Gophers vs West Virginia in Guaranteed Rate Bowl

Still working on how to go to the game. Looking at the best possiblity to fly into Vegas and out of Phoenix. A one way road trip with the boy would be fun, but not super excited about doing it both ways.

Guaranteed rate bowl payout $1,625,560
West #2 Gophers (8-4 beat Wisc and Purdue)

Las Vegas Bowl payout $2,900,000
West #3 Badgers (8-4 lost to Minnesota)

Music City Bowl bowl payout $5,700,000
West #4 Purdue (8-4 lost to Minnesota @ home)

Outback Bowl payout $6,400,000
East #4 PSU (7-5 also lost to Illinois)

Explain this shit to me... this is f******* corrupt.
If we have a lot of players opt out, the team should opt out and protest. Send Illinois to Phoenix..

If we have a lot of players opt out, the team should opt out and protest. Send Illinois to Phoenix..
Payout means nothing. All the bowl money is pooled and split equally.

Wait so you want Illinois to “jump” too?

I've read some crazy stuff here, but this could be the worst idea I've ever read.

MNVCGUY explains it well - the money is split. Please Gopher028; do 1 minute of research.

Opting out (in protest) because you think you're bigger/better than the bowl system is a guaranteed way to never get a decent bowl and to disrupt alumni support.

Fortunately the team does not feel the same way as you - if they did, WV could be the next Bowling Green/Illinois. Please keep your temper tantrums off the board. It lowers the overall IQ.

Last edited:

The Quick Lane bowl has a higher payout than the G-Rate, but it's considered a lesser game.

I've read some crazy stuff here, but this could be the worst idea I've ever read.

MNVCGUY explains it well - the money is split. Please Gopher028; do 1 minute of research.

Opting out (in protest) because you think you're bigger/better than the bowl system is a guaranteed way to never get a decent bowl and to disrupt alumni support.

Fortunately the team does not feel the same way as you - if they did, WV could be the next Bowling Green/Illinois. Please keep your temper tantrums of the board. It lowers the overall IQ.
Some people work really hard to find reasons to be offended. Bowl game is a reward for the players yet some are some fans are so butt hurt about where we ended up that they think the team should boycott. Can't make it up.

May be some fan travel package(s) popping up through creative charters today.

Payout means nothing. All the bowl money I'd pooled and split equally.
We all know money is pooled by the B1G. That wasn't the discussion...Payout CERTAINLY means something as to the prestige and importance of bowl games relative to each other.

Bowl payouts do matter as to how much each team can spend and the amenities and gifts, etc. The bigger the payout the larger the entourage a team can bring and spend more money while they are there.

Essentially the profits left over are split amongst the teams but what teams spend at each bowl is not the same

May be some fan travel package(s) popping up through creative charters today.

They were supposed to announce yesterday.

And my god, can these folks please hire a web designer? This mess looks like a geocities site from about 1997. It just needs a dancing Jesus and some flying toasters. I know they're legit, but if you just saw the site, would you trust paying them thousands of dollars?

They were supposed to announce yesterday.

And my god, can these folks please hire a web designer? This mess looks like a geocities site from about 1997. It just needs a dancing Jesus and some flying toasters. I know they're legit, but if you just saw the site, would you trust paying them thousands of dollars?
I thought you were just being picky; but you were most kind with your comments. It's not good and needs to be edited. (is "acention" a word?) OUCH.

I'm sure they have fun, but they really do need to make a wholesale web-page make-over.

I thought you were just being picky; but you were most kind with your comments. It's not good and needs to be edited. (is "acention" a word?) OUCH.

I'm sure they have fun, but they really do need to make a wholesale web-page make-over.
Correct. They initially had "cactus" spelled incorrectly as well. It's a very poor look for a business in this day and age, or really any age.

on bowl games:

I remember when only 1 B1G team got to go to a bowl game. It was the Rose Bowl or nothing. it was that way until 1975.

quick rundown of bowl expansion for the B1G: (modern era)
1946-1974 - 1 team in a Bowl (Rose)
1975-1976 - 2 teams in Bowls
1977-78 - 3 teams in Bowls (MN at Hall of Fame Bowl in '77)
1979 - 4 teams in Bowls
1980 - 3 teams in Bowls
1981 - 4 teams in Bowls
1982 - 5 teams in Bowls
1983 - 4 teams in Bowls
1984-85 - 6 teams in Bowls (MN at Independence Bowl in '85)
1986 - 5 teams in Bowls (MN at Liberty Bowl)
1987 - 4 teams in Bowls
1988 - 5 teams in Bowls
1989 - 4 teams in Bowls
1990 - 6 teams in Bowls

won't go through every year. FWIW, record is 11 teams in a bowl game in 2014.

and - FWIW. Gophers played in Rose Bowl in '60 & '61. From '62 to '98 - a span of 37 seasons, the Gophers appeared in 3 Bowl games. 3 in 37 years. that's what I grew up with.

