Gophers up as 9.5 point underdogs at Indiana

Hmmm...I'm a little surprised the spread is that large, but it should be a good game. If Indiana wins I wouldn't be at all surprised if they cover.

For the team a number should be a petty thing, and their focus should be on executing the best it can be done, every time, no matter how hard or inconvenient it is. This is the time of the year to be precise. Focus on teamwork, encouragement, reminders, and do your job the best it can be done. The opponent, the ball, the field, the fans, the point spread, the band, the sun, the referees, the wind, rain, snow. et al are merely inconveniences.

If they want to make us dogs, let them. We'll see how they like it when we bite them in the a$$!

Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers!

The two teams seem evenly matched with Indiana having a home field edge plus the rest from a bye week. We could be down, emotionally, after a big upset win. They have one of the best offenses and we one of the worst (stats-wise). We have one of the better defenses, they are absolutely the worst defense in the B1G. We can run, they can't stop the run. They pass very well and we are adequate at pass defense. Could be a matter of spirit, enthusiasm, early momentum. They are explosive, but the game is winnable for us. On the other hand, they'll be out to make up for the big Michigan loss. Should be high-scoring and close.

The two teams seem evenly matched with Indiana having a home field edge plus the rest from a bye week. We could be down, emotionally, after a big upset win. They have one of the best offenses and we one of the worst (stats-wise). We have one of the better defenses, they are absolutely the worst defense in the B1G. We can run, they can't stop the run. They pass very well and we are adequate at pass defense. Could be a matter of spirit, enthusiasm, early momentum. They are explosive, but the game is winnable for us. On the other hand, they'll be out to make up for the big Michigan loss. Should be high-scoring and close.

Great Plains Gopher,

This will be an interesting test for Jerry Kill's staff. They somehow have to allow the Golden Gophers to enjoy their hard won victory against Nebraska and immediately shift focus to IU. History suggests that we fill our pants 7 days after a big victory / upset. How Jerry Kill's staff and the football team handle IU will be very interesting. Here is hoping they keep us focused, improving, and moving forward. Preparing our Golden Gophers for a victory against Nebraska was a tactics and strategy exercise for the coaches which they passed admirably. Preparing our Golden Gophers for a victory against IU I think will be more of a psychological and motivational exercise for the coaches. I hope they likewise grade out admirably at the end of regulation on 2 November 2013.

The only teams that put a worry in me, are teams that can play good defense. This isn't one of them. And their offense ain't Texas Tech fast.

At least the odds makers are giving us more respect each week - NW 12.5 underdogs, Nebraska 10, Indiana 9.5.

I just looked at the Indiana board on Rivals, and I'd say the majority of their fans are chalking up next week's game as an easy win. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised. Sure, some of us are overreacting after yesterday, but we've played two solid games in a row and have shown improvement in each game.

Oh, and someone commented on there that Minnesota was much further along when Kill came on board than when Wilson took over at Indiana...not sure I agree with that one.

I just looked at the Indiana board on Rivals, and I'd say the majority of their fans are chalking up next week's game as an easy win. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't surprised. Sure, some of us are overreacting after yesterday, but we've played two solid games in a row and have shown improvement in each game.

Oh, and someone commented on there that Minnesota was much further along when Kill came on board than when Wilson took over at Indiana...not sure I agree with that one.

Seriously, Indiana fans chalking up an easy win? Funny stuff. I realize they own us in Bloomington, but there is no such thing as an easy win when you have that defense.

Hmmmmm, I must be a homer because I was thinking it'd be around 3-5 points. We'll see what it is by the end of the week, but it'd be amazing to win 3 straight games where we're underdogs by at least 9.5 all 3 games.

Sagarin has the game as IU -6. Getting close to another blue light special game for the Gophers. Sagarin had the Gophers and Nebraska as a 4 point spread and the line was actually 10.

9.5 seems awfully high. Should be a good game.

I'm also surprised the spread is that big. Not so much surprised they have the Hoosiers, but with that much of a spread? They think very highly of Indy's offense, eh?

9.5 is way too much. 3-6 is where it will end up.

I suspect there must be some trend of folks liking to bet on Indiana. As has been explained on here before - a line isn't set on what a lines-maker feels is most likely to happen, but rather on what they feel will generate 1/2 the money bet on each side. There are certain teams that always catch more money regardless of the line (think any LA team). I wouldn't have pegged IU as one of those teams but people do like offense?

it will be 3.5 by game time.
Actually it started at 7 and has been creeping up since.

