Gophers Offer MJ Rhett - Tennesee State Transfer

mnsportsgeek

Reaction score
According to Jeff Goodman:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rhett said offers already from Oklahoma St, Wichita St, Memphis, Villanova, Miami, Ole Miss, Tenn, Ga Tech, Illinois, Minn, Texas A&M.</p>— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/statuses/446409972679602176">March 19, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Some of his stats last season:
10.9 PPG - 25th in Ohio Valley Conference
9.1 RPG - 5th in Ohio Valley Conference

He's a 6-8, 235 lb forward who played 32.7 minutes per game this season. He could come in and make an impact right away. Doogie says he is eligible right away. Also claims that an experienced PF is a target of Pitino in the spring, so that is refreshing.

He's got the body of a big ten athlete. He can grab a rebound, and he has some athleticism it looks like. Sign him up!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kfMXDpp7Avg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

According to Jeff Goodman:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Rhett said offers already from Oklahoma St, Wichita St, Memphis, Villanova, Miami, Ole Miss, Tenn, Ga Tech, Illinois, Minn, Texas A&M.</p>— Jeff Goodman (@GoodmanESPN) <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/statuses/446409972679602176">March 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Some of his stats last season:
10.9 PPG - 25th in Ohio Valley Conference
9.1 RPG - 5th in Ohio Valley Conference

He's a 6-8, 235 lb forward who played 32.7 minutes per game this season. He could come in and make an impact right away. Doogie says he is eligible right away.

How could he be eligible right away? I don't get it.

How could he be eligible right away? I don't get it.

graduate transfer rule it looks like. He was a RS JR last season. We've got some competition though: Oklahoma State, Wichita State, Memphis, Nova, and Illinois are all in on him.

You guys have not helped me with you "I think's" or "I'm guessing.." Still no answers that are legitimate.

You guys have not helped me with you "I think's" or "I'm guessing.." Still no answers that are legitimate.

The same way the 50-75 or so other seniors will transfer and play right away, he has graduated. Do I know that? No, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

The same way the 50-75 or so other seniors will transfer and play right away, he has graduated. Do I know that? No, but it seems pretty obvious to me.

No where has anyone said he has graduated and can become an immediate eligible based on that.

If Coach Pitino has offered, then he knows something none of us knows. Coach is no dummy.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Per <a href="https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN">@GoodmanESPN</a>, <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23Gophers&src=hash">#Gophers</a> have offered Tenn. St. transfer 6-8 forward MJ Rhett. Told Temple transfer Anthony Lee will aim higher than MN.</p>— Darren Wolfson (@DarrenWolfson) <a href="https://twitter.com/DarrenWolfson/statuses/446411460399628288">March 19, 2014</a></blockquote>

Go Gophers!!

Some tough competition. These grad transfers have become very attractive to teams. The good thing is we can sell a lot of playing time at PF.

Some tough competition. These grad transfers have become very attractive to teams. The good thing is we can sell a lot of playing time at PF.

We can all agree with that, but what does Coach P think about it?

graduate transfer rule it looks like. He was a RS JR last season. We've got some competition though: Oklahoma State, Wichita State, Memphis, Nova, and Illinois are all in on him.

Looks like it's down to us and Illinois. Those others are busy with some other tournament.:rolleyes:

He is a RS JR that means he has been in school for four years, he wouldn't be transferring if he wasn't getting his degree this spring, hence why he is eligible to play right away

He is a RS JR that means he has been in school for four years, he wouldn't be transferring if he wasn't getting his degree this spring, hence why he is eligible to play right away

I understand what you are saying, but there is still no proof that this is the way it is.

I know immediate play seniors are the way to go, but does Tennessee St seem like the program we want to poach from?

I know immediate play seniors are the way to go, but does Tennessee St seem like the program we want to poach from?

Would you have taken brown from high point last nights?

Don't be so elitist. We took a pf from drake last year.

Small programs groom a good player every once in a while. He won't be a game changer, but based on his stats and athleticism, I think he could at least contribute.

I mean Joey King pretty much equaled his stats at Drake in his first year here, so the transfer can be successful from a small conference. It's actually scary how similar his stats are between his year at Drake and his first year here are.

Look at the other programs offering.

Exactly. He seems to be a big enough transfer who is expected to make an impact to where Villanova, Wichita State, Memphis, Tennessee, Illinois, and others (including us) want him.

I just don't understand why Pitino would want an under-recruited player from a bad Ohio Valley Conference team.

There is nothing wrong with taking a mid major's best player where he would be you're 4th or 5th best

I just don't understand why Pitino would want an under-recruited player from a bad Ohio Valley Conference team.
Is this a joke? maybe because he averaