Gophers vs West Virginia in Guaranteed Rate Bowl

Seriously? Why? Also, doesn't the B1G pool all Bowl $ beyond expenses, so does the payout really matter?
The payout doesn’t matter.
I’d rather go to New York than detroit
I’d rather go to a football game at ford field than yankee stadium

I’d rather see us play a 9-4 MAC champ than a 6-6 ACC team

but I’m not sensitive and don’t get offended by non gopher fans saying the word Detroit

Might be tougher their private charters will be flying 15-20 NCAA teams during the bowl seasons… they fly more hours for the NCAA than any other airline. The U of M themselves have multiple planes booked… players, fans, donors the band.. SC private charters
For a mid week game tho? Duno about demand for charters.

And the Quicklane payout is better than the Guaranteed Rate bowl.

But honestly, I would far rather sit in a warm dome in Detroit than outside in the Bronx in late December.

Just going from memory here, but doesn't the Big Ten deduct/cover each team's Bowl expenses and then throw all the other money into the pot and split it out evenly?

I agree with all these statements.

Maybe they do but man I really don't buy into the idea that having a game somewhere really makes a difference in ... what donations? T-shirt sales enough to bother dorking with where you play a bowl game.

We're talking about the U, a place where I emailed asking about giving on give to the max day and they didn't even respond ;) I'm doubting the usefulness of moving bowl games.
Enough people know how to go through the Give to the Max website to give money that they probably don't need to worry about your confusion. (I agree it's a bad look)

I was more talking about getting your team to play in front of Alum bases. It's obvious the school likes taking the team to Arizona.

Don't the Gophers have a lot of alumni in the Phoenix area?

In fact, isn't that how Glen Mason got in trouble at the Insight bowl? I seem to remember hearing that he showed up at a tailgate party and made some comments that really p*ssed off some bigwigs.

I never said Penn state was more deserving.
They’re equally as undeserving

Equally as undeserving is a lame stance. All I know is that if the roles were reversed and Penn State was 8-4 with a 6-3 Big Ten record.....there's absolutely zero chance that the Gophers would bounce them down a full two tiers.

My entire point is that the Gophers are always going to be at an inherent disadvantage if the people with the power allow an unlevel playing field. Neither the Gophers or Penn State went to a bowl last year. But look at these results and tell me what you think:

2019: Both ended with a 10-2 (7-2) record. Gophers with the head to head victory. Gophers got the Outback Bowl and Penn State got the Cotton Bowl.

2021: Gophers ended with an 8-4 (6-3) record while Penn State ended at 7-5 (4-5). PSU gets the Outback Bowl and the Gophers get the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

Just so we wrap this all up.....Gophers with an 18-6 (13-5) record in those two years.....with the only victory between the two teams got an Outback Bowl and the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. PSU with a combined 17-7 (11-7) got a Cotton Bowl and an Outback Bowl. I guess the only difference is that PSU....with a worse record overall.....and the head to head loss.....got a NY6 Bowl rather than the lowest bowl on the B10 totem poll.

Nah....this is good and right.

The site I saw had the Quick Lane at $2 million, and the G. Rate at $1,625 million.

Yes, the B1G shares all postseason revenue equally. I just thought it was interesting. If prestige is based on payouts, then the Rate would be the lowest of all the B1G bowls and we should actually be playing in Detroit instead against WMU. (which would make for a more interesting story really)

Quick Lane probably has to pony up a bit more to get people to Detroit. Fact is....I'd rather play a middling Big 12 team than a middling MAC team. Especially since Fleck's Gophers lay eggs against MAC teams.

Enough people know how to go through the Give to the Max website to give money that they probably don't need to worry about your confusion. (I agree it's a bad look)

I was more talking about getting your team to play in front of Alum bases. It's obvious the school likes taking the team to Arizona.
I duno man ... better bowl = more fans.

I think it is after the fact "well I kinda was going to wash these pans that are now splattered in mud anyway" justification to say Phoenix is something they want.

Truth is they were gong to return those pants, but someone is gonna spin it.

