Gophers target: Morehead State PG Ta'Lon Cooper (5.9 APG)

Lot to like about this kid if he decides to come here. Free throw percentage down in the 60% range is a little concerning or a guard but hopefully he can bump that up some.

Will be interesting to see what happens this afternoon I guess.

Commit before visit? Hard to be optimistic . Seems like a decent point guard.
Would be odd but isn't unheard of. Covid really raised the profile of virtual visits so possible he saw enough on those to know he wanted to be here. Or he is going somewhere else....one way or another we will know this afternoon.

Commit before visit? Hard to be optimistic . Seems like a decent point guard.
It does seem weird, but also would be weird to announce and have a planned visit to a different school AFTER so kind of feels like its here.

I saw one service has Cooper at the #86 overall transfer, with Battle/Garcia up top and shooting options like Carrington and some high flyers, a true pass first PG would seem to make sense.

It does seem weird, but also would be weird to announce and have a planned visit to a different school AFTER so kind of feels like its here.

I don't agree with that. The more likely inference is that he's not coming here. Have you ever recruited in a field that is very competitive? People cancel visits all the time and tell you that they've accepted another position.

Would be odd but isn't unheard of. Covid really raised the profile of virtual visits so possible he saw enough on those to know he wanted to be here. Or he is going somewhere else....one way or another we will know this afternoon.

Well, I'd say it's pretty unheard of. Now, maybe it's not "impossible" but it's unlikely.

I don't agree with that. The more likely inference is that he's not coming here. Have you ever recruited in a field that is very competitive? People cancel visits all the time and tell you that they've accepted another position.
Hes 100% coming here.

I guess it depends what you think of this whole Twitter exchange with Cooper chiming in to Gopher fans saying "just stay tuned for tomorrow".
Also, one of his relatives (not sure if Mom or sister) liked a reply saying "hopefully it is the University of Minnesota".

I'm guessing what happened is that based on other guard visits that just took place, our coaching staff let him know he is a top priority but that scholarships may not last until the end of the week. He may commit to lock up his spot and then do his visit here. After all, it's not like he couldn't change his mind after his visit if things went sideways.

I guess it depends what you think of this whole Twitter exchange with Cooper chiming in to Gopher fans saying "just stay tuned for tomorrow".

What do I think of that? He's saying "wait to find out like everyone else."

What do I think of that? He's saying "wait to find out like everyone else."

He was also laughing in reply on the thread to someone saying that it would be odd to commit without having visited first.

Overall, it would just be very odd to be engaging specifically with fans of a school on Twitter that you weren't going to, IMO. The mom or sister liking the Minnesota tweets is what seals it for me though.

I guess we will see in 4 hours.

He was also laughing in reply on the thread to someone saying that it would be odd to commit without having visited first.

Overall, it would just be very odd to be engaging specifically with fans of a school on Twitter that you weren't going to, IMO. The mom or sister liking the Minnesota tweets is what seals it for me though.

I gave up on trying to decipher twitter posts a long time ago. :)

Good thing is we won't have to wait around long to find out.

Gopher Crew? the one that recently tweeted Sy and Taison are brothers? That Gopher Crew?

Gopher Crew? the one that recently tweeted Sy and Taison are brothers? That Gopher Crew?
He corrected it right away....and he isn't the one saying this is a done deal. Cooper is the one who started responding to the tweets. I have no idea if he is coming or not. I would expect he isn't since he is scheduled to visit this weekend. But the way Cooper responded to the tweets was interesting.

People are discounting the fact that coming here still means playing in the Big Ten - and now especially after the Garcia add - playing with a very talented front court. It's not like Cooper's other offers are blue bloods. Spots are starting to dry up in the portal, so it's not that crazy to think a player would be willing to make a decision before their visit. It's happened in football multiple times a year.

People are discounting the fact that coming here still means playing in the Big Ten

I thought I saw that he had offers from Vanderbilt and USC so one means playing in the SEC and the other means playing in he PAC 12. He's from South Carolina so I suspect playing in the SEC means more than playing in the Big Ten and playing at USC means playing in California.

I thought I saw that he had offers from Vanderbilt and USC so one means playing in the SEC and the other means playing in he PAC 12. He's from South Carolina so I suspect playing in the SEC means more than playing in the Big Ten and playing at USC means playing in California.
We will just have to wait and see....

I will say, idk who he is or what kind of info he has, but gopher crew seems to be right like 80% of the time. He made one little mix up with Sy Chatman and thought it was taisons brother and you guys all drag him in the dirt for it. He is reliable, and a really good twitter follow

Well, his Twitter claims he is "a kid from the 313" (which is in Michigan which is Big Ten country, so....?)

He will be committing here I believe in a few hours. I have no insider info. However, in reading the tea leaves, he is committing here. The Gophers have others who want to commit now and especially after Honor signed with Mizzou, Cooper was the top PG target. I think he will commit now and then confirm it with his visit.

Well, his Twitter claims he is "a kid from the 313" (which is in Michigan which is Big Ten country, so....?)

Well, all right, but he went to high school in South Carolina so I figured he was from there.

People are discounting the fact that coming here still means playing in the Big Ten - and now especially after the Garcia add - playing with a very talented front court. It's not like Cooper's other offers are blue bloods. Spots are starting to dry up in the portal, so it's not that crazy to think a player would be willing to make a decision before their visit. It's happened in football multiple times a year.
At worst, he gets to play for a bad Big 10 team but will likely get a TON of minutes. At best, there are some intriguing pieces here too.

No one wants to transfer up to sit on the bench (except maybe Theo John?), and he has to feel pretty comfortable in his chances of getting a lot of PT here.

Yeah his social media follows and interactions suggest MN is the spot.

Top Bottom