Gophers showing interest in JUCO Dan Edozie UPDATED (10/3): Commits to Gophers

Daniel Edozie arrived to Minnesota Thursday and will be here until Saturday. I'll have more on the visit later.

Chris Monter

Straight out of Compton.

If we can land Reid a JUCO would perfect.

Might be wrong here, but didn't they do exactly that for Derrick Wells? You know, the sophomore who is arguably the best defensive back on the team? By the way, last I heard we haven't even offered Edozie.

Could be, but Kill seems to take more of an "evaluate them in person" approach. Tubby comes across as a lazy recruiter who frequently changes his strategy/targets mid-stream and then backfills with marginal guys when his A-H targets go somewhere else

Could be, but Kill seems to take more of an "evaluate them in person" approach. Tubby comes across as a lazy recruiter who frequently changes his strategy/targets mid-stream and then backfills with marginal guys when his A-H targets go somewhere else

I like the part where you obviously have great amounts of personal experience with both as recruiters. It's not like you've just cherry-picked information to confirm your pre-existing bias or anything.

It's almost as if Tubby has been recruiting Alvin Ellis for quite a while, and has made it clear that he was a top choice. Weird, eh?

I seem to be in the minority, but I think Tubby does a solid job recruiting. I know this is an echo of previous posts, but Tubby made Ellis a top priority so I am glad he has committed. That being said I wish there was more information about Edozie, but then again seeing Tubby is after him in the fall and not the Spring shows there is something likable about him. Before we start calling this class a bust lets see how it pans out!

Marcus tweet: "Heard that Tyler Junior College big man Daniel Edozie's visit with the #Gophers went well. No commitment though."

Go Gophers!!

Marcus blog: Gophers JC target Daniel Edozie about his visit: “Everything stood out to me”

“It went pretty good, pretty well,” Edozie told the Pioneer Press. “I got a chance to meet the team, the coaches and the academic staff. I got a chance to tour the campus and see the student union and (Williams Arena) and everything. I got a chance to see the team go up and down a little bit (on Thursday).”

http://blogs.twincities.com/gophers...get-daniel-edozie-everything-stood-out-to-me/

Go Gophers!!

Probably most of them, actually. You show that you don't know much about football recruiting at all.

You don't know much about anything despite your message board personna ("be obnoxious, and people will assume that I know what I am talking about.")

The "under the radar" Mav and Chip football equivalents have had no contact by Kill or staff? Believe what you want; that's not how he has rebuilt programs at his previous stops. And, with such a small number of scholarships available this year, that is why he is being extra cautious and not making Maverick or Chip types of offers.

Try again...

I like the part where you obviously have great amounts of personal experience with both as recruiters. It's not like you've just cherry-picked information to confirm your pre-existing bias or anything.

It's almost as if Tubby has been recruiting Alvin Ellis for quite a while, and has made it clear that he was a top choice. Weird, eh?

Yeah, Tubby is busting his bottom in terms of recruiting. How many other misses has Tubby had this year? And I'm cherry-picking information.....

The "under the radar" Mav and Chip football equivalents have had no contact by Kill or staff?

Before they offer? Happens all the time. Most of the time, actually. I'm sorry that you know next-to-nothing about football recruiting. Pretending like you know me or anything about me doesn't change that fact.

I guess this means we offered. Amelia's tweet:

"JC forward Daniel Edozie has verbally committed to the University of Minnesota. He called Tubby Smith this morning, he said. #Gophers"

Go Gophers!!

Before they offer? Happens all the time. Most of the time, actually. I'm sorry that you know next-to-nothing about football recruiting. Pretending like you know me or anything about me doesn't change that fact.

This is becoming really tedious, genius. How many of the football verbals this fall camped with Kill? Try doing a little research

P.S. The guy in the trailer next door wants to know if he can borrow your plunger

Before they offer isn't the question, plunger boy. The question is after they offer. Obviously, targets are identified via various means that we'll never have full transparency into. The point is what they do with those leads. Kill doesn't offer them sight unseen. Could that result in a camp offer or a decision to visit (to observe them in action)? Of course. Tubby did neither with Chip or Mav.

Looking forward to one of your "I know everything" retorts!!! Also, your supervisor called to say that you need to cover half of Solly's trash collection route tomorrow.

