Gophers open as a 3 point dog

But they're playing a team that lost of Bowling Green.
So if you ignore those 2 clunkers, who has the more impressive resume?

So correct me if I am wrong but isn't this the perfect point spread for us? Pretty sure the last 2 times we were 3 point underdogs things turned out pretty well against Colorado and Purdue.

That is my view as well. I'm glad that the Gophers are underdogs for this game. In the three games where the Gophers have been underdogs (Ohio State, Colorado, and Purdue), they've played well. In the two games where they were favored (Miami Ohio and BGSU), they played poorly. It's a small sample but I hope that trend continues.

That is my view as well. I'm glad that the Gophers are underdogs for this game. In the three games where the Gophers have been underdogs (Ohio State, Colorado, and Purdue), they've played well. In the two games where they were favored (Miami Ohio and BGSU), they played poorly. It's a small sample but I hope that trend continues.
I think we need some +3 uniforms!

If you ignore those to clunkers you have a toss up type game.

Minnesota has beaten a decent team (Purdue) Nebraska hasn’t (best win northwestern)

Nebraska has played in 3 close losses to good teams. Minnesota has played in one medium loss to a good team. But I would count Ohio state as a pretty close loss considering It was a 7 point game mid 4th quarter.

If you are giving reward for quality losses. Nebraska certainly takes the cake.
If you are giving reward for quality wins neither has one.

If you count the clunkers. It’s probably the same: pretty close to a toss up. Hence the 3-4 point spread. If the gophers were playing a team named “Illinois” or “northwestern” with the same resume as Nebraska but a worse name…this game is probably a pick ‘em

Hard to say. Ignoring those clunkers, we are 3-1 and they are 3-3. However, all of their other losses have come against top 10 undefeated teams and they lost those three games by a combined 13 points which is one point less than our losing margin to our one top 10 opponent. Now, I do think Ohio State right now is better than any of their three top 10 opponents.

Nebraska's fundamental statistical team rankings in the conference are also pretty solid: a bit better on offense than defense but top half of the conference in both. Our defense is top half but our offense is solidly bottom half.

Hard to say. Ignoring those clunkers, we are 3-1 and they are 3-3. However, all of their other losses have come against top 10 undefeated teams and they lost those three games by a combined 13 points which is one point less than our losing margin to our one top 10 opponent. Now, I do think Ohio State right now is better than any of their three top 10 opponents.

Nebraska's fundamental statistical team rankings in the conference are also pretty solid: a bit better on offense than defense but top half of the conference in both. Our defense is top half but our offense is solidly bottom half.
OSU will torch Nebraska.
Iowa and Wisconsin will bloody them.

We would be their best win.
I don’t see them bowling.
I don’t either.
Even if they beat us.

Purdue
Ohio state
@wisconsin
Iowa

Good luck winning two of those. In Madison is their best shot at the second…Nebraska 1-8 vs wisconsin since joining conference. 0-5 away from home.

If they lose to MN, it’s over for frost:
No way they win 3 of those 4 to make a bowl.

I don’t either.
Even if they beat us.

Purdue
Ohio state
@wisconsin
Iowa

Good luck winning two of those. In Madison is their best shot at the second…Nebraska 1-8 vs wisconsin since joining conference. 0-5 away from home.

Agree that if they want to go to a bowl this is a must win game for Nebraska. They can beat Purdue, but those last 3 are going to be tough and don't see them winning more than one of those 3 at the most so a loss to us would essentially knock them out of bowl contention.

I don’t either.
Even if they beat us.

Purdue
Ohio state
@wisconsin
Iowa

Totally agree. If Bell is back for Purdue, they will struggle to beat them at home.

I think they would still keep Frost one more year even if they don’t go bowling.
Trev likes his Frosty.

I think they would still keep Frost one more year even if they don’t go bowling.
Trev likes his Frosty.
If Minnesota beats them and they finish 4-8…you still think that?

If Minnesota beats them and they finish 4-8…you still think that?
Trev has spoken about a lack of continuity in the athletic department. And that Frost is very close. They would have to be competitive loses.

Must win or else what?
Firstly, fan support, primarily students, will suffer. Once recruits come to campus and see empty seats, doubt sets in. When we read the comments from high schoolers about team support/atmosphere, you know it's a factor. Add in the fact that we're approaching November and the weather also becomes a factor in attendance. It's just another reason to justify not going to games for some.

