Gophers Sign Buggs and Ellenson to National Letters of Intent

I know this is a huge, huge, huge stretch, but don't these two have some common traits of Willie Burton and Sam Jacobson right out of high school?

Ranked highly by ESPN and Rivals, Buggs chose the Gophers over offers from Arkansas, Charlotte, Clemson, Marquette, Santa Clara, Seton Hall & West Virginia.

Better offers than most our typical Tubby recruits.

Charles also had offers from Miami-FL, northwestern, Boston college, Texas Tech, Missouri, and several others.

Stanford, Baylor, Texas aTm, Florida, and a few other top programs had been in contact and would have followed him had he waited to sign.

Yeah much better than Ralphs, Iversons, Andre Hollins, Austin Hollins, Mo Walkers, Rodneys, Royce Whites, Trevors and Devoes offers

I was afraid we were heading for disaster this year on the recruiting front, no big names like White or Mbwake but decent just the same. A little success on the floor and it will be back to the level it was the first two years under Tubby.

I'm surprised he didn't wait if that's the case. Do you know why he didn't? In any case, I'm glad we locked him up.

Charles also had offers from Miami-FL, northwestern, Boston college, Texas Tech, Missouri, and several others.

Stanford, Baylor, Texas aTm, Florida, and a few other top programs had been in contact and would have followed him had he waited to sign.

Better offers than most our typical Tubby recruits.

While we already had one tongue in cheek response.. I will also add that Tubby has consistently landed recruits that have had offers from top programs or at least programs our equal or better. (Sampson: Ga TEch, Devoe: Texas, Iverson: Florida)

I'm pretty excited about Buggs. I for one, do not think recruiting has been a problem. Its been player retention thats been a problem. Recruiting has been just fine IMO.

Although I do not have any issue with the two players we picked up per se -- welcome aboard, Wally and Charles -- I do have a little concern about the make-up of the future roster.

I don't wanna unnecessarily diminish EE and Mo in any way. However, when a big boy takes a redshirt year, it usually means that he is a project. Also, Mo's injury can linger on. Ingram will help, but we don't know by how much. Without TM and Ralph, we may need another serviceable big body next season. Depending on how the guard situation (in addition to Rodney's future) plays out this season, I think we can have up to 4 schollies (though 3 is more realistic). If so, would we be better off by adding a physical Juco PF? I am leaning toward that possibility. Hopefully, Tubby can find a good 4 year prospect, but the Juco route may not be unreasonable, either. Methinks...

It might not be that easy to find a physical JUCO power forward who can step in and help right away. And even if it is, often times JUCO players have some sort of issues, whether it be academic or character. Not always, but often enough where it becomes a realistic concern. It's also become pretty clear that Tubby values character and academic standing very highly and because of that fact combined with the fact that physical JUCO power forwards with high-major talent don't grow on trees, I think it's unlikely that he goes the JUCO route. I know he offered Mbakwe and Welch (Bostick and PC was before his slight change in recruiting philosophy), but they're the exception.

Edit: To be clear, I'm not implying that any of our current of former JUCO players have or had character issues, just merely pointing out that they are JUCOs and I think from now on Tubby will likely avoid recruiting JUCOs if he can help it.

Marcus writes of Ellenson;
"The 6-11 Nolan is a former AAU teammate of Ellenson, who is trying to persuade him to join the Gophers, as well. "

Cobbs, Carter, EE, Ingram, Chip, Mav, Oto, etc.

1. Love the "etc." at the like there's a bunch more besides what you've listed.
2. "Better offers than most our typical Tubby recruits." How does seven guys make up "most"?

1. Love the "etc." at the like there's a bunch more besides what you've listed.
2. "Better offers than most our typical Tubby recruits." How does seven guys make up "most"?

Joe, Welch.

And Rodney, Colt, etc. didn't have a better offer list either.

Arkansas, Charlotte, Clemson, Marquette, Santa Clara, Seton Hall & West Virginia.

the second etc. was a joke hacksaw

Devron's offers were pretty much equal

I would still say our first two signs of the 2012 class are better than most the recruits Tub has brought in.

the second etc. was a joke hacksaw

Devron's offers were pretty much equal

I would still say our first two signs of the 2012 class are better than most his recruits Tub has brought in.
Most means majority, which is not true.