5 pts/5 rebounds in JUCO should translate into around 1.5 points/2 rebounds in the Big Ten. Solid get by Tubby. Even Tubby apologist Parski speechless by this offer.

This commitment isn't exciting to me by any means, but let's hope he truly is a diamond in the rough and surprises some people. Maybe his size will allow him to be a good rebounder. Let's please save at least one scholarship for 2014 though.

By the way jamalo, it's a commitment, not a signing. And trying to convert stats from one level to the next isn't possible, so why even try?

Before they offer isn't the question, plunger boy. The question is after they offer.

That's what YOU said, not me. Your original quote:

how many recruits do you think that Jerry Kill offers by just viewing film and speaking to the coaches

Thus, the entire conversation is about what has happened BEFORE Kill gives the offer, not AFTER. If you wanted to frame the discussion around what happens AFTER the offer, perhaps you should have stated something along the lines of "how many recruits do you think that Jerry Kill accepts a commit from by just viewing film and speaking to the coaches". In which case, the answer would be zero and your point would be correct. YOU are the one who framed it as a discussion of the groundwork done BEFORE the offer, not AFTER. If you wanted to discuss what happens AFTER the offer, you should have said so. It's not my fault that you're terrible at organizing and elucidating your thoughts. That's your problem. All the pathetic lame-ass ad hominem you attempt doesn't make you any less W-R-O-N-G.

Kill doesn't offer them sight unseen.

It depends what you mean by "sight unseen". If by "sight unseen", you mean no type of film study, you are correct. If you mean that he or an assistant have never personally laid eyes on the player in a game or camp scenario, you are W-R-O-N-G. That's the whole point. Football offers happen all the time, the overwhelming majority of the time in fact, on nothing more than film study and possibly the word of coaches or other football personnel with whom Kill or a staff member have a relationship. If you want to talk about taking a commit, that's an entirely different discussion. If that's the discussion you wanted to have, you should have said so. That's not my problem.

5 pts/5 rebounds in JUCO should translate into around 1.5 points/2 rebounds in the Big Ten. Solid get by Tubby. Even Tubby apologist Parski speechless by this offer.

I'm not sure, even my boy Nurumbi who had solid JUCO numbers averaged less than 1 point and 1 rebound per game as a gopher.

Nurumbi, a 6-7, 225-pound forward, played last season at Arizona Western Junior College where he averaged 16.7 points and 8.1 rebounds while shooting 58 percent from the field. Nurumbi led his team to a 28-7 record and into the second round of the NJCAA National Tournament. A native of Kinsasha, Congo, the 22- year-old Nurumbi earned third team National Junior College All-American honors last season. As a freshman, Nurumbi played at the University of Prince Edward Island in Canada before moving to Arizona Western.

That's what YOU said, not me. Your original quote:

Thus, the entire conversation is about what has happened BEFORE Kill gives the offer, not AFTER. If you wanted to frame the discussion around what happens AFTER the offer, perhaps you should have stated something along the lines of "how many recruits do you think that Jerry Kill accepts a commit from by just viewing film and speaking to the coaches". In which case, the answer would be zero and your point would be correct. YOU are the one who framed it as a discussion of the groundwork done BEFORE the offer, not AFTER. If you wanted to discuss what happens AFTER the offer, you should have said so. It's not my fault that you're terrible at organizing and elucidating your thoughts. That's your problem. All the pathetic lame-ass ad hominem you attempt doesn't make you any less W-R-O-N-G.

It depends what you mean by "sight unseen". If by "sight unseen", you mean no type of film study, you are correct. If you mean that he or an assistant have never personally laid eyes on the player in a game or camp scenario, you are W-R-O-N-G. That's the whole point. Football offers happen all the time, the overwhelming majority of the time in fact, on nothing more than film study and possibly the word of coaches or other football personnel with whom Kill or a staff member have a relationship. If you want to talk about taking a commit, that's an entirely different discussion. If that's the discussion you wanted to have, you should have said so. That's not my problem.

Kill didn't offer any of the 6 verbal commitments before they camped with him. Not clear on your point. The film, conversations, etc. likely led to a CAMP invitation, but the scholarship offer didn't come until after Kill and staff observed them in camp

By the way jamalo, it's a commitment, not a signing. And trying to convert stats from one level to the next isn't possible, so why even try?

I'd be very happy if Auggie Tech or Hamline is able to flip his commitment

Top Bottom