent Penn State to the Outback bowl this year was the same system that sent us to the Citrus bowl after 2014 at 8-4.

You and a few others are blowing this way out of proportion. Some years we will benefit from the selection process, others we won't. We don't have to justify where we ended up to recruits and if a recruit is basing their college decision on what bowl game we play in we probably don't want that guy anyway.

And like it our not, until our fanbase proves that they will get behind the team no matter what, we are always going to be viewed as a weaker fanbase than places that fill their stadiums week after week.
It’s the victim’s fault for being a victim. The Gophers did not bump anybody down a bowl tier in 2014. WI and NE went to top tier bowls. In retrospect I am amazed that PSU did not get that bid then as well.

My point wasn’t that Iowa should’ve been rated higher than Minnesota. My point is that beating 5 8 wins teams is an argument to be rated ahead of a team that beat one good team all year even if the one good team they beat was MN.

I actually agree with you that I think Mn should’ve been voted ahead of Penn state.
I think too much emphasis is put on SOS and not enough emphasis is put on the results of games

I understand that. And I'm not even upset about how that season shook out. My entire point is that Minnesota is always going to be at a disadvantage as long as public perception allows the the folks in charge to knock them down in favor of an advantaged team. Heads would absolutely roll if the seasons were reversed....and PSU as an 8-4 team with a 6-3 Big Ten record was shifted down to play a 6-6, barely eligible team, so that a 7-5 team with a losing conference record could jump them to play a ranked SEC opponent. It would never happen.

But this is one year. I would like to think that the people who have bowl input from the Big Ten will remember this in coming years when teams with similar records are being placed. Remember who got screwed in 2021.

I understand that. And I'm not even upset about how that season shook out. My entire point is that Minnesota is always going to be at a disadvantage as long as public perception allows the the folks in charge to knock them down in favor of an advantaged team. Heads would absolutely roll if the seasons were reversed....and PSU as an 8-4 team with a 6-3 Big Ten record was shifted down to play a 6-6, barely eligible team, so that a 7-5 team with a losing conference record could jump them to play a ranked SEC opponent. It would never happen.

But this is one year. I would like to think that the people who have bowl input from the Big Ten will remember this in coming years when teams with similar records are being placed. Remember who got screwed in 2021.
The gophers literally were shifted above where they should have been in 2014

Heads would absolutely roll if the seasons were reversed....and PSU as an 8-4 team with a 6-3 Big Ten record was shifted down to play a 6-6, barely eligible team, so that a 7-5 team with a losing conference record could jump them to play a ranked SEC opponent. It would never happen.
It absolutely could happen. If PSU had already played in that bowl within the length of the contract, and the conference was required to send a different team, a lesser team could jump them.

The gophers literally were shifted above where they should have been in 2014

The Gophers moved ahead of ONE team. The Gophers had an 8-4 record while the Cornhuskers had a 9-3 record. Nebraska had been there two of the previous three years.....and still went to the Holiday Bowl where they played and lost to a ranked USC team.

You can cut the crap about this being a similar situation. It is not. An 8-4 Gophers team being shifted down two tiers in favor of a 7-5 PSU team with a losing conference record is not close to the same.

It absolutely could happen. If PSU had already played in that bowl within the length of the contract, and the conference was required to send a different team, a lesser team could jump them.

If that were the case, the Big Ten would absolutely place one of the other 8-4 teams there and give PSU either the Music City or the Vegas Bowl. They aren't moving them down to the bottom of the barrel for a 7-5 team. Wouldn't happen.

The Gophers moved ahead of ONE team. The Gophers had an 8-4 record while the Cornhuskers had a 9-3 record. Nebraska had been there two of the previous three years.....and still went to the Holiday Bowl where they played and lost to a ranked USC team.

You can cut the crap about this being a similar situation. It is not. An 8-4 Gophers team being shifted down two tiers in favor of a 7-5 PSU team with a losing conference record is not close to the same.

You’re right it was a 10-2 (7-1) team being put behind and 8-4 (5-3) team who they beat head to head.

and it was a zero tier move down instead of a one tier move down

You’re right it was a 10-2 (7-1) team being put behind and 8-4 (5-3) team who they beat head to head.

and it was a zero tier move down instead of a one tier move down

The Citrus and the Outback Bowl are the same tier. Wisconsin had been to the Citrus Bowl the year prior. Nebraska....the team that Minnesota jumped went to the Holiday Bowl to play a ranked USC team, which I would say is just a small step behind both those. And that was because prior to Wisconsin....they had been there the prior two years.

As I said....it's not even close to a comparable situation.

Suckaneers?
Bwahahaha!!!
6-6 Suckaneers SUCK!!!

The Citrus and the Outback Bowl are the same tier. Wisconsin had been to the Citrus Bowl the year prior. Nebraska....the team that Minnesota jumped went to the Holiday Bowl to play a ranked USC team, which I would say is just a small step behind both those. And that was because prior to Wisconsin....they had been there the prior two years.