A win this week and 9-3 is still a goal. A loss and the margin of error minimizes and 7-5 becomes a possibility.

Reading the Husker forum...they're pretty confident. I still am not convinced close games against Oklahoma and Michigan and MSU are a sign of Husker improvement or teams played down to the level of Nebraska.

Saturday should answer my question.

Firstly, fan support, primarily students, will suffer. Once recruits come to campus and see empty seats, doubt sets in. When we read the comments from high schoolers about team support/atmosphere, you know it's a factor. Add in the fact that we're approaching November and the weather also becomes a factor in attendance. It's just another reason to justify not going to games for some.

A win this week and 9-3 is still a goal. A loss and the margin of error minimizes and 7-5 becomes a possibility.

Reading the Husker forum...they're pretty confident. I still am not convinced close games against Oklahoma and Michigan and MSU are a sign of Husker improvement or teams played down to the level of Nebraska.

Saturday should answer my question.
So it isn’t a must win. If they lose people will think they’re worse. That is true every week. That doesn’t make it a must win

So it isn’t a must win. If they lose people will think they’re worse. That is true every week. That doesn’t make it a must win
So you don't think winning this week is a pivotable point in the season? This game was considered a likely win back in August. I know Vegas places odds to get as much $$$ bet as possible, but it still suggests the Huskers are the better team in their view.

I get some fans downplaying the importance of this game. Coaches love fans having low expectations.

But after the hype of this summer... this is a game the Gophs must win.

All the people hyping Nebraska are going to have to reconcile that they’re only 3 point favorites against a team that lost to bowling green
Yeah, but the 3 Pt Favs also lost to Illinois ... this game is rarely competitive. It's a blowout one way or the other. Typically in surprising fashion.

All I’m saying is Nebraska has been playing it’s best football (the last 4 weeks) since Frost got there. They’ve been playing pretty good, and if we beat them we’ll have played pretty good.
Nebraska has played very competitive games against OU, Mich, and MSU. All in the top 10. A win for the Gophers would be really solid here. An L for Nebraska would be pretty brutal, and a W would be a shoulder shrug.

This would feel very different if Mo hadn't gone down to injury.

The only way this is a must win is if you want any drama in the Big Ten West this year. Gophers need to run the table to the Iowa game to get any juice in the West going. Would love to see a 7-2 Gopher team take on undefeated Iowa for Floyd!
Must watch tv right there!

Martinez far better than Morgan is just ridiculous.
Morgan: 141 YPG Passing ... 52% Comp ... 4 TD's/2 INT's ... Rating 128 ... 4.2 YPG Rushing ... 145 YPG Total O

Martinez: 250 YPG Passing ... 66% Comp ... 9 TD's/3 INT's ... Rating 162 ... 64 YPG Rushing ... 314 YPG Total O

In 2019, Morgan was clearly better. In 2021, Martinez is clearly better.

It should be a good game. We love to shit on the Huskers in the Frost era but they have improved considerably since the start of the season. We have the potential to be a really good team but inconsistencies in O line play, unimaginative play calling, and key injuries have plagued us. I pray that Fleck and staff can come up with a decent game plan and get the boys pumped up for this one.
The Gophers and Huskers never seem to play one another when both are good, or both are trending up. They have yet to have an actually interesting matchup. It's usually just a blowout one way or the other.

Don't be surprised if Nebraska starts flat. Last Saturday was a Superbowl for them.
Competition in 2021 - Neb MI, OK and MN - OSU, CO - Push
Minnesota trying to reclaim magic of 2019 vs Neb trying to reclaim magic of 1980's - Advantage MN
QB in 2021 - Advantage Neb
Competition in 2021 - Neb MI, OK and MN - OSU, CO - Push
Ummm, what?? CO is 1-4
MN - OSU
Neb - Mich, OU, MSU

Neither team has a noteworthy win. Both teams have an ugly loss (Illinois & Bowling Green).

The only way this is a must win is if you want any drama in the Big Ten West this year. Gophers need to run the table to the Iowa game to get any juice in the West going. Would love to see a 7-2 Gopher team take on undefeated Iowa for Floyd!
Must watch tv right there!
I'd just love to see the Gophers beat Iowa period.

Top Bottom