Gophers Sign Buggs and Ellenson to National Letters of Intent

It might not be that easy to find a physical JUCO power forward who can step in and help right away. And even if it is, often times JUCO players have some sort of issues, whether it be academic or character. Not always, but often enough where it becomes a realistic concern. It's also become pretty clear that Tubby values character and academic standing very highly and because of that fact combined with the fact that physical JUCO power forwards with high-major talent don't grow on trees, I think it's unlikely that he goes the JUCO route. I know he offered Mbakwe and Welch (Bostick and PC was before his slight change in recruiting philosophy), but they're the exception.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not implying that any of our current of former JUCO players have or had character issues, just merely pointing out that they are JUCOs and I think from now on Tubby will likely avoid recruiting JUCOs if he can help it.

Of course, a good 4 year prospect must be our priority. That is given. If not working out, then a Juco may not be unreasonable. If there are no good Juco prospect, then we may have to move on with a long term project hoping for the best next season.

Just that I will not treat the idea of getting a mature Juco body with maximum prejudice given the possible frontcourt situation next season. That is about it.

I'm pretty excited about Buggs. I for one, do not think recruiting has been a problem. Its been player retention thats been a problem. Recruiting has been just fine IMO.

I agree 100%. If Joseph, White, and Iverson were on the roster this place would be looking for a B10 championship.

gopherbadgerman said:
I agree 100%. If Joseph, White, and Iverson were on the roster this place would be looking for a B10 championship.

Absolutely. With even just White or Devoe this team would be looking pretty sweet right now.

I think Phillip Nolan is a "must get". We need another big and he reminds me of a Leuer-type of player that can play inside and also hit the outside shot. I'm wondering why Whisky isn't recruiting him harder (no schollies?). Maybe UWole can offer some insight on his recruitment and talent level.

I think Phillip Nolan is a "must get". We need another big and he reminds me of a Leuer-type of player that can play inside and also hit the outside shot. I'm wondering why Whisky isn't recruiting him harder (no schollies?). Maybe UWole can offer some insight on his recruitment and talent level.

Wisconsin only had two scholarships for this class and one of them went to Dekker. The other was held for Tokoto but with him signing with UNC it appears that it will be held open for 2013. Wisconsin had taken bigs in back to back classes so they were looking to take two wings in this class. Nolan is still very skinny but moves well for a kid his height. I think that he is a solid player but I wouldn't put him in the "must get" category as he probably won't be a program maker. He also will be sitting out this year due to transfer rules so it will be interesting to see if he reclassifies to 2013, goes JUCO, or just goes to college without playing his senior year. In 2013 Wisconsin is looking at taking a PG (Koenig), a SG, a SF, and a PF. They are looking for Kyle Washington at the PF and it looks like Luke Fischer would be the backup there so even if he reclassifies he probably wouldn't get much interest. As an aside- I know that the Gophers are looking at Matt Thomas for that class but UW's number 1 SG target decided to stay close to home and went with PSU. If Josh Davenport decides to go elsewhere or drag his feet Thomas could get an offer and that would really hurt the Gophers' chances IMO.

Tubby's history of fall signings has been strong. His spring recruiting not so much. I predict at least two if not three schollies coming available this spring.

Although I do not have any issue with the two players we picked up per se -- welcome aboard, Wally and Charles -- I do have a little concern about the make-up of the future roster.

I don't wanna unnecessarily diminish EE and Mo in any way. However, when a big boy takes a redshirt year, it usually means that he is a project. Also, Mo's injury can linger on. Ingram will help, but we don't know by how much. Without TM and Ralph, we may need another serviceable big body next season. Depending on how the guard situation (in addition to Rodney's future) plays out this season, I think we can have up to 4 schollies (though 3 is more realistic). If so, would we be better off by adding a physical Juco PF? I am leaning toward that possibility. Hopefully, Tubby can find a good 4 year prospect, but the Juco route may not be unreasonable, either. Methinks...

Methinks? What?

Wait, what? He's a high school kid, right?

Ya- The WIAA put in a rule a couple years ago about transferring for stuff sports related. Recruiting was going on between all of the Milwaukee City Conference schools and some of the suburban schools. The tipping point was really when Korie Lucious (best known for pretty much getting the boot at MSU) transferred to Pius HS and then a bunch of the better players in the area transferred there to play with him. Pretty much if you switch schools without moving you better have a darn good reason (and not have to do with sports). Nolan went from Vincent out to prep school and now transferred back to Riverside. The rules stated that he had to sit, it was appealed, and upheld.

^ For those that don't know, that's how it is in Minnesota too. If you transfer you sit out a year, unless you have a good reason (moving, maybe private to public cause of money)

Ya- The WIAA put in a rule a couple years ago about transferring for stuff sports related. Recruiting was going on between all of the Milwaukee City Conference schools and some of the suburban schools. The tipping point was really when Korie Lucious (best known for pretty much getting the boot at MSU) transferred to Pius HS and then a bunch of the better players in the area transferred there to play with him. Pretty much if you switch schools without moving you better have a darn good reason (and not have to do with sports). Nolan went from Vincent out to prep school and now transferred back to Riverside. The rules stated that he had to sit, it was appealed, and upheld.

Never mind, I totally misread that. For some reason I thought you were saying he would have to sit out a year once he got to college. D'oh!

Top Bottom