Gophers to turn Insight Bowl into job fair

It looks like Shady is switching to DB instead of Stoudamire. Would he be a safety or a corner?

It looks like Shady is switching to DB instead of Stoudamire. Would he be a safety or a corner?

I'm thinking safety because of his body type. He has stocky with no neck as opposed to the leaner, thinner, more fluid type. Looks like he could be a heavy hitter.

This may be one of the most illuminating bits of information I've read in a long time:

Excerpt from above linked article:

Weber sticks with calls: Unlike what is going on with the Vikings and Brett Favre, there is no controversy with the Gophers over changing plays at the line of scrimmage. Fisch gave Weber the freedom to call audibles this season. But Weber said he rarely made that decision.

"I haven't had too many opportunities to audible because a lot of times the play we had was perfect for the situation," Weber said. "(You audible) when the defense gives you something you're not prepared for. Iowa State doesn't blitz too much, so we're not looking to make too many audibles. But we'll have a couple in our mind."

I think failing to audible more than every once in a while is a sellout. In my world audibles not only bail you out of an unexpected defensive move, they take full advantage of a defensive weakness noticed via accurate reads at the line. That's called trading a good play for a great play, but it also requires someone to make the accurate reads and apply instant creativity. Big problem if not done because you become as predictable as we were too many times last season.

I think failing to audible more than every once in a while is a sellout. In my world audibles not only bail you out of an unexpected defensive move, they take full advantage of a defensive weakness noticed via accurate reads at the line. That's called trading a good play for a great play, but it also requires someone to make the accurate reads and apply instant creativity. Big problem if not done because you become as predictable as we were too many times last season.

I agree that not being able to audible limits what a team can do. However, I don't think Weber was selling out by not doing it. Under Dunbar, Weber audibled quite frequently and, for the most part, with positive results. I think the difference is that Dunbar's keys were much easier for Weber to pick up on than under Fisch's system. This goes a long way to understanding Weber's play this year. So he's confused under center, the early play of the O line wasn't giving him time, and the receivers were confused on their routes all year. It's no longer a mystery why our offense was a mess.

Has anyone else noticed that out of the 12 games the Gophs played this year, 8 of those squads are playing in bowl games. I am thinking that is a pretty significant point to be made considering all that has gone on this year. If they can get that offense to average, and the defense plays like it has all year, I am thinking blowout in the bowl game. If the offense plays at an average D1 level all year they have at least two more wins. Hopefully they can figure it out. I am looking forward to New Years Eve!!!!

Fisch's offense is so complicated that I don't blame Weber for not wanting to audible too much. The team made enough mistakes in straight sets that I can only imagine how many more they'd have made (or needless time-outs taken) had Weber made audibles on a semi-regular basis.

I want to make it clear I'm not blaming the players here. I think Fisch just put too much in the offense this year, especially given the fact that the change from the previous offensive scheme was dramatic enough.

Agreed. The problem has been execution, not audibles. Growing pains are expected with a first year coordinator. We had two. I expect marked improvement at the Insight. The OL has to play much better. If the O can sustain drives it will improve the D by keeping them off the field. A running back like Edwards could be next year can make a huge difference.

I think Shady could be an impact player for us at safety. I also think Royston is ready to really get his game on.

We played a damm tough schedule and we were in almost every game. Thats a far cry from where we were two years ago when we could barely beat anybody.
This team is on the rise and I cant wait for the coming years.
You better get us now.

I agree that not being able to audible limits what a team can do. However, I don't think Weber was selling out by not doing it. Under Dunbar, Weber audibled quite frequently and, for the most part, with positive results. I think the difference is that Dunbar's keys were much easier for Weber to pick up on than under Fisch's system. This goes a long way to understanding Weber's play this year. So he's confused under center, the early play of the O line wasn't giving him time, and the receivers were confused on their routes all year. It's no longer a mystery why our offense was a mess.

Oh, agreed, at least to a great deal of what you say. Seems we've twice been the victim of a pro coach turning college coordinator and bringing with him complicated schemes that the younger guys can't handle, at least not during their first year of exposure. You're right that this complicated system hindered the offense in many ways. However, Weber still has issues that go beyond schemes and changes in coordinators. Just my opinion, but Weber's experience will not save his starting job in the face of stiff competition. The fact that he will be a senior will make it that much tougher as the coaches begin looking toward the future. Perhaps this will be an indication of the job Brewster has done building depth (or not). Come spring we should know a whole lot more, because it will likely be the first time Weber gets pushed long and hard to hold his spot.

Oh, agreed, at least to a great deal of what you say. Seems we've twice been the victim of a pro coach turning college coordinator and bringing with him complicated schemes that the younger guys can't handle, at least not during their first year of exposure. You're right that this complicated system hindered the offense in many ways. However, Weber still has issues that go beyond schemes and changes in coordinators. Just my opinion, but Weber's experience will not save his starting job in the face of stiff competition. The fact that he will be a senior will make it that much tougher as the coaches begin looking toward the future. Perhaps this will be an indication of the job Brewster has done building depth (or not). Come spring we should know a whole lot more, because it will likely be the first time Weber gets pushed long and hard to hold his spot.

Agreed. For all 3 years, Weber has missed more than his share of open receivers, usually throwing short. I think this goes back to his footwork in the pocket, it still needs work. Weber has always been a better thrower while rolling out than sitting in the pocket. He's a natural athlete and while running, his feet and throwing motion just come together, but in the pocket most QBs need to develop good footwork to be good passers.

Top Bottom