Gophers vs. TCU just got a bit easier in 2015...

dinkything

Reaction score
TCU safety Chris Hackett will forego his senior season and, like Maxx Williams, will enter the 2015 NFL draft...

"...TCU runs a 4-2-5 defensive set, and Hackett's departure would means the Horned Frogs -- who are set to return 10 offensive starters -- will need to replace five of their back seven and six defensive starters total..."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...chris-hackett-intends-to-enter-2015-nfl-draft

The one question here is can we get a consistent Citrus Bowl type performances from Leidner next year. If the Leidner from last year's game in Ft Worth is still there, the defensive losses might not matter too much.

The one question here is can we get a consistent Citrus Bowl type performances from Leidner next year. If the Leidner from last year's game in Ft Worth is still there, the defensive losses might not matter too much.

Aside from the fumbles (which I think are correctable), we would be in great shape for next year if Leidner can pass like that on a consistent basis.

TCU loses 16 interceptions between 4 players for next year. Hackett had 7 of them.

TCU loses 15 interceptions between 3 players for next year. Hackett had 7 of them.

The problem we are going to have with TCU next year is on the offensive side of the ball. Watching them late in the year it was a totally different team then the one we played in week 2 that was still trying to figure things out. We are not a team that is built for a track meet and I don't expect that to change next year so for us to have any shot in that one it is going to take an amazing defensive effort and probably a few lucky breaks.

All that said if we do lose our opening game to a top 5 (maybe even top 1 or 2 team) it is not a season killer. Just need to make sure we win the other 3 non conference games.

I'm still worried about Boykin. If he keeps progressing at this rate, he should win the Heisman

TCU lost their star DE before the Gopher game in 2014 and they still shut us down. The TCU game in 2015 will be a great barometer on how far the Gophers have improved.

And also lose over 30 TFLs between three players and 236 tackles between two players. Also lose 26 passes broken up between 3 players.

I would bet there are a lot of stats we are losing as well, happens every year with every team. Look at the receiving numbers we have returning at WR and TE and try not to cringe.

I would be willing to bet that being situated in a recruiting hotbed like Texas, TCU has some pretty good athletes ready to step in for the guys they are losing.

I would bet there are a lot of stats we are losing as well, happens every year with every team. Look at the receiving numbers we have returning at WR and TE and try not to cringe.

I would be willing to bet that being situated in a recruiting hotbed like Texas, TCU has some pretty good athletes ready to step in for the guys they are losing.

Day in, day out, nobody tries harder than you. Keep doing the Lords work

I'm still worried about Boykin. If he keeps progressing at this rate, he should win the Heisman

I have my fingers crossed that he played above his talent level last year, and has a down year next year.

Or at least a down first game.

I'm not optimistic though.

Our offense may struggle early on next year. Just think about all of the inexperienced skill position players that will be playing in their first collegiate game against TCU. Jones, Smith, Gentry, Holland, Gibson, Gant, etc. Some of those guys are likely to have a major role on the team next year and that's a tough way to start your career, I don't care how many players aren't returning for TCU. They always have a solid defense.

I think our offense could be very good by the end of next year. Early on against TCU? It could be rough. Not to mention their high-powered offense. Regardless I will still be as optimistic as ever and hopeful for an early season upset. Maybe the veterans of the offense (Leidner, Williams, Edwards, Woli, Maye, O-Line) get it done.

Boykin makes a lot of mistakes. If you can drive the ball on TCU they are beatable (see Kansas game)
If you can't gain any yards they aren't (see Ole miss). But even in the ole miss game he threw 3 interceptions and another 4-5 passes that could have been interceptions including one where the receiver wrestled it away for a touchdown.

Aside from the fumbles (which I think are correctable), we would be in great shape for next year if Leidner can pass like that on a consistent basis.

He has not corrected them so far. Every time he gets sacked or takes off running I hold my breath.

