Gophers to play in Holiday Bowl

This is an complete embarrassment. Claey's lack of control should get him fired on the 28th. The texts between players are too strong of evidence to show that poor treatment of women is accepted on the football team. That these guys are still sticking by the 10 and managed to make this the headline at CNN, bringing great embarrassment to the entire university. The students needed to say they were wrong and distance themselves from the 10....too bad...

Great news, great way to start my Saturday morning. I watched it live - the statement they prepared was excellent, in my opinion. Very much looking forward to spending a week in southern California and watching the Gophers play in the Holiday Bowl!

Gophers players end boycott of football - Startribune

The players' statement reads, in part:

"As a team, we understand that what has occurred these past few days, and playing football for the University of Minnesota, is larger than just us. ...

"We now ask that you, the members of the media, our fans, and the general public hold all of us accountable for ensuring that our teammates are treated fairly, along with any and all victims of sexual assault. We also ask that the public dialogue related to the apparent lack of due process in a university system is openly discussed and evaluated.

"As football players, we know that we represent this University and this state and that we are held to a higher standard. We want to express our deepest gratitude to our coaching staff and so many others for their support during this difficult time, and we hope that our fans and community understand why we took the actions that we did.

"Our thoughts and prayers are for the well-being of the woman involved in the original incident, and for our 10 teammates to ensure that they are treated fairly. We look forward to representing the University of Minnesota and the state of Minnesota in the Holiday Bowl in a way that makes all of you proud."

Late Friday night, many players left the Gophers football complex after meeting with University President Eric Kaler and other school leaders convinced the team would boycott the bowl, sources said.

The players stance then, sources said, was to stand their ground on their boycott of all team activities due to 10 teammates being suspended earlier this week due to a months-long sexual assault investigation.

But sources said the players continued to discuss the boycott through the night. The players up all night, senior receiver Drew Wolitarsky said Saturday morning.

Wolitarsky read the players' statement Saturday morning, starting by condeming violence aganist women and sexual assault.

The players took biggest issue with "due process" and "communication."

"We're disappointed at the lack of communication" on the part of school leaders, Wolitarsky said, reading from the players' statement.

"After many hours of discussion within our team, and after speaking with President Kaler, it became clear that our original request of having the 10 suspensions overturned was not going to happen," the statement read.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-toward-ending-boycott-of-football/407201426/

Sounds like someone just got triggered...quick, run to your safe space!

Yeah, silly me, I think jokes about rape are in poor taste, particularly when players are currently being investigated for sexual assault. And then you double down by showing no remorse whatsoever. You're a garbage human being.

This is an complete embarrassment. Claey's lack of control should get him fired on the 28th. The texts between players are too strong of evidence to show that poor treatment of women is accepted on the football team. That these guys are still sticking by the 10 and managed to make this the headline at CNN, bringing great embarrassment to the entire university. The students needed to say they were wrong and distance themselves from the 10....too bad...

Where is Claeys? Pretty much all we have heard from him was the one tweet right? I know he is limited in what he can do or say but can you imagine something like this happening at Alabama and Saban being nowhere to be found?

p.s. yes I understand this would not happen at Alabama because they have too many things in place to ensure their players can't get in trouble no matter what they do......just saying if it did happen there....

If backing down on your ultimatum is knocking it out of the park..
A win for the administration

that's a good thing. all parties involved here do not come out as bad as they looked last night..

having said that, there is still concern about what happens to these 10 players. If there is expulsions, that could hurt with recruiting

Where is Claeys? Pretty much all we have heard from him was the one tweet right? I know he is limited in what he can do or say but can you imagine something like this happening at Alabama and Saban being nowhere to be found?

p.s. yes I understand this would not happen at Alabama because they have too many things in place to ensure their players can't get in trouble no matter what they do......just saying if it did happen there....

Yes a very bad example.

In watching the press conference, I would say that many 18-22 year olds on this team were forced to mature quite a bit in a two or three day period.

If backing down on your ultimatum is knocking it out of the park..
A win for the administration

It is good to see that the players changed their mind here. Admitting when you made a mistake is a good thing and they said the right things. Let's hope this is a start to turning the culture around.

At Alabama the boosters probably supply prostitutes to the players

But sources said the players continued to discuss the boycott through the night. The players up all night, senior receiver Drew Wolitarsky said Saturday morning.

Agree or disagree with what they did and said, it does appear that they have thought this all out. It wasn't a spur of the moment thing.

