Gophers receive commitment from Florida wide receiver Douglas Emilien

Not trying to hate on the kid, just don't typically hear 4.74 and a highly recruited receiver. Thought it was actually a typo at first. RTB

He looks like a good route runner. Five WRs? There are sixteen listed in this year's roster with only Tyler Johnson graduating. Which one of the players whose name is not bolded will step up next season? Will some of these be converted to other positions?
(Click on the names)

Last edited:

Offers from Boston College, Cincinnati, Iowa State, Kentucky, LSU, Marshall, Maryland, U of Miami, North Carolina State, Northern Illinois, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Southern Miss, Syracuse, Toledo, UTSA, Vanderbilt, West Virginia, and others lower level offers.

If a kid looks fast on tape, and has elite numbers in other areas, I’m just gonna assume the 4.74 isn’t accurate. Especially if he has Miami and LSU offers.

He has LSU and Brown. That says he's developed academically and athletically already. He'll fit in.

Not trying to hate on the kid, just don't typically hear 4.74 and a highly recruited receiver. Thought it was actually a typo at first. RTB

Did a skim through some of the higher ranked WRs, 18th ranked Kobe Hudson is 6'1" 186 and has a listed 40 time of 4.75 and is committed to Auburn.

He looks like a good route runner. Five WRs? There are sixteen listed in this year's roster with only Tyler Johnson graduating. Which one of the players whose name is not bolded will step up next season? Will some of these be converted to other positions?
(Click on the names)

I'm thinking Van Dyne, he has a nice size speed combination. Saw him flash on one play this year.

Let’s cool on this 40 time guys. Who timed him? Who confirmed it? How legit? As well, 40 times usually improve as these guys mature and get into legit training. Let’s not make it more than what it is.

I’d believe the time less if we read 4.34. By the way, I actually ran a 4.34 when I was in high school.

Welcome! That shuttle time is elite and would have been the 3rd fastest at this year's NFL combine for wideouts. The young man is really quick. His vertical would be about 25th percentile of NFL ready talent. Strength and conditioning work can hopefully get the top speed up.
Of the two, having that quick step is more important. I'm all in on someone from the south who commits in weather like we had last week.

And he's got some size at 6' 5" 200 lbs.

I think Van Dyne stays at WR. From everything that I've heard, the staff is pretty high on him.

We will likely see some decommits and/or transfers from our group of WRs.

30 % of his catches are for TD's Looks shifty Cuts are clean on a dime Looks great

Great offer list, I too suspect that a 1 or 2 of these WR’s wind up elsewhere.

We’re going to have some serious competition for starting spots at WR. Especially for spots after Bateman. #2 and #3 spots could totally change. Autman-Bell is a lot of fun to watch and I think he’ll keep the #2 spot next year. But he could lose out to someone. Or the battle for #3 could be pretty sweet. I don’t see Douglas staying in the top 3.

He "ran a 4.74 40 yard dash"??? That's slooooow for a wr

Let’s cool on this 40 time guys. Who timed him? Who confirmed it? How legit? As well, 40 times usually improve as these guys mature and get into legit training. Let’s not make it more than what it is.

I’d believe the time less if we read 4.34. By the way, I actually ran a 4.34 when I was in high school.
What was your time after the first 20 yards?

We’re going to have some serious competition for starting spots at WR. Especially for spots after Bateman. #2 and #3 spots could totally change. Autman-Bell is a lot of fun to watch and I think he’ll keep the #2 spot next year. But he could lose out to someone. Or the battle for #3 could be pretty sweet. I don’t see Douglas staying in the top 3.

I’d be shocked to see Autman Bell lose out. I’d be surprised to see Douglas lose the 3 spot as well.

He has LSU and Brown. That says he's developed academically and athletically already. He'll fit in.
Funny to see you have developed academically and LSU in the same sentence!

Don't worry about the 40 time, acceleration in and out of cuts is what gets you separation and that shuttle time shows he has that. Jerry Rice was never really known as a burner in the 40 and he was a serviceable wide receiver.

I ran a 4.4 40 in HS, I'm still waiting for my first division 1 offer 35 years later!

That's how far we've come . . . . . . . . worried about 40 times. This kid had offers from LSU, Miami, Virginia, Iowa State, Kentucky, Maryland, NC State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Vandy, West Virginia, Cinci, BC etc.

That's how far we've come . . . . . . . . worried about 40 times. This kid had offers from LSU, Miami, Virginia, Iowa State, Kentucky, Maryland, NC State, Pitt, Rutgers, Syracuse, Vandy, West Virginia, Cinci, BC etc.

Some people always stress way too much over 40 times. I get it a little more at the NFL level where they are timing guys in controlled environments with top of the line equipment but you never really know what you are getting with high school kids measurements of things like the 40.

Kid has a really impressive offer list which means lots of schools looked at him and felt he could play. That is way more important to me then how fast he may or may not have run a 40 yard dash.

His tape tells the tale. He played against the fastest kids in the country.

(Click on the names)

will be a heck of a spring and fall position battle for these guys.

will be real interesting if any of these guys will change positions or transfer.

with so many options im guessing they will look to redshirt all of the incoming freshman.

in my bias opinion with Bateman and Bell we will still have one of the better WR duo's in the big ten. And a combination of Douglas, Adim-Madumere, Gibson, Brooks & Van Dyne battling for that 3rd WR spot I think we will be sitting real good at the position again.

will be fun to watch who can separate themselves

Top Bottom