Gophers/Spartans Post Game Thread - analysis, frustration, suggestions & more

we lost to a good team, that, can make you look bad at times. I read all these concerns about "looking bad"...good teams can do that to you...just as we made THEM look bad at times.

Before the game, I told my wife there was about a 10% chance we would win this game...seemed fair.

IMO, there is Indiana and Michigan, then everyone else. Iowa is much better their record and will be pretty damn good next year. We split with MSU, will probably split with Wisconsin...lots of similarities between us, MSU and Wisconsin. The B1G is loaded and if we can end up in the top 6, there will be no shame in that.

The game was still in the balance with EE on the floor late in second half. Payne proceeded to take him to school, hence Tubby had to pull him.He gives you nothing on offense, and gets abused by upper echelon players on defense. Not exactly a winning combination against the better teams in the conference. I think his minutes are appropriate. I think more time for Ingram and Welch would add more. Welch can at least be as effective as he was last year if given more freedom and playing time. Ingram is more effective inside than Rodney and should take some of his minutes..

Ingram can't play and Welch is is hampered by a lack of quickness and a loss of confidence. EE is looking as good as he has looked all season. I didn't really mind Tubby's substitution pattern last night (even Mo Walker for a minute or so). The problem is that he has absolutely nothing on the bench.

I have been a Tubby backer since day 1 and still don't think we have a better option, but I think tonight's loss is on him. Michigan St has two guys that can take over a game and beat us...Appling and Harris. We played tough man to man the first half and let them score 18 points only. We jump out to a nice 5 point lead early in the 2nd half and Tubby decides to switch to zone.

The switch to zone let them go on that run where they hit 4 wide open 3's in a row. Michigan State shot pretty poorly in the first half so why switch to zone? Also, they were missing their backup point guard so why switch to zone and let them slow everything down?

To me that is what lost this game for us as we are going to make bad shots, bad passes, and give up points as well, but why stop playing man to man when clearly that was working?

Confidence is certainly lacking. Before our 4 game skid we were one of the worst teams in the country in terms of turnovers. Yet we won. The guys had confidence. I would say that confidence carried over in the second half of the Indian game. Now their turnovers have gone down. They had just 6 against Iowa but they seem tight. They seem tight with their movements, their outside shooting (especially Austin) and even from the free throw line. The bench must feel the leash is extremely tight. Maverick shot great in the first half the other night and then hardly

What do they say; be careful what you ask for, you may get it. Tubby needs to ask them to us their God given athleticism. I have confidence that they will figure it out.

This has been a fun year with high ratings, etc., but what really matters is how we finish. I look for us to finish strong and win 5 or 6 more games during conference play, win a couple in the Big Ten Tournament, and then positively surprise some folks in the NCAA's. Living in Atlanta I have been dreaming of seeing them in the Georgia Dome in April. That is probably not going to happen, but I have confidence that this will wind up being one of the greatest seasons we have ever had.

Stick it out with Tubby. I see 2014 and 15 as great recruiting years for us as this year's strong finish will encourage some great kids to stay at home.

Confidence is certainly lacking. Before our 4 game skid we were one of the worst teams in the country in terms of turnovers. Yet we won. The guys had confidence. I would say that confidence carried over in the second half of the Indian game. Now their turnovers have gone down. They had just 6 against Iowa but they seem tight. They seem tight with their movements, their outside shooting (especially Austin) and even from the free throw line. The bench must feel the leash is extremely tight. Maverick shot great in the first half the other night and then hardly

What do they say; be careful what you ask for, you may get it. Tubby needs to ask them to us their God given athleticism. I have confidence that they will figure it out.

This has been a fun year with high ratings, etc., but what really matters is how we finish. I look for us to finish strong and win 5 or 6 more games during conference play, win a couple in the Big Ten Tournament, and then positively surprise some folks in the NCAA's. Living in Atlanta I have been dreaming of seeing them in the Georgia Dome in April. That is probably not going to happen, but I have confidence that this will wind up being one of the greatest seasons we have ever had.

Stick it out with Tubby. I see 2014 and 15 as great recruiting years for us as this year's strong finish will encourage some great kids to stay at home.

I love your confidence in the big picture...Not sure where you summon that from at a time like this. I like Tubby as a man...I am greatful for him coming to Minnesota and getting the Gophers back into contention. It just appears he's not connecting with these kids. I think it's more likely this team continues the slide and winds up sweating out selection sunday than having a "strong finish" and winning any recruiting battles. Losing 5 of 7, including the NW game were devastating for Tubby and his chances of keeping any of the big 3 home from 2014. There's still time to turn it around and finish strong...We can only hope, but it's getting harder and harder to imagine.