In watching the press conference, I would say that many 18-22 year olds on this team were forced to mature quite a bit in a two or three day period.

Yup. Everybody in the boycott group will grow from this in the end. Teaches the important lesson that there are layers of justice in this world, and standards that apply to organizations and groups that aren't necessarily the law. You can get fired at work for one ill considered comment, or even if the boss doesn't like the color of your shirt. Heck, I was capriciously and subjectively booted from a student group during my time at the U (after 4 years in it) for far, far less than what went down here. Nothing remotely criminal. That made me grow up a lot.

I don't blame them for being upset about the naming and shaming part. If they had been normal students they would have been expelled, packed up, and moved on anonymously to another school. This will follow these guys the rest of their lives and while I realize it would be hard to make 10 football players anonymously disappear, I get the gripe from the team about privacy and due process for their teammates.

For those that didn't watch it live, here was their message

73133e44999619e2ff07daa3b7eaf44f.jpg

Yeah, silly me, I think jokes about rape are in poor taste, particularly when players are currently being investigated for sexual assault. And then you double down by showing no remorse whatsoever. You're a garbage human being.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Internet bullying :mad:

The players' statement reads, in part:

"As a team, we understand that what has occurred these past few days, and playing football for the University of Minnesota, is larger than just us. ...

"We now ask that you, the members of the media, our fans, and the general public hold all of us accountable for ensuring that our teammates are treated fairly, along with any and all victims of sexual assault. We also ask that the public dialogue related to the apparent lack of due process in a university system is openly discussed and evaluated.

"As football players, we know that we represent this University and this state and that we are held to a higher standard. We want to express our deepest gratitude to our coaching staff and so many others for their support during this difficult time, and we hope that our fans and community understand why we took the actions that we did.

"Our thoughts and prayers are for the well-being of the woman involved in the original incident, and for our 10 teammates to ensure that they are treated fairly. We look forward to representing the University of Minnesota and the state of Minnesota in the Holiday Bowl in a way that makes all of you proud."

Late Friday night, many players left the Gophers football complex after meeting with University President Eric Kaler and other school leaders convinced the team would boycott the bowl, sources said.

The players stance then, sources said, was to stand their ground on their boycott of all team activities due to 10 teammates being suspended earlier this week due to a months-long sexual assault investigation.

Wolitarsky read the players' statement Saturday morning, starting by condeming violence aganist women and sexual assault.

The players took biggest issue with "due process" and "communication."

"We're disappointed at the lack of communication" on the part of school leaders, Wolitarsky said, reading from the players' statement.

"After many hours of discussion within our team, and after speaking with President Kaler, it became clear that our original request of having the 10 suspensions overturned was not going to happen," the statement read.

http://www.startribune.com/gophers-...-toward-ending-boycott-of-football/407201426/

Have a strong feeling what the team (and others around the country have dealt with this....Duke lacrosse, Virginia/Rolling Stone, Yale basketball, etc) is referring to will be addressed nationally/federally on January 21st. When the new federal Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, likely rescinds the unlawful, insanely unconstitutional, anti-male activist driven DOE "guidelines" (guidelines, not actual law mind you) relating to university investigations that the Obama administration put in place back in 2011. Put in place without passing any actual legislation and completely bypassing the role of Congress.

These ridiculous guidelines, which hold federal funding over public universities heads, by forcing them to unconstitutionally eliminate the correct and traditional understanding of being afforded due process under the ACTUAL law. Guidelines which unfairly and severely impact male students (all male students, not just student-athletes) and put them in basically completely untenable and unconstitutional positions of being "guilty until proven innocent" (rather than the constitutionally afforded precedent of innocent until proven guilty in an actual court of law) in a university settings while simultaneously stripping them of virtually all semblance of the constitutional right to due process.

It is not the role of activist driven, ideologically driven, rogue university committees and departments (i.e. like the EOAA office which is almost completely void of any diversity of gender in it's department....6 of 7 are females mostly from activist backgrounds) to play judge, jury and executioner. It is the role of ACTUAL judges and juries in the ACTUAL legal system long established in the United States.

To some on here that have been arguing on behalf of this ridiculously unlawful, "guideline enabled", kangaroo court system, which the EOAA office is unconstitutionally allowed to operate under, due to the Obama administration's reckless implementation of their unconstitutional federal DOE "guideline" in 2011, you're wrong. And hopefully this kangaroo court nonsense will be coming to an end in 2017.