Bowl payouts do matter as to how much each team can spend and the amenities and gifts, etc. The bigger the payout the larger the entourage a team can bring and spend more money while they are there.

Essentially the profits left over are split amongst the teams but what teams spend at each bowl is not the same
Are you sure that is still the case? I know it once was but with the new selection process I am not sure it still is. Could certainly be wrong though.

But whatever....those that are all pissed about the bowl selection aren't going to change their mind anyway so pointless to try.

I've come around. Upset we didn't get Vegas, but once that happened really Phoenix is a blessing over NYC and Nashville weather wise. Will be interesting how this new round of bowl contracts shakes out. With Phoenix off the board, we'll be looking at Vegas, Nashville, NYC moving forward assuming we have a good not great season.

The 28th seems like a college football fan’s dream (and a spouses nightmare).Five bowl games on a Tuesday during a Holiday week? Sign me up

No not really WorkingMyAssOff. Let a GSU friend help you out.

1. Fix her a VERY SPECIAL brownie and top it with ice cream. Give it to her at 12 PM. then let her snuggle in beside you on the couch. Make sure the flower is gluten free.

OR

1. Get a good pint of vodka and place it in a freezer overnight.
2. Get a Pint of average liquor, I prefer a tart liquor, and place it in the frig & NOT the freezer.
DIFFERNT CHOICES _-Buy some light flavored soda water that is near the taste of the same flavor as the Liquor. I prefer a more tarte soda as found in the energy drinks, but the caffeine defeats the purpose of the drinks, or you could get a fruity flavor mix to add to the soda.

1 shot ice cold vodka, 1 shot chilled liquor. (ACTULY THE ICECOLD VODAKA AND LIQUOR WILL GO DOWN SMOOTHLY WHITH NO BURN AND levees no VODA AFTER TAST.) add your soda and flavored mix to the vodka in an 8oz glass. (You want to keep the drinks cold and fresh.) add a slice of fruit, on the rim for garnish and a dumb umbrella to shoe your artsy side.

Finish grilling her steak and vegetable's by 11:15am. Serve drinks before meal, with meal and of course after. Between the drinks and a full stomach, she should be Mello.

Last edited:

Still working on how to go to the game. Looking at the best possiblity to fly into Vegas and out of Phoenix. A one way road trip with the boy would be fun, but not super excited about doing it both ways.
What's a one-way (including fee for no return) look like on a minivan rental for 2-3 days?

$500 with gas? But that's still probably a lot cheaper than three plane tickets!

We all know money is pooled by the B1G. That wasn't the discussion...Payout CERTAINLY means something as to the prestige and importance of bowl games relative to each other.
Some people work really hard to find reasons to be offended. Bowl game is a reward for the players yet some are some fans are so butt hurt about where we ended up that they think the team should boycott. Can't make it up.
Like this guy.

Not true. Expenses are taken out first.

What's a one-way (including fee for no return) look like on a minivan rental for 2-3 days?

$500 with gas? But that's still probably a lot cheaper than three plane tickets!
I looked into it. It's not great. Rental cars are fairly scarce right now. A one-way to Phoenix is between $800 and $1400. Gas would be between $200-300. Plus you'd have the flight back. It'd be better to fly.

The best flight deal I found into PHX itself, rather than driving from Vegas, was $477 each round trip nonstop from Duluth, but that was a M-F stay, so that's another night in a hotel.

I could swing the trip a number of ways, but I think we've decided to pass. If it was Tampa, or Nashville, or even Detroit, we'd probably go, but it's just so expensive to go to Phoenix that week, and it's a minor bowl game against a mediocre opponent in a covered baseball stadium. I think we'll hope for better next year.

I did tell my wife that if they ever make a Rose Bowl or the CFP, I'll be there even if I have to hitch hike, sleep in a dumpster and sell a kidney.

Should have my travel plans sewn up by later tonight or tomorrow.

Any idea where the Gopher contingent will be for game seating? The baseball stadium is not ideal, but then again, it's a 2nd tier bowl game (if that), so I don't mind the novelty of it....

I do not have as much time on my hands this year in the last week of the year, and the prices to fly are horrible, but I am still keeping my eyes open for a last minute option, with maybe one night in DT PHX.

Back in 2006 I flew in and out of Las Vegas. I spent about 3 hours in Sedona on the way back to LV New Years eve to fly out and that made the return drive better.

I've done the trip fly into Vegas and back from PHX a couple times. Normally would go through Utah and see Zion but may be too snowy this time of year.

Should have my travel plans sewn up by later tonight or tomorrow.

Any idea where the Gopher contingent will be for game seating? The baseball stadium is not ideal, but then again, it's a 2nd tier bowl game (if that), so I don't mind the novelty of it....
Temporary seating on the OF side.

I've done the trip fly into Vegas and back from PHX a couple times. Normally would go through Utah and see Zion but may be too snowy this time of year.
Would be cool, except we were just on vacation in Utah over MEA weekend, so that wouldn't as exciting as it might normally be.

Top Bottom