Gophers ranked #25 in the country by Selection Comittee

GameDay

Reaction score
I honestly didn't expect it, but it was just shown on the college football playoff rankings show on ESPN right now.

Good to know the committee is recognizing what Minnesota has been doing!

Rankings

25. Minnesota
24. Texas A&M
23. Utah
22. Georgia Tech
21. Duke
20. Wisconsin
19. Clemson
18. Notre Dame
17. LSU
16. Nebraska
15. Georgia
14. Arizona
13. Kansas State
12. Michigan State
11. UCLA
10. Ole Miss
9. Auburn
8. Ohio State
7. Baylor
6. Arizona State
5. Alabama
4. TCU
3. Florida State
2. Oregon
1. Mississippi State

I honestly didn't expect it, but it was just shown on the college football playoff rankings show on ESPN right now.

Good to know the committee is recognizing what Minnesota has been doing!

25. Minnesota
24. Texas A&M
23. Utah
22. Georgia Tech
21. Duke
20. Wisconsin
19. Clemson
18. Notre Dame
17. LSU
16. Nebraska

+1

Wow I did not see that coming

In addition, this will be the ranking that will show up on the tv for Saturday. Not a big deal, but kind of cool to see the 25 next to our names!

I changed my mind from a couple weeks ago and decided this is the only poll that matters.

We're 25 and we play 20, 16 and 8 in the next three weeks. Any other team play three other ranked teams over the next three weeks?

Ha, heck yeah. Good for ABC and the TV ratings I suppose

Fun to see. Saw it pop up while eating dinner at a bar.

But it was soooo frustrating watching the rest of the top 25. Stop trying to make it a weekly event. Just show the ****ing teams. Get over yourselves.

Seriously folks, take a minute on your phone and ask Siri "who is your favorite college football team?" You'll like the answer.

Seriously folks, take a minute on your phone and ask Siri "who is your favorite college football team?" You'll like the answer.

InyiglM.gif

Does it seem odd that Nebraska is as low as they are? I think the AP/Coaches polls have them more correct at 11... 16 (and, behind Georgia, Arizona, and UCLA..) seems a bit off for a team whose only loss is to MSU on the road.

I love that we're ranked, but again think the coaches/AP got it better having us just outside. The Illinois loss is still pretty bad and our best win is a very mediocre (or at least inconsistent) Iowa team. Had we not lost to Illinois I could see us 18-20. With it, 26-30 seems right.

In case anyone is interested

Top 25 vs. top 25 [in current rank order] for the rest of the season:

Nov 15

1 Miss St @ 5 Alabama
8 OSU @ 25 Minnesota
9 Auburn @ 15 Georgia
16 Nebraska @ 20 red weasels
19 Clemson @ 22 Georgia Tech

Nov 22

14 Arizona @ 23 Utah
25 Minnesota @ 16 Nebraska

Nov 29

1 Miss St @ 10 Ole Miss
17 LSU @ 24 Texas A&M
6 ASU @ 14 Arizona
9 Auburn @ 5 Alabama
22 Ga Tech @ 15 Georgia
25 Minnesota @ 20 red weasels

Dec 6

13 KSU @ 7 Baylor

Yes...Our Gophers are the only team facing another top 25 team each of the next 3 games. This is a ****ing fantastic time to make a statement!

Ski-U-Mah!

She says she likes the underdog, so she likes Minnesota. Siri always likes the #25 team.

Next game, every game, one at a time. It's college football, it can go anywhere.

Nebraska dropped 3 spots despite not playing and is behind multiple 2 loss teams. Husker fans probably aren't happy.

Nebraska dropped 3 spots despite not playing and is behind multiple 2 loss teams. Husker fans probably aren't happy.

Not only that, but Ole Miss beats Presbyterian and climbs a spot.

I think our success (or failures) the rest of the year could directly affect the playoffs. They talked about how TCU has beaten two ranked teams that is why they are ahead of Baylor. Of course we are one of those teams. If we go 0-3 the rest of the way, that could bring it down to head to head with TCU and Baylor.

In a way, I love the quote in Yahoo's Pat Forde article about today's top 25 listing - http://sports.yahoo.com/news/bizarr...ootball-playoff-rankings-020823791-ncaaf.html: "This may be the first time since the 1930s that the nation pays rapt attention to Minnesota football. That's a plot twist only soap operas and the selection committee could dream up."

Even though Pat is exaggerating for effect (I'm sure our two undefeated and national champion teams in '40 and '41, not to mention 1960, got plenty of attention), it does give us some pub (and still 11 am [but nationally televised] games).

Minnesota is getting a lot of mentions because of the CFP. Both the TCU and OSU angles.

Best case for the Gophers,

This week: #25 Gophers beat #8 OSU, #20 WI edges #16 NE
Next week: #17 Gophers beat #22 Nebraska, WI, MSU, OSU win
Two weeks: #13 Gophers beat #12 WI, MSU, NE win, OSU loses to MI, NE sneaks back into top 25
Three weeks: #9 Gophers beat #8 MSU

Gophers finish with 4-1 record vs. top 25

January: #4 Gophers face Alabama in Pasadena

Minnesota is getting a lot of mentions because of the CFP. Both the TCU and OSU angles.

Best case for the Gophers,

This week: #25 Gophers beat #8 OSU, #20 WI edges #16 NE
Next week: #17 Gophers beat #22 Nebraska, WI, MSU, OSU win
Two weeks: #13 Gophers beat #12 WI, MSU, NE win, OSU loses to MI, NE sneaks back into top 25
Three weeks: #9 Gophers beat #8 MSU

Gophers finish with 4-1 record vs. top 25

January: #4 Gophers face Alabama in Pasadena

I love your optimism, the Gopher have absolutely no chance in making the top 4, even if they blow out every single team from here to when the playoffs start. The Illinois loss practically killed our chances, however slim they were.

We should be ranked. There are 3 loss teams ranked and many 2 loss teams. We played poorly against IL, but did recover to take the lead. Without the fumble, we likely win and are a 1 loss team, with the only loss to TCU, at that point we would be about #14 in the country. If you flip the IA and IL game and we were #14 before losing to IL, I bet we don't drop out of the top 25.

per ESPN:

Welcome to the Top 25, Minnesota. The Gophers (7-2) are the fifth Big Ten team to join the College Football Playoff rankings this week. At No. 25, they find themselves almost as tangled up in playoff implications as any team in the nation this week. On Saturday, Minnesota hosts No. 8 Ohio State, the Big Ten's best remaining hope to land a spot in the playoff this season. A Gophers' win would severely damage the league's chance for a playoff bid.

One team that certainly will be cheering for Jerry Kill this weekend is TCU. The fourth-ranked Horned Frogs are ranked higher than Baylor (despite losing to the Bears, 61-58) because of a better nonconference schedule. A Minnesota win this weekend would make TCU's defeat of the Gophers in September an even stronger bargaining chip at the playoff table.

http://espn.go.com/blog/bigten/post/_/id/110810/big-ten-morning-links-69

Go Gophers!!

Wonder where we would be ranked if we would have just taken care of business in Champaign?

at that point we would be about #14 in the country

No, we wouldn't. Duke has one loss in a Power 5 conference (to 6-3 Miami) and is #21. Nebraska has one loss in a Power 5 conference (to #12 MSU) and is #16. We would be in the 17-20 range at best.

Duke lost to 6-3 Miami
Nebraska lost to #12 MSU
Minnesota lost to #4 TCU

Hmm.....I see differences.

Top Bottom