I see 2014 and 15 as great recruiting years for us as this year's strong finish will encourage some great kids to stay at home.

I hope you're right. If the Gophers don't right the ship down the stretch, I don't think that'll impress the local "Big 3." That's one reason why how we finish this season is so important. The program/staff/players need to show the Big 3 this program is headed in a clearly positive direction. You at least need to do that if you're competing with the likes of Duke, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Kansas for the services of top-shelf local talent.

Scary, Moses and I actually agree on something.

His defense is bad. He always helps off his man for no reason resulting in giving up threes. The talk of him going pro earlier this season while stupid at the time, is looking dumbier all the time. Austin seems to have trouble finishing and handling. On a couple drives he looked so off balance and weak going to the hoop and luckly was bailed out by the refs. The team as a whole just can't handle the ball. Why Tubby couldn't see this coming is puzzling to me. He must have felt these guys would improve as ballhandlers. I said it before the season. Why instead of two forwards didn't he get another guard in here? A guy that could defend the three a little and handle the ball.

The bold part is right on the money. Did it time after time.

I've been saying we don't have one ball handler on the team and last night it really showed.

I hope you're right. If the Gophers don't right the ship down the stretch, I don't think that'll impress the local "Big 3." That's one reason why how we finish this season is so important. The program/staff/players need to show the Big 3 this program is headed in a clearly positive direction. You at least need to do that if you're competing with the likes of Duke, Michigan State, Ohio State, and Kansas for the services of top-shelf local talent.

Scary, Moses and I actually agree on something.

Precisely

How good of a senior/freshman backcourt would Andre and Tyus be? That would help Andre so much to play his natural position and play alongside a true PG.

The game was still in the balance with EE on the floor late in second half. Payne proceeded to take him to school, hence Tubby had to pull him.He gives you nothing on offense, and gets abused by upper echelon players on defense. Not exactly a winning combination against the better teams in the conference. I think his minutes are appropriate. I think more time for Ingram and Welch would add more. Welch can at least be as effective as he was last year if given more freedom and playing time. Ingram is more effective inside than Rodney and should take some of his minutes..

regarding Payne backing Elliott down with about 3 bumps--trying that move against the Badgers would have resulted in a charge, maybe due to a flop but a charge nonetheless. Elliott stayed with it and took 2 really good shoulder shots to the chest.

regarding Payne backing Elliott down with about 3 bumps--trying that move against the Badgers would have resulted in a charge, maybe due to a flop but a charge nonetheless. Elliott stayed with it and took 2 really good shoulder shots to the chest.

I was yelling at the tv for EE to fall over there. I hate flopping but I don't think that would have been an obvious one as Payne came into him very hard, especially the first time. Teams like Wisconsin and Duke do it when you breath on them.

I was yelling at the tv for EE to fall over there. I hate flopping but I don't think that would have been an obvious one as Payne came into him very hard, especially the first time. Teams like Wisconsin and Duke do it when you breath on them.

I was thinking the same.

I can't do it. To me, taking a dive to draw a foul is cheating, even you are legitimately being fouled. I almost vomit when Duke and Wisconsin do it.

they should try running the O thru EE at the high post.... dump downs to trevor, kickouts for 3's... or that little 12 footer he hit tonight in a bind..
something other than the 25-second-weave-then-go-one-on-one-and-jack-up-a-prayer that we have been running would be nice.

Isn't this one of the things that made so many posters mad about Ralph(posting up high rather than using his size in the low post)? Not sure it's a good idea.

Isn't this one of the things that made so many posters mad about Ralph(posting up high rather than using his size in the low post)? Not sure it's a good idea.

but with EE and trevor in the game at same time, you cannot run a double low.. so who goes high? certainly not trevor. plus EE is a much better passer than Ralph ever was.. very crisp, doesn't hold the ball too long, swings it to the weakside quickly..

Relax Don and have another drink!
I think if I was the Coach of the GopherHole Gophers, we would go undefeated because we would score every possession and stop our opponents on every possession. We have the talent, ya all just need me to coach ya. Me and Tinkerbell would bring Magic to The BARN!!!

but with EE and trevor in the game at same time, you cannot run a double low.. so who goes high? certainly not trevor. plus EE is a much better passer than Ralph ever was.. very crisp, doesn't hold the ball too long, swings it to the weakside quickly..

