Gophers vs West Virginia in Guaranteed Rate Bowl

You think Phoenix is worse than outdoors in New York in December? You’re nuts
Watching the game is about 4 hours of a 2 - 4 day bowl trip. Call me nuts if you want, but I love NYC and have never been around the holidays. Way cheaper flights. Would've taken the fam and gone to a couple shows, ice skating at Rockefeller, museums, great restaurants, and the rest of what makes NYC great. The game would've been cold, but we're Minnesotans...we know something about dressing for a game. Nashville and Vegas would've been fun as well. And Tampa was a BLAST two years ago. But hey, it's a moot point. Like lots of people I'll be watching on TV and cheering hard for MN to get win #9.

PJ is going to remain professional. Gotta set an example.

Look....I don't think he needs to burn bridges or be disrespectful to the Mountaineers team/program. But the team deserved a better game....and I'd think Fleck would want to stick up for his team. Nothing wrong with questioning why Penn State got the Outback Bowl and the Gophers were slotted to play a game against a team that barely got bowl eligible.

Has anyone noted we were there just 2 years ago...maybe played into the Outback call at least?

I prices on Delta, Sun Country, and the general travel sites for flights from MSP to PHX are all crap that week. 2-3 times what I paid to fly to Denver in September.
Tampa was far far cheaper for the Outback Bowl. We may have to sit this one out, we went to St Lucia for cheaper than these prices.

I’m sad. I won’t be able to make going to this game work. I’ll be watching from home.

Obviously there is no benefit to disrespecting your opponent......but this HAS to be disappointing for Fleck and the team. There isn't anything wrong with questioning the selection process when your team was effectively dropped in the pecking order by three games....and you play a team with two less wins. If nothing else....maybe it affords you the benefit in subsequent years.
All that should happen behind the scenes. Nothing to be gained by ripping the conference or the bowl in public. Not surprised at all to see Fleck and the U go for the positive spin. Would be foolish to do anything else in front of fans.

All that should happen behind the scenes. Nothing to be gained by ripping the conference or the bowl in public. Not surprised at all to see Fleck and the U go for the positive spin. Would be foolish to do anything else in front of fans.
Yup.

Fit throwing how you look like Nebraska.

As noted, the Gophers are 0-3 in this bowl game when it was known as the "Insight Bowl."

Also known as - the bowl game that got Glen Mason fired.

so, If the Gophers win, look for a press release or Fleck statement on the 'historic' victory - 1st time MN has ever won this bowl game.'

FWIW - a few notes on West Virginia:

Avg. Points scored - WVU 26.8 - Opps 24.3
Rush yds avg - WVU 126.2 - Opps 129.3
Pass yds avg - WVU 256.9 - Opps 220.1
Tot off avg - WVU 383.1 - Opps 349.4

QB Jarrett Doege 254 of 386 65.8% 2,908 yds 19TD, 11 INT

RB Leddie Brown 1,065 yds

WR Winston Wright 60 - 672 yds 5TD

Looks like WVU defense has 33 QB sacks.

I've changed my mind since the announcement. I want scorched earth, brimstone, and fire. I want the chuds who made this decision to be called out by name....and publicly flogged. Curses and hexes to follow their family. Also to follow their friends, neighbors, and acquaintances.

I've changed my mind since the announcement. I want scorched earth, brimstone, and fire. I want the chuds who made this decision to be called out by name....and publicly flogged. Curses and hexes to follow their family. Also to follow their friends, neighbors, and acquaintances.
That's the spirit!

Well, this certainly isn't the Fiesta Bowl committee who manages Guaranteed Rate's fault. They were last to select. They should be ecstatic they get an 8-4 team vs. a 6-6 Maryland or a non-B1G had we not had a qualifier. So, no need to be mad at them.

Can certainly be mad at the B1G conference, Kevin Warren, and the other bowls who were happy to pass us over for other teams. Look at the bright side, now we will have this bowl out of the way for the next cycle since non-repeats are so important (supposedly).

I'm still bitter. And airfare is OUTRAGEOUS. I was super stoked to go, but not sure it's worth the $700+ per person just to get there.

Well, this certainly isn't the Fiesta Bowl committee who manages Guaranteed Rate's fault. They were last to select. They should be ecstatic they get an 8-4 team vs. a 6-6 Maryland or a non-B1G had we not had a qualifier. So, no need to be mad at them.

Can certainly be mad at the B1G conference, Kevin Warren, and the other bowls who were happy to pass us over for other teams. Look at the bright side, now we will have this bowl out of the way for the next cycle since non-repeats are so important (supposedly).

I'm still bitter. And airfare is OUTRAGEOUS. I was super stoked to go, but not sure it's worth the $700+ per person just to get there.
It's now $1100

Im a big fan as any, but lets be real - we lost to BG and Illinois. Those games we need to win. This team should have been 10-2. A bowl would take care of itself.
Everyone keeps saying this. Penn State lost to the same Illinois we did. And Iowa. And Ohio State. Same losses we had. So somehow them doing it is New Year's Day worthy and us doing it is sloppy leftover worthy. Look, I'm fine they're not in the Outback. But they should be in Vegas.

Gopher athletic dept offering a $1000 per person (roughly) travel package .... that doesn't include any travel.

That almost $1000 gets you two nights in a double occupancy room in downtown PHX at a decent hotel, in the game, and a few game perks.

No airfare.

Airfare to PHX from MSP looks pretty stupid, and the airlines know exactly who is looking for this timeframe, zero chance they lower prices. If anything, will jack them up higher.

They could charter a flight, but still probably $3-4 hundred per person?

Driving there not a realistic option either.

Who TF is going to spend this kind of money to go to a shit bowl against a 6-6 team?

It’s always great to get to watch the team play. Fall goes too fast as it is. Don’t know much about WV or the year they had. Did they have a lot of injuries? Did they over achieve/underachieve? Is this a good matchup for the Gophers? We do need a win in AZ! Let’s get to 9-4.

Well don't go then. Your moniker looks boring as well.
I also think it sounds like a boring game. You don’t? I will also follow your advice and not go. Too bad. Already had rooms in Vegas to make the LV Bowl work and would have figured out the Outback Bowl too. Music City, maybe? Phoenix on the 28th vs West Virginia? I’ll still watch…… most likely. This game is the definition of boring.

Driving is a solid 20-21hrs each way of highway time, which doesn't include stops.

Top Bottom