Gophers receive a commitment from Connecticut defensive end Jah Joyner!

DanielHouse

Reaction score
The Gophers have received a commitment from Connecticut defensive end Jah Joyner. He was committed to Boston College, but flipped to Minnesota. He also held offers from Arizona State, Indiana, Georgia Tech, Nebraska and others. Joyner, the top player in Connecticut, signed his National Letter of Intent Wednesday morning to make it official.

The Gophers are continuing to add talented pass rushers on the defensive line. Joyner, a 6-foot-4, 225-pound defensive lineman, currently projects as a rush end in Minnesota’s defensive scheme. In the future, he could add some weight and play a couple different techniques. The quick-twitch athleticism and wingspan (83 inches) are two immediate takeaways when you fire up his film. He is explosive off the snap and bends the edge to sack the quarterback. There is one clip where he was asked to cover a tight end and ran step-for-step with him up the seam. Joyner was extremely disruptive and posted 13 sacks in 2019. Joyner’s overall film is some of the best I’ve watched from a Minnesota prospect in recent years. I’m really intrigued to see him develop with this coaching staff.

Here’s a look at his film:

Last edited:

He looks like an unholy terror. Interesting what this staff can do with him and the other studs being brought in.

I don't know the level of compitition he is facing, but this is clearly a man against children. Wow.

wow....that highlight clip was unfair.....lol.

looking forward to him being in maroon and gold.

He clearly had a size advantage over most of the lineman he was going against but dang he is quick off the ball. Very interested to see what he can do here. D-Line has been a massive area of need for quite some time.

This has been an absolutely amazing week for the Gopher football team. They are clearly riding a wave right now - next year's recruiting class just might blow the doors off if they can keep it up!!

With Jah signing we have moved to 26th in the country and 6th in the Big, ahead of rival Whiskey! Ski U Mah! RTB!

Beyond the impressive highlights, i just love the look of this kid. Got a pretty wicked visage when he smiles, sort of like Khal Drogo (for anyone who was a GoT fan).

Link? Not doubting you, genuinely curious.
It was very brief, when they added Kaden they jumped us again on 247.

Here is where it stands right now:

Sounds like a good one. How many stars?

Got it thanks! I was also following on 247 and I guess I never saw the pre-Kaden signing where MN was higher than WI.

It doesn't really matter anyway. We are 7th by virtue of the fact that they are ranking us based on 26 commits, while everyone behind us (except Maryland) has far fewer commits. Once they remove the three commits who didn't/couldn't sign with us, and as the schools behind us fill out their classes, we'll likely end up in the 9th-10th range. Even with no changes from other schools, and just dropping those three academic casualties from our score, puts us at 9th behind Purdue.

It doesn't really matter anyway. We are 7th by virtue of the fact that they are ranking us based on 26 commits, while everyone behind us (except Maryland) has far fewer commits. Once they remove the three commits who didn't/couldn't sign with us, and as the schools behind us fill out their classes, we'll likely end up in the 9th-10th range. Even with no changes from other schools, and just dropping those three academic casualties from our score, puts us at 9th behind Purdue.
Our average rating per recruit is still higher than Purdue, so I don't think we are gonna fall behind them. Also, some schools may not be filling out their rosters to 25 either.

Our average rating per recruit is still higher than Purdue, so I don't think we are gonna fall behind them. Also, some schools may not be filling out their rosters to 25 either.
We will most definitely fall behind them. As I stated, even with Purdue doing nothing else, we fall behind them. The 247 site has a class calculator function (https://247sports.com/college/minnesota/Season/2020-Football/Commits/Preview/). If you remove the three guys who aren't signing with us, we have a score of 197.51, well behind Purdue.

Comparing his tape to Kaden Johnson's tape......I'll take Jah in a landslide.

Tough to compare. Joyner played at a massive high school against what looks like decent sized offensive linemen. Johnson played for a smaller school in 4A against smaller competition. One would hope the ratings are based more on personal scouting at camps etc. vs. just highlight film.

Does he have a decent chance at getting significant playing time next year?

Awesome welcome to Gophers nation, Mr Jah Joyner. The ROW in the boat motor just added a lot more horsepower and speed! SKI U MAH and Go Gophers

Top Bottom