Gophers to play a "secret scrimmage" at Iowa State on November 2

If there's an opportunity to panic before the season even starts, you gotta do it.

Is Pitino even the right guy? You can't be losing non-existent scrimmages this badly

Is Pitino even the right guy? You can't be losing non-existent scrimmages this badly

Even in his final season, Monson didn't lose to Iowa State this badly. :cool:

Doogie - "ISU didn't even have full squad". That may be true, but neither did Minnesota. Two scholarships not being used right now by active players (Lofton and Diedhiou) and then two others sitting out (Walker and Mason).

I hope when we get shalacked by Louisville Pitino goes home with his dad.

Not surprised hearing Deandre struggled. Likely just amped up to be THE MAN. He needs to be a facilitator and a generator first. 5+ assists per game.

Per the link, on former Gopher commit:

I’m told that surprisingly, Daniel Edozie had nine and six for the Cyclones in 16 minutes.

Go Gophers!!

I caught that as well. Interesting. I wonder if he'll have a role on that team at some point.

Not to be "that guy", but am I the only one who's a little disappointed in the effort that was put up today? I understand the scrimmage had no meaning, but couldn't we at least have a little pride and keep it competitive.
*Doesn't change my perspective on the season AT ALL, but I just think they could've actually showed up to play a little bit and made it worth their time. That's all.

Not to be "that guy", but am I the only one who's a little disappointed in the effort that was put up today? I understand the scrimmage had no meaning, but couldn't we at least have a little pride and keep it competitive.
*Doesn't change my perspective on the season AT ALL, but I just think they could've actually showed up to play a little bit and made it worth their time. That's all.

So you are saying the Gophers dogged it and just went through the motions?? Now how would anyone not in attendance know that. It sounds as if the boys got their butts whipped by a better squad, for what this is worth at this time of the pre-season..

Can we at least see some non-existent highlights?

I'm sure this is not what Pitino was hoping for in the first competition, but it is probably an eye opener for anyone on the team that thought they were ready for the season to start.

Holy over reaction batman. Any reaction to this is unwarranted. Forget it happened. Sounds like Andre shot well and Carlos played well. We were without two scoring threats and played against a highly ranked team.

At least he isn't getting hired away by one of the elite programs, that's for sure.

A frikking scrimmage.
A score reported.
BFD.

GO GOPHERS!!!

Hopefully that will be the last time 103 (official or unofficial) is put up on them.

Whatever the result, Pitino learned a lot more about his squad than what he'll learn Thursday vs. UMD. I like the idea of these scrimmages replacing exhibition games, as long as the scrimmages are against quality teams. Hope Pitino continues to do this.

A little disappointed that the details of this scrimmage "leaked" . Georgetown and George Washington played a scrimmage on Saturday and there's been zero word on how that went. Somehow I have a feeling things would have been reported differently if the result was not what it allegedly was.

On the Gophers side of things, I believe we had 9 scholarship players for today and only 4 capable of playing 1-3. I'd rather the scrimmage have been more competitive on the scoreboard, but I'd also rather hear that the team got blown out in a scrimmage than that they blew somebody else out. Learning from a loss that doesn't count is much more beneficial than gaining confidence from a win that doesn't count. The most important thing is that we have Mo and Nate healthy and ready for Louisville.

If I had to guess they probably got up early today got on a boys and started the scrimmage pretty soon after they hot off the bus. Probably sluggish in the beginning. Sounds like neither team played any defense.

Doogie - "ISU didn't even have full squad". That may be true, but neither did Minnesota. Two scholarships not being used right now by active players (Lofton and Diedhiou) and then two others sitting out (Walker and Mason).

ISU is without Hallice Cooke (redshirting per transfer rules) and Jameel McKay. McKay is most likely a starter once eligible in December. ISU also played Abdel Nader and Matt Thomas sparingly it sounds like which I presume is part of the punishment for the indiscretions this summer in regards to OWI arrests.

ISU is without Hallice Cooke (redshirting per transfer rules) and Jameel McKay. McKay is most likely a starter once eligible in December. ISU also played Abdel Nader and Matt Thomas sparingly it sounds like which I presume is part of the punishment for the indiscretions this summer in regards to OWI arrests.

Red shirt players can still play in something like this though can't they? I swear Charles Buggs played in one of our exhibition games the year he redshirted.

I just find it funny how so many people care about who won practice.

For what it's worth, if my team of choice got crushed in this scrimmage I'd be playing the same angle.

Since you couldn't figure it out, I'll help. As his moniker infers, he's an ohio state fan who frequents this board. You'll have to ask him if osu lost in a scrimmage to justify his position...

Is their practice gym really called "Sukup"? Hahahahaha, I saw that reference in the article and thought that was a joke at first.

While I'm not psyched to hear the result, now that it's out there I hope it gets around to Louisville. Wouldn't mind them thinking we're lousy. I didn't think actual scores of these things got out (thought it was more like controlled practice) and so I was thinking beforehand maybe Pitino would just tell Goodman that we played terribly even if we didn't, just to play mind games with his dad.

By the way, was anyone else really annoyed by Doogie's ignorant line that "Iowa State didn't even have their full team"? Says that almost gleefully, conveniently ignoring the fact that 2 of our top 6 players apparently sat (and that Iowa State really did have their full team. The two guys sitting were -- brace yourselves for the shock -- TRANSFERS who aren't currently eligible).

Top Bottom