Have a strong feeling what the team (and others around the country have dealt with this....Duke lacrosse, Virginia/Rolling Stone, Yale basketball, etc) is referring to will be addressed nationally/federally on January 21st. When the new federal Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, likely rescinds the unlawful, insanely unconstitutional, anti-male activist driven DOE "guidelines" (guidelines, not actual law mind you) relating to university investigations that the Obama administration put in place back in 2011. Put in place without passing any actual legislation and completely bypassing the role of Congress.

These ridiculous guidelines, which hold federal funding over public universities heads, by forcing them to unconstitutionally eliminate the correct and traditional understanding of being afforded due process under the ACTUAL law. Guidelines which unfairly and severely impact male students (all male students, not just student-athletes) and put them in basically completely untenable and unconstitutional positions of being "guilty until proven innocent" (rather than the constitutionally afforded precedent of innocent until proven guilty in an actual court of law) in a university settings while simultaneously stripping them of virtually all semblance of the constitutional right to due process.

It is not the role of activist driven, ideologically driven, rogue university committees and departments (i.e. like the EOAA office which is almost completely void of any diversity of gender in it's department....6 of 7 are females mostly from activist backgrounds) to play judge, jury and executioner. It is the role of ACTUAL judges and juries in the ACTUAL legal system long established in the United States.

To some on here that have been arguing on behalf of this ridiculously unlawful, "guideline enabled", kangaroo court system, which the EOAA office is unconstitutionally allowed to operate under, due to the Obama administration's reckless implementation of their unconstitutional federal DOE "guideline" in 2011, you're wrong. And hopefully this kangaroo court nonsense will be coming to an end in 2017.

Agreed.

I don't know what happened that night. They could very well all be rapists.

The process that the U was just about forced to follow was horrible though.

1. The players never had a chance to hear the victim's claims and contest them.

2. The guidelines force the investigation and recommendations to come quickly. As a result, there are multiple pieces of evidence, including the 90 second video and the new "electronic evidence" that were not included in the investigation

3. If they're even 51% sure that the student violated University rules, they treat it as if they know he broke the rules. This is particularly trouble for the part about lying to investigators which they said all but 1 of the players did. If you interviewed a group of around 10 friends who were regular college students and did nothing wrong about what they did on a particular weekend, I'm sure you could find enough evidence to say that some of them lied just because of people's memories. The standard of evidence should be much higher, considering that it's now just about impossible for any of these players to find decent paying jobs unless they make the NFL.

4. The people making the recommendations are predominately female and liberal and have a career incentive to decide against the accused unless it is blatantly obvious that they are innocent.

Kaler and Coyle certainly made some mistakes, particularly in saying that Claeys helped decide the suspensions, but the federal government almost forced them to make the decisions they did.

This whole situation could have been avoided if they would have just waited a bit longer, gathered more evidenced, and used a higher standard of proof.

The boycott will hopefully increase awareness of how the EOAA operates as I am sure many out there don't know. That report was a real eye opener to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys obviously didn't read the report. I don't want any of these clowns involved in the incident representing the U. Just sad, sick behavior.

The boycott will hopefully increase awareness of how the EOAA operates as I am sure many out there don't know. That report was a real eye opener to me.

This is all that they could hope for. As Pat stated this morning on 1500, I wonder if they knew that they were planning on coming back this morning.

You guys obviously didn't read the report. I don't want any of these clowns involved in the incident representing the U. Just sad, sick behavior.

I suppose its possible, but I have a feeling they have. They have just decided that the true villainy here lies with Kaler, Coyle and the EOAA.

I think the boycott served it's purpose. It brings the EOAA into the spotlight on a national level and starts a discussion on how sexual assault cases should be handled. It also increases the liklihood that the suspended players will receive a review on their involvment, hopefully from an unbiased committee. There's no longer a shade pulled down between the public and the EOAA process. I think now that the details have been released.....it's going to be much more difficult for the Kaler and Coyle to simply accept the EOAA recommendations.

Agree 100%. It's sad all the clowns on here wanting to gives these player clowns the benefit of the doubt.

And you obviously haven't read either of their statements. They were not condoning actions that could be construed as sexual assault or degradation of women- but were protesting the manner of releasing the names and the lack of due process especially with the 6 who were not involved with the "incident". But that's okay- keep up with your puritanical, holier than thou,?racially motivated? diatribe. You'd hate for facts to deter your agenda.

He's not worth the energy to type your words dpo. Hopefully the mods will just ban his vile rear end

The perfect team for the Holiday bowl, they embody the sharing spirt...

Top Bottom