You're not making me a believer at all. Any stats or proof at all that suggest EE is a better passer than Ralph ever was? Passing was actually one of Ralphs better things. Making moves to the basket or posting up down low not so much.

I love your confidence in the big picture...Not sure where you summon that from at a time like this. I like Tubby as a man...I am greatful for him coming to Minnesota and getting the Gophers back into contention. It just appears he's not connecting with these kids. I think it's more likely this team continues the slide and winds up sweating out selection sunday than having a "strong finish" and winning any recruiting battles. Losing 5 of 7, including the NW game were devastating for Tubby and his chances of keeping any of the big 3 home from 2014. There's still time to turn it around and finish strong...We can only hope, but it's getting harder and harder to imagine.

I felt that we would struggle against Michigan and Indiana and we did. I did not think we would beat Michigan State in their building. I did not like watching us lose those games but I hated our play against Northwestern and Wisconsin. I got very mad just like almost everyone else on this board.

That being said, this is my favorite time of year. I have been watching Gopher basketball since 1969 when I started school at the U. I love it. Even during our truly bad years. That is where I summon my positive view from. The Iowa game is what college basketball is all about. The way we won the game was really cool with Austin stepping up at a critical moment with a 3 and then great D.

Look at what happened last night at Illinois; they beat Indiana on one of the most embarrassing defensive plays you will ever see. Look at the Kansas loss to a team with an RPI over 200 I believe. Things happen. The season ebbs and flows. We are still healthy. The energy level against Michigan State, especially in the first half, was extremely high defensively. We just could not put the ball in the basket. I still believe in this team and in Tubby. There will be some real exciting high points the rest of year and for me they will offset the low points.

I felt that we would struggle against Michigan and Indiana and we did. I did not think we would beat Michigan State in their building. I did not like watching us lose those games but I hated our play against Northwestern and Wisconsin. I got very mad just like almost everyone else on this board.

That being said, this is my favorite time of year. I have been watching Gopher basketball since 1969 when I started school at the U. I love it. Even during our truly bad years. That is where I summon my positive view from. The Iowa game is what college basketball is all about. The way we won the game was really cool with Austin stepping up at a critical moment with a 3 and then great D.

Look at what happened last night at Illinois; they beat Indiana on one of the most embarrassing defensive plays you will ever see. Look at the Kansas loss to a team with an RPI over 200 I believe. Things happen. The season ebbs and flows. We are still healthy. The energy level against Michigan State, especially in the first half, was extremely high defensively. We just could not put the ball in the basket. I still believe in this team and in Tubby. There will be some real exciting high points the rest of year and for me they will offset the low points.

Those 2 games make me cringe...absolute shell of a team. No energy on either end of the floor, yet, they could have won both.

Why would anyone defend ee 10 ft from the hoop? I would sag and double mbakwe and dare ee to put up 10ft+ jumper. Sampson could shoot the ball, he just had the strength of an 8 yr old girl;)

EE has hit 2 12 foot jumpers the last two games! I believe it is probably an abberation. Trevor has hit that free throw line shot this year at the high post. The problem is EE cannot make a shot within 5 feet that is not a dunk. EE moves the ball at the high post because he doesnt look to score.

EE has hit 2 12 foot jumpers the last two games! I believe it is probably an abberation. Trevor has hit that free throw line shot this year at the high post. The problem is EE cannot make a shot within 5 feet that is not a dunk. EE moves the ball at the high post because he doesnt look to score.

exactly!
now with EE moving the ball from side to side at the FT line, we are now in the soft underbelly of the D.. we haven't been there for a month.
he hits 2 strait 12 footers, and you'll see panic in Izzo's eyes.... or Bo's eyes.. ( does bo even have eyes? ).

anyway...

anything is better than Dre stepping even further back to launch a 3 at the shot clock buzzer.

Why would anyone defend ee 10 ft from the hoop? I would sag and double mbakwe and dare ee to put up 10ft+ jumper. Sampson could shoot the ball, he just had the strength of an 8 yr old girl;)

i would also sag.. but what if EE can hit a few?
the D would be ripped apart.. either you leave the double on Mbakwe, or drop a guard down.. now i either have an open 3 or mbakwe 1-on-1 and i have a great angle from the FT line to feed him.

8th grade stuff.. but it works every time.

Top Bottom