Equally as undeserving is a lame stance. All I know is that if the roles were reversed and Penn State was 8-4 with a 6-3 Big Ten record.....there's absolutely zero chance that the Gophers would bounce them down a full two tiers.

My entire point is that the Gophers are always going to be at an inherent disadvantage if the people with the power allow an unlevel playing field. Neither the Gophers or Penn State went to a bowl last year. But look at these results and tell me what you think:

2019: Both ended with a 10-2 (7-2) record. Gophers with the head to head victory. Gophers got the Outback Bowl and Penn State got the Cotton Bowl.

2021: Gophers ended with an 8-4 (6-3) record while Penn State ended at 7-5 (4-5). PSU gets the Outback Bowl and the Gophers get the Guaranteed Rate Bowl.

Just so we wrap this all up.....Gophers with an 18-6 (13-5) record in those two years.....with the only victory between the two teams got an Outback Bowl and the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. PSU with a combined 17-7 (11-7) got a Cotton Bowl and an Outback Bowl. I guess the only difference is that PSU....with a worse record overall.....and the head to head loss.....got a NY6 Bowl rather than the lowest bowl on the B10 totem poll.

Nah....this is good and right.
2019 was picked by an entirely different body of people

2019 the college football playoff committee made the choice.

2021 was the Outback bowl and the conference

If you want a sport with a level playing field, college football isn’t for you

In fact, isn't that how Glen Mason got in trouble at the Insight bowl? I seem to remember hearing that he showed up at a tailgate party and made some comments that really p*ssed off some bigwigs.
Do we have "big wigs"?

but I’m not sensitive and don’t get offended by non gopher fans saying the word Detroit

Are you high!? Western Michigan is the Quick Lane Bowl rep for the MAC. They finished 7-5 and didn't even sniff the MAC Championship.

2019 was picked by an entirely different body of people

2019 the college football playoff committee made the choice.

2021 was the Outback bowl and the conference

If you want a sport with a level playing field, college football isn’t for you

Not sure you understand the point....or care to. But then again....you think playing in the Quick Lane Bowl pits a team against a 9-3 MAC Champion.....so your responses are awfully consistent.

I'd guess that is why the Gophers are in Phoenix rather than New York. Not to mention that I think WVU is a better test than VT.

Not sure you understand the point....or care to. But then again....you think playing in the Quick Lane Bowl pits a team against a 9-3 MAC Champion.....so your responses are awfully consistent.
First of all. Northern Illinois is 9-4
Second of all. They changed the bowl tie in on me. Dang

I hope you can survive these tough times of a 7-5 Penn state team going to a game in front of an 8-4 Minnesota team. It seems to be really impacting you.

Are you high!? Western Michigan is the Quick Lane Bowl rep for the MAC. They finished 7-5 and didn't even sniff the MAC Championship.
Would rather see us play an 8-4 Nevada team than West Virginia or Virginia tech.
Probably not western Michigan.

Although probably not now that Nevada is losing their coach

First of all. Northern Illinois is 9-4
Second of all. They changed the bowl tie in on me. Dang

I hope you can survive these tough times of a 7-5 Penn state team going to a game in front of an 8-4 Minnesota team. It seems to be really impacting you.

When did I say that the MAC Champion didn't have that record. lol. I said that the Quick Lane Bowl isn't against a MAC Champ. It's against a middling MAC team.

I'll survive. I just want bowl games to be placed on merit.....not status. Clearly you've got bigger fish to fry. Like....why isn't the Quick Lane Bowl featuring the MAC Champion?

When did I say that the MAC Champion didn't have that record. lol. I said that the Quick Lane Bowl isn't against a MAC Champ. It's against a middling MAC team.

I'll survive. I just want bowl games to be placed on merit.....not status. Clearly you've got bigger fish to fry. Like....why isn't the Quick Lane Bowl featuring the MAC Champion?
Yeah I’m saying that I completely messed up who is in the quick lane bowl. They changed it from Mac champ to ACC #10 like 7 years ago. And when ACC or big ten can’t fill gaps mac or another conference become filler

if you want bowl games based on merit not status then again, college football isn’t for you.

You can’t say you want them based on merit then at the same time that Minnesota deserves the Outback bowl. The Outback bowl is a top 10-12 bowl game. There are teams outside the big ten with more merit than Minnesota and Penn State this year.