I don't get it. Indiana is better than their record, and I'd be fine with a spread of 4-6 points given that they are at home, but 9.5 seems kinda crazy.

Oh I absolutely do. That's not to say that Kill didn't inherit a mess, but Indiana was TERRIBLE the first year Wilson got them and had almost no talent in their pipeline at all. Kill had guys like Marquis, Ra'Shede, D.L. Wilhite, Michael Carter, Troy Stoudermire, Kim Royston, Brock Vereen, Gary Tinsley, Keenon Cooper, Da'Jon McKnight, Eric Lair, Duanne Bennett, Donnell Kirkwood. They were bad, but they weren't barren.

That's to take nothing away from what Kill has accomplished so far this year, but I've been very impressed by the changes that Wilson has made at Indiana. If they can find an even half-decent defensive coordinator they could be formidable. They've been recruiting very well with guys like Sudfeld/Coffman, Tevin Coleman, Darius Latham, and David Kenney.

Seriously, Indiana fans chalking up an easy win? Funny stuff. I realize they own us in Bloomington, but there is no such thing as an easy win when you have that defense.

No kidding. Indiana may not win another Big Ten game (although they should beat Purdue). If we beat them, they likely are not going bowling either. If we lose, it could be ugly since they can score so much and so fast. But my guess is we'll have somewhere in the upper 30's if not 40 minutes of possession in the game. We just will need to make sure we get tuchdowns on our drives. Indiana is also very prone to turnovers. I think the game will be lower scoring than most think due to the plodding of our offense. I like our chances, but won't be at all surprised either way.

We are ranked #4 in red zone offense. We are, in fact, a better scoring offense when it counts than Indiana. What we suck at is 3rd downs. We are one of the worst. Our first two downs provide us the best edge. When we are too far short, we suck. That said, the stats cover the season. I like our stats better from the last 2 weeks. We have made big strides the last two weeks and if that carries over into Indiana, Indiana is going to get creamed by the Gophers. Indiana has one of the worst defenses and we have a top 35 defense. Right now, I think Indiana has to be shaking in their boots that we are coming at them.

Beating them Saturday will seriously hurt their chances of going bowling.
This will mean they don't get 15 extra practices, keeps things negative, and hurts recruiting. That will help keep them in the lower division .

I took a look, and what struck me was the respect they showed for #99.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie View Post

Oh, and someone commented on there that Minnesota was much further along when Kill came on board than when Wilson took over at Indiana...not sure I agree with that one

I took a look, and what struck me was the respect they showed for #99.

Yeah, me too. Took a look earlier at a couple of threads and Okie was right, there were posters who thought it was a "walkover". Who can blame them with the way they beaten the Gophers in Indiana for the last 18 years or so? But there were also a fair number of posters who thought the Gophers were going beat them or give them a very hard time.

Oh I absolutely do. That's not to say that Kill didn't inherit a mess, but Indiana was TERRIBLE the first year Wilson got them and had almost no talent in their pipeline at all. Kill had guys like Marquis, Ra'Shede, D.L. Wilhite, Michael Carter, Troy Stoudermire, Kim Royston, Brock Vereen, Gary Tinsley, Keenon Cooper, Da'Jon McKnight, Eric Lair, Duanne Bennett, Donnell Kirkwood. They were bad, but they weren't barren.

That's to take nothing away from what Kill has accomplished so far this year, but I've been very impressed by the changes that Wilson has made at Indiana. If they can find an even half-decent defensive coordinator they could be formidable. They've been recruiting very well with guys like Sudfeld/Coffman, Tevin Coleman, Darius Latham, and David Kenney.

They also landed the #1 QB recruit Gunner Kiel, of course he decommitted and it was only temporary, bit still that is an amazing feat for a program with as little success as IU has had, that would be even more impressive then if we landed Tyus or Jason Cornell, they also landed 5 four star recruits in their 2013 class, when was the last time IU did that

Beating them Saturday will seriously hurt their chances of going bowling.

Beating them on Saturday will end their chances of going bowling, since they have trips to Wisconsin and Ohio State on deck.

Knowing their season is on the line, Indiana will be playing with another level of intensity. I hope we can match that.

Beating them on Saturday will end their chances of going bowling, since they have trips to Wisconsin and Ohio State on deck. Knowing their season is on the line, Indiana will be playing with another level of intensity. I hope we can match that.

Just being careful because we were picked to go 0-8 a few weeks ago,

Top Bottom