Day in, day out, nobody tries harder than you. Keep doing the Lords work

What exactly was wrong with what I said? Even the most diehard of diehards shouldn't expect us to win that game against TCU next year. Hopefully we give them a good fight and who knows if things break right maybe even find a way to get the W but we are going to be a sizeable underdog and it will not be shocking if we get beat fairly handily by them. And that is not meant as a shot at the Gophers it is a nod to how good TCU is right now and should be again next year.

If your issue was with the comment about receiving #'s.....we have just over 500 yards and 1 TD worth of production returning and most of that is KJ Maye. I would say that qualifies that part of the offense as being a massive question mark heading into next season regardless of how much talent we hope was redshirted this past season.

What exactly was wrong with what I said? Even the most diehard of diehards shouldn't expect us to win that game against TCU next year. Hopefully we give them a good fight and who knows if things break right maybe even find a way to get the W but we are going to be a sizeable underdog and it will not be shocking if we get beat fairly handily by them. And that is not meant as a shot at the Gophers it is a nod to how good TCU is right now and should be again next year.

If your issue was with the comment about receiving #'s.....we have just over 500 yards and 1 TD worth of production returning and most of that is KJ Maye. I would say that qualifies that part of the offense as being a massive question mark heading into next season regardless of how much talent we hope was redshirted this past season.

I would bet Kill feels better about replacing the guys we lose on O and improving on that side of the ball than Patterson does about replacing his guys on D and making improvement on the other side of the ball.

Anything short of saying 'TCU sucks, Jerry can do no wrong, put this one in the win column' is going to get you ostracized. Gotta love GH ;-)

Gophers will open as 13-point underdogs and +450 on the ML in Vegas. As long as Boykin is on the roster, this is going to be a tough game.

Difference is TCU just finished 5 nationally and top finish by a Texas team. They will replace those guys with recruits capable of contributing right away if they don't already have talent stacked to fill those gaps on their current roster.

Difference is TCU just finished 5 nationally and top finish by a Texas team. They will replace those guys with recruits capable of contributing right away if they don't already have talent stacked to fill those gaps on their current roster.

You may wanna take a look at their recruits then. #31 nationally. chalk full of 3 stars and 2 4 stars. Average player rating, 84.9. Minnesota's average player rating is 82.9. I would guess the dividend's of this season's success for them will be seen next year when they have better bragging rights than Texas and A&M for recruits.

I would guess the hope is the new guys won't be on point in game #1 of the season.

I thought this thread was going to be about Boykin turning pro. Their safety is leaving? Yawn. I'll bet they have good players in the wings just like we do.

Boykin's going to be a preseason All American and Heisman candidate. Beating TCU starts and ends with stopping or slowing down Boykin.

I thought this thread was going to be about Boykin turning pro. Their safety is leaving? Yawn. I'll bet they have good players in the wings just like we do.

Boykin's going to be a preseason All American and Heisman candidate. Beating TCU starts and ends with stopping or slowing down Boykin.

That safety had 7 picks last year. Kind of a big deal if you ask me.

I personally dont want TCU to be worse next yr. I want the Gophers to elevuate there game to the level where TCU is currently at. Im Old School and like the Ric Flair montra "You got to beat the man.to be the man". Lets use this as off season motivation and come out and get after these guys.

Lets hope our O Line gives Leidner enough time to actually throw the ball next year or who cares about their safety leaving? I would like to see our new play makers all have break out games the first of the season but it will all depend on the big guys up front actually blocking a single TCU player unlike last season when Leidner was getting hit before completing his play fakes.

Coach Kill has been spot on with his comments since day 1 in Maroon and Gold. He currently states that Leidner is a young QB who is right where Harnish was in his development. He also says we would have start 3 or 4 of our red shirts in the bowl game. If I recall correctly, before Duke went down Kill expected him to share game time with Maxx. We continue to improve at a strong pace. We won't have an Illinois screw up this year and we take down another of the "big boys." I hope our D improves again and I expect a giant leap from the O.

Top Bottom