Would rather see us play an 8-4 Nevada team than West Virginia or Virginia tech.
Probably not western Michigan.

Although probably not now that Nevada is losing their coach

Nevada would be an interesting matchup. But the Quick Lane Bowl is between the Big Ten and the MAC. Nevada is only there because the Big Ten didn't have enough eligible teams to fill the slot. So if the Gophers would have been playing in the QLB....it would have been against WMU.

this article on "The Daily Gopher" is the best summary I have seen on the factors that go into bowl placement. (warning - length)

The bowls don’t pick their Big Ten teams in a free for all anymore. The Big Ten has built a tiered system that helps keep things a little more mixed up. It’s been this way since the College Football Playoff started in 2014.

The system the Big Ten implemented prioritizes variety in bowl destinations, generally requiring the non-New Years Six bowls affiliated with the conference to feature 5 different Big Ten teams over a 6 year window.* They also work to make sure that non-conference rematches don’t occur in bowl games. And yes, in general, they make sure teams don’t get hopped by schools with inferior seasons. For the purposes of the Big Ten’s criteria, that’s generally meant you don’t get hopped by a team with 2 fewer wins than you. However, head to head wins don’t mean anything.

This process has benefited the Gophers in the past. Under the old bowl pecking order, there’s no way (let me say again, NO WAY) the Gophers play Missouri in the Citrus Bowl as an 8-4 team in 2014 without this process. It kept them from getting hopped by Iowa for the Outback back in 2019. It will benefit the Gophers in the future.

Unfortunately, this is a season where it hurt Minnesota. In the Big Ten this year, the basic breakdown of the bowl eligible teams was as follows:

The “two more wins” rule meant that no one in the middle tier was going to hop OSU, Iowa, or MSU. Though to be fair, no bowl in their right mind would have selected any of the middle tier over those teams this season anyway. However, that guideline DID NOT protect Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Purdue from Penn State.
The Outback Bowl. You might be wondering, why would the Outback Bowl want Penn State anyway? Well, perhaps it’s the fact that Penn State has not been to the Outback Bowl since 2011. Yep. A full decade. Sorry, but bowl’s gonna bowl with that sort of thing. This is where I hear people talk about PSU not “deserving it” over Minnesota and.......well, sorry. I’m not buying that. Why? Because none of the teams with more B1G wins than Penn State in the middle tier deserve the Outback. 8-4 unranked teams don’t have a lot to hang their hats on. Certainly not enough to complain about being jumped by a blue blood who hasn’t been there in a decade.

The Music City Bowl. I can hear the complaints now. “But Purdue was just there in 2018! And Minnesota beat Purdue at Purdue. It’s not fair!” Please stop. You’re embarrassing yourself. The Music City bowl does not care that Minnesota beat Purdue at the beginning of October. They are about butts in the seats. Purdue gave the Music City Bowl it’s 3rd best attended game of the past decade in 2018 due to their proximity to the site. The only two games to draw more fans were Notre Dame/LSU in 2014 (barely more fans) and Nebraska/Tennessee in 2016. It should shock NO ONE that the Music City Bowl picked the driveable Big Ten option to face off against in state SEC opponent Tennessee. Minnesota has proven that Gophers fans will travel. But if you’re the Music City Bowl you’re taking Purdue fans who live within driving distance and haven’t had a bowl to go to in 3 years over the Gophers every time. Will it pay off? I don’t know, but the blazers are predictable.

The Las Vegas Bowl. This one is simple. Wisconsin has never been there. They travel well. I can hear y’all punching up your “but Minnesota sold X tickets to the Outback Bowl in 2019” numbers but I’m sorry, whatever good work Minnesota has done is in recent years. Wisconsin fans have a longer history and haven’t been to this bowl site. And reminder. HEAD TO HEAD DOES NOT MATTER TO A BOWL. The blazers are predictable, so while it sucks, it happens.

