Gophers to play a "secret scrimmage" at Iowa State on November 2

Not to be "that guy", but am I the only one who's a little disappointed in the effort that was put up today?

Yep. Sure we were sitting a few guys, sure this is a top-25 Iowa State team ... but for a squad with 4 returning starters and 2 senior guards, I wouldn't expect us to get whipped by anyone even in a mere practice. It's obviously early in the year, but a team with 4 returning starters should be pretty good even early in the year.

Is their practice gym really called "Sukup"? Hahahahaha, I saw that reference in the article and thought that was a joke at first.

While I'm not psyched to hear the result, now that it's out there I hope it gets around to Louisville. Wouldn't mind them thinking we're lousy. I didn't think actual scores of these things got out (thought it was more like controlled practice) and so I was thinking beforehand maybe Pitino would just tell Goodman that we played terribly even if we didn't, just to play mind games with his dad.

By the way, was anyone else really annoyed by Doogie's ignorant line that "Iowa State didn't even have their full team"? Says that almost gleefully, conveniently ignoring the fact that 2 of our top 6 players apparently sat (and that Iowa State really did have their full team. The two guys sitting were -- brace yourselves for the shock -- TRANSFERS who aren't currently eligible).

The Sukup family owns Sukup manufacturing and were lead donors on the practice facility (pronounced Sue-cup)

It is very relevant to point out that Jameel McKay is not eligible to play in this "scrimmage" as he will be eligible next month and will likely be a starter when that time comes. I personally would have had no clue if he could or could not participate in this. He will add a ton to ISU's team come December. Not defending Wolfson to you all though as I really do not care, just pointing out that I had no idea if McKay could play or not.

Yep. Sure we were sitting a few guys, sure this is a top-25 Iowa State team ... but for a squad with 4 returning starters and 2 senior guards, I wouldn't expect us to get whipped by anyone even in a mere practice. It's obviously early in the year, but a team with 4 returning starters should be pretty good even early in the year.

Beating Iowa St. and even Louisville would be sweet, but I'm more concerned about how we finish the season in Big 10 play, not an early November game. Tubby's teams were always good in November and Dec. How did that work out?

I agree, not the end of the world, if anything, hopefully it will be a wake up call for a #30 preseason ranked team (meaningless) that may have a slightly inflated ego.

I would say what is most disconcerning is the inexplicalbe disappearence of Mason from the line up- who hands down looked like the most promising offensive player on the team in the first scrimmage at Williams. I would hate to start hearing about discipline issues with this kid before the season has even started his freshman year.

I agree, not the end of the world, if anything, hopefully it will be a wake up call for a #30 preseason ranked team (meaningless) that may have a slightly inflated ego.

I would say what is most disconcerning is the inexplicalbe disappearence of Mason from the line up- who hands down looked like the most promising offensive player on the team in the first scrimmage at Williams. I would hate to start hearing about discipline issues with this kid before the season has even started his freshman year.

Ames Trib blog:

http://amestrib.com/hines-hoops/cobbling-together-some-secret-scrimmage-details

I hate you for putting that idea in my head that Mason was the unnamed other person out partying with Mr Unnamed x-Gopher.

who cares. Coaches use scrimmages for all sorts of things. Coaching FB I've scrimmaged teams and only played one coverage all day regardless of what they were in. I've run coverages we've barely talked about just to get players used to it or see who was paying attention. Sure they could've come out with the intention of playing straight up and got whooped. Or they could've been trying new things or certain things that didn't work well. Doesn't matter. For a coach the purpose of a scrimmage isn't to win, it's to evaluate your team and improve.

Missing Mo is a huge part of our offense. He's the only guy on our team that you can give the ball in the post and score consitently. He is going to be a big part of our offense this year. Also, without Mason, we essentially had one backup for 3 positions. That's one thing that is concerning to me for the season. If we have an injury to Hollins, Mathieu, Morris, Mcneil, or Mason, it is going to have a significant impact on the team. Joey can play the 3 on offense, due to his shooting, but he isn't guarding other wings one on one with any success.

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Go Gophers!!

Missing Mo is a huge part of our offense. He's the only guy on our team that you can give the ball in the post and score consitently. He is going to be a big part of our offense this year. Also, without Mason, we essentially had one backup for 3 positions. That's one thing that is concerning to me for the season. If we have an injury to Hollins, Mathieu, Morris, Mcneil, or Mason, it is going to have a significant impact on the team. Joey can play the 3 on offense, due to his shooting, but he isn't guarding other wings one on one with any success.