As I said....it's not even close to a comparable situation.
I literally said that about citrus to Outback. Can you read?

If you think the holiday bowl and the Outback are same tier but you think that Phoenix is a tier behind the pinstripe bowl you stayed a little too long postgame at Colorado

It's money bowl time after all. ESPN and other sports networks are greedy money-making machines. They trap sports fans for more money. They figured out how to divvy up sports programming so that it does not matter whether you have cable or streaming services. They figured out how to eke out more money out of your pocket.

I have news for them. Not only did I cut cable this year, but I will also go incognito sometime next year and cut out Sling. I will go to my buddies' houses, or go to a watering hole if covid subsides. I am tired of constantly being jerked around with additional rate increases or certain games or segments being cut or canceled on you.

The sports moguls know how to ruin the sure fun of going to or watching college bowls. Gopher fans don't matter. Let's start them when most fans are in bed on a weeknight.
How do you know if someone is a vegan or a cord-cutter?

Don't worry, they'll tell you.

I literally said that about citrus to Outback. Can you read?

If you think the holiday bowl and the Outback are same tier but you think that Phoenix is a tier behind the pinstripe bowl you stayed a little too long postgame at Colorado

And I never mentioned Iowa or the Outback Bowl. Can you read? I specifically said that the Gophers moved ahead of one team....the Cornhuskers. And I'm guessing that was due to them playing in the Citrus Bowl for two of the previous three years. Again....as I said.....they still played a nationally ranked USC team. Hardly a move down.

Also....I never once said that Phoenix is behind the Pinstripe Bowl. I have stated that Phoenix is preferable once you drop past the Music City and Vegas Bowls.

Have you been drinking?

Some years we will benefit from the selection process, others we won't.

Let's look at "the rule" that supposedly got Purdue the Music City Bowl instead of us: proximity to the location of the bowl.

THAT "RULE" WILL ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS (DID I REPEAT IT ENOUGH TIMES FOR THAT TO REGISTER?) BE USED AGAINST US. No "some year it will help us, some year it won't." It will NEVER be used in our favor.

I've always said that we have two disadvantages when it comes to recruiting: weather and geographical isolation. If a rule systematically discriminates against one or more teams, it shouldn't be used.

And I never mentioned Iowa or the Outback Bowl. Can you read? I specifically said that the Gophers moved ahead of one team....the Cornhuskers. And I'm guessing that was due to them playing in the Citrus Bowl for two of the previous three years. Again....as I said.....they still played a nationally ranked USC team. Hardly a move down.

Also....I never once said that Phoenix is behind the Pinstripe Bowl. I have stated that Phoenix is preferable once you drop past the Music City and Vegas Bowls.

Have you been drinking?
You aren’t even worth talking too.
I am sorry you’re emotionally distraught that the big ten selection proceedings allowed a 7 win big ten team to jump an 8 win team. I am more sorry that it has got some people so unstable

You aren’t even worth talking too.
I am sorry you’re emotionally distraught that the big ten selection proceedings allowed a 7 win big ten team to jump an 8 win team. I am more sorry that it has got some people so unstable

I just don't think settling for mediocrity is something to strive for. But I understand that some posters might have an inferiority complex that makes them believe that they (and by proximity....the Gophers) are less than and deserve less.

So .... does it rain a lot in Phoenix??

They built a roof for the stadium, but no climate control?

Oh .... nevermind, I get it. Duh. It's so they can protect people from the blazing sun and probably do have big time A/C. Just no heat. That makes total sense.

Only golden showers from beer filled, drunken W.V. fans that urinate from the 2nd tear because they are too lazy to walk to the urinals. Don't sit on their side on the first tear!

Last edited:

24. Guaranteed Rate Bowl: Minnesota vs. West Virginia​

Dec. 28, 10:15 p.m. -- OK, so this game probably isn't going to be high-scoring, but it should be close, and sometimes that's good enough. While they go about it in different ways -- Minnesota runs the ball so frequently you might confuse it for an option team -- the result is the same. Both teams average 2.25 points per drive, just above the national average of 2.22.

And you know what the matchup reminds me of? Go back to when this game was called the Cheez-It Bowl (not to be confused with the Cheez-It Bowl), and TCU and California played in a 10-7 thriller that needed overtime to find a winner. It was the worst-played great game of all time and will live on forever in the Bad Bowl Game Hall of Fame. While it's an impossible standard to meet, I think we could see history repeat itself here. Oh, and it's played in a baseball stadium. So much potential for stupid here.

From CBS Sportline's ranking of all 42 bowl games.
Yikes.
Hey, we made the top 25! (In something)

The 28th seems like a college football fan’s dream (and a spouses nightmare).Five bowl games on a Tuesday during a Holiday week? Sign me up

Extremely happy for a Phoenix Bowl. Lots of MN fans here. Easy access. Have three tickets on order. Couldn't be happier. We have 4 season football and volleyball tickets. Winter in AZ so give lots away.

Top Bottom