I say majority. Break em all down if you disagree.
I don't have the actual facts, but it seemed like almost all of Tubby's recruits had similar offers, except Mav, Oto, and Carter. Rodney only had one other team listed on ESPN but that could be because of when he committed, I'm not sure. BTW, Cobbs had been looked at by USC, Cal, Wazzu, and San Diego St. 3 schools at one of the big 6 conferences and San Diego St., a two seed in last year's tourney.

I don't have the actual facts, but it seemed like almost all of Tubby's recruits had similar offers, except Mav, Oto, and Carter.
... & Chip, Ingram, Ellison, Welch, Joe... Like I said Colt, Devron and Rodney didn't have better list. Andre's doesn't top them either.

I don't know who recruited Mbakwe the year after of juco besides us.

Ralph, Mo, Devoe, Austin, Royce had better offers... your probably right on Cobbs.

Eliason had offers from 2 power conference schools, ASU and Stanford, granted they aren't considered power schools though. Colt had Florida after at least one NC, possibly 2, ISU, Iowa, and Nebraska. Chip was widely considered a football recruit after getting an offer from LSU. I'm guessing Mbakwe didn't have any offers because he committed to Minnesota early, that's why I didn't mention him. For the JUCOs I think it needs to be taken into consideration most good programs don't go after JUCO players because they would rather bring in freshmen.

Like I said-

Eliason - Not better offers.
Colt - Not better offers
Chip - Not better offers.
Juco's - Not better offers.

Is there a reason you want to diminish the start of a strong 2012 class? It's a good thing.

I'm guessing Mbakwe didn't have any offers because he committed to Minnesota early, that's why I didn't mention him.

I remember reading more than one article that Memphis wanted Mbakwe a lot.

I remember reading more than one article that Memphis wanted Mbakwe a lot.

I don't know who recruited Mbakwe the year after of juco besides us.

I'm talking about after his juco year, not after his first year here when he had to sit out, he was pissed considered transferring and yes then Menphis was after him.

Colt-Similar. 5 BCS offers inclucing Florida, Iowa, Iowa St., and Nebraska
Elliason-Similar. 4 BSC offers including Arizona St, Stanford, and Nebraska
Oto Osenieks-Similar 4 BSC offers including Florida, Provience, and Iowa St
R Williams- No better offers (At one time he did. Many backed away because of his ACT scores)
Mbakwe-No other offers but was signed to Marquette out of HS. Would've been a high-major period.
Ahamnisi- No better offers
Armelien- No better offers

I wouldn't put alot of stock in JUCO offers. Bostcik may have been a bust but Mbakwe and Carter were great finds you have to admit. Jury is out on Welch and Ingram. My guess is Welch will be find and Ingram will be a reach. I get as frustrated as anyone else about Tubby's recruiting. I would've liked to see him offer a few more local kids. But beyond the obvious reaches for Chip, Maverick, and possibly Ingram he actually had done well. His problem is keeping his recruits. If Royce, Carter, Devoe, Iverson, and Cobbs never leave I think we'd all be singing a different tune, including myself.

R Williams- No better offers (At one time he did. Many backed away because of his ACT scores)
Mbakwe-No other offers but was signed to Marquette out of HS. Would've been a high-major period.
Ahamnisi- No better offers
Armelien- No better offers

I wouldn't put alot of stock in JUCO offers. Bostcik may have been a bust but Mbakwe and Carter were great finds you have to admit. Jury is out on Welch and Ingram. My guess is Welch will be find and Ingram will be a reach. I get as frustrated as anyone else about Tubby's recruiting. I would've liked to see him offer a few more local kids. But beyond the obvious reaches for Chip, Maverick, and possibly Ingram he actually had done well. His problem is keeping his recruits. If Royce, Carter, Devoe, Iverson, and Cobbs never leave I think we'd all be singing a different tune, including myself.

Seems to me some of those are interest and not actual offers.

Seems to me some of those are interest and not actual offers.
That's kinda what i was thinking, but it's hard to tell on ESPN because once a player is committed they get rid of the checkmarks for offers, I think, or maybe after they enter school. Rivals wasn't working for me and Scout doesn't even have Ingram from last year's class.

Also @katze I'm not diminishing this year's class, just arguing when you said they have better offers than most of Tubby's recruits.

Top Bottom