But can you imagine how many points ISU would have scored if Mo was playing defense? Lol

Without being there, it's impossible to know how each team approached the "scrimmage." Were the coaches experimenting with different combinations? Did they give more time to the new players and less time to the experienced players? I've attended a lot of HS jamborees and scrimmages - some coaches play it like a game and try to win. Other coaches don't give a rat's backside what the score is - they use it as a glorified practice session to work on things, and don't care what the score is. Maybe Fred Hoiberg was trying to send some kind of a message?

But can you imagine how many points ISU would have scored if Mo was playing defense? Lol

I don't think Mo is as bad as a defender as you do I guess. Elliot is the superior defender, but I don't think Mo is a sieve either.

Freddy's Home for Wayward Boys, I mean, the Iowa State basketball team, is a pretty good outfit again this year.

Freddy's Home for Wayward Boys, I mean, the Iowa State basketball team, is a pretty good outfit again this year.

Well not everyone can build a program "the right way" like Fran who has a player busted for OWI, busted again, do jail time and then face a stiff zero game suspension.

Well not everyone can build a program "the right way" like Fran who has a player busted for OWI, busted again, do jail time and then face a stiff zero game suspension.

I don't think you really want to compare rap sheets, clone.

All Good

who cares. Coaches use scrimmages for all sorts of things. Coaching FB I've scrimmaged teams and only played one coverage all day regardless of what they were in. I've run coverages we've barely talked about just to get players used to it or see who was paying attention. Sure they could've come out with the intention of playing straight up and got whooped. Or they could've been trying new things or certain things that didn't work well. Doesn't matter. For a coach the purpose of a scrimmage isn't to win, it's to evaluate your team and improve.

So many factors like ole says...what was our preparation for this "game"? Did we ride a bus, get off and play? Did we stay overnite a day early?
Definitely a home court advantage in this situation...their practice facility and their referees calling an emphasis which favored how Hoiberg wanted it officiated. 25 points is not a ton in men's college basketball...for instance Nate makes 8 3's and we lose by one. (we are not deep with shooters) Very easy to see at least a competitive game if they came to Mpls. under the same circumstances. I'm sure it will benefit us and the result is meaningless except as said for Pitino's purpose to his team. Iowa State is a very good team and they can score points. We found stuff to work on. All good.

Another thought I had, with no idea to the answer...what is the team's psyche or mood regarding the Lofton dismissal? Are there some guys very bummed
out a friend is gone? Are there some rejoicing? Are they ALL happy he's gone? I doubt it, it takes time for things like this to be processed sometimes. It could
have been a factor on a long bus ride.

Why is this Hawkeye fan arguing with a Cyclone fan on a Gopher message board? I like Cyclone fans - they seem realistic and well-grounded. Hawkeye fans...not so much.

Why is this Hawkeye fan arguing with a Cyclone fan on a Gopher message board? I like Cyclone fans - they seem realistic and well-grounded. Hawkeye fans...not so much.

well....you might want to re-read the Rashad Vaughn threads again.

So many factors like ole says...what was our preparation for this "game"? Did we ride a bus, get off and play? Did we stay overnite a day early?
Definitely a home court advantage in this situation...their practice facility and their referees calling an emphasis which favored how Hoiberg wanted it officiated. 25 points is not a ton in men's college basketball...for instance Nate makes 8 3's and we lose by one. (we are not deep with shooters) Very easy to see at least a competitive game if they came to Mpls. under the same circumstances. I'm sure it will benefit us and the result is meaningless except as said for Pitino's purpose to his team. Iowa State is a very good team and they can score points. We found stuff to work on. All good.

Another thought I had, with no idea to the answer...what is the team's psyche or mood regarding the Lofton dismissal? Are there some guys very bummed
out a friend is gone? Are there some rejoicing? Are they ALL happy he's gone? I doubt it, it takes time for things like this to be processed sometimes. It could
have been a factor on a long bus ride.

Since Joey King is the only guy from MN on the current squad and since Lofton's only been with the team since the summer and not last season I doubt it's a huge issue.

I find it to be quite the opposite when it comes to basketball.

Maybe not three years ago, but now, in the present, have at it. I do not think you will find the moral high ground you believe you stand on.

I find it hard to believe that you guys take stock in and worry about a god damned scrimmage.

Top Bottom