The Pinstripe Bowl. This is the ultimately expression of the bad luck Minnesota has this season. West Virginia was the Big 12 representative to the Guaranteed Rate Bowl. WVU played Maryland in the non-conference. That means that even though Minnesota should be protected from Maryland hopping them this season, the Big Ten was going to make sure that the Yankee Bowl got Maryland instead of Minnesota. The system that helped the Gophers in 2014 and 2019 screwed them in 2021.

• The bowl selection process isn’t about fairness above all else. If you think it should be, then please prepare to be #madonline forever. Also please do it away from me because you sound silly not being able to acknowledge reality.
  • The system the Big Ten has put in place makes things more fair, especially for schools like Minnesota whose history of “traveling for games” is more recent.
  • The system still gives flexibility that can mean you get skipped, because this is still about money, TV matchups, and avoiding bad pairings.
Can we pin this to the top of this thread?!

Nevada would be an interesting matchup. But the Quick Lane Bowl is between the Big Ten and the MAC. Nevada is only there because the Big Ten didn't have enough eligible teams to fill the slot. So if the Gophers would have been playing in the QLB....it would have been against WMU.
Yeah I already said my bowl tie in brain was about 7 years delayed on that one .

If you want bowls based on merit you should have a problem with any big ten team in the Outback when better teams are in worse bowls.
you should have trouble with Michigan state in peach and Utah in rose.

Yeah I’m saying that I completely messed up who is in the quick lane bowl. They changed it from Mac champ to ACC #10 like 7 years ago. And when ACC or big ten can’t fill gaps mac or another conference become filler

if you want bowl games based on merit not status then again, college football isn’t for you.

You can’t say you want them based on merit then at the same time that Minnesota deserves the Outback bowl. The Outback bowl is a top 10-12 bowl game. There are teams outside the big ten with more merit than Minnesota and Penn State this year.

Pretty sure that a MAC Champion team never played in the Quick Lane Bowl.

Saying that I want bowl games based on merit rather than status isn't going to deter me from college football. Clearly....I think things can and should improve. You are fine with the status quo. It's a sad, defeated outlook on life in general. Maybe zoloft would help.

Pretty sure that a MAC Champion team never played in the Quick Lane Bowl.

Saying that I want bowl games based on merit rather than status isn't going to deter me from college football. Clearly....I think things can and should improve. You are fine with the status quo. It's a sad, defeated outlook on life in general. Maybe zoloft would help.
It did pre quicklane

back in its little ceasars days 2013ish

do you think conferences should have bowl tie ins? Or should it all be based on merit?

Yeah I already said my bowl tie in brain was about 7 years delayed on that one .

If you want bowls based on merit you should have a problem with any big ten team in the Outback when better teams are in worse bowls.
you should have trouble with Michigan state in peach and Utah in rose.

What better teams are in worse bowls? Wisconsin, Purdue, and Minnesota? Yeah.....you've got a point there.

So, the video shows Chase Field getting converted to a football field. I'm not familiar with it. I assume the roof would be closed since it's a night game in late December. Daytime with it open would have been nice. It sounds like the field was converted from grass to turf recently (boo) which probably allows it to be more easily converted to football. It looks like a nice ballpark from this.

What better teams are in worse bowls? Wisconsin, Purdue, and Minnesota? Yeah.....you've got a point there.
San Diego state
Utah state
Houston
UTSA
BYU
App state
Louisiana
Coastal Carolina

are all teams that have done more on the field in worse bowl games based on tradition and stuff not from this year

Quick Lane probably has to pony up a bit more to get people to Detroit. Fact is....I'd rather play a middling Big 12 team than a middling MAC team. Especially since Fleck's Gophers lay eggs against MAC teams.
We've laid one egg against a MAC team. Personally I view it as more of a fluke than a trend.

San Diego state
Utah state
Houston
UTSA
BYU
App state
Louisiana
Coastal Carolina

are all teams that have done more on the field in worse bowl games based on tradition and stuff not from this year

So a lot of G5 teams. That's something for their conferences to take up. Our conference, the Big Ten, helped facilitate rewarding a Penn State team with a losing conference record a New Years Day bowl. Wisconsin and Purdue still got decent bowls. Minnesota got jobbed. No other way to put it....assuming that record matters. (Hint....it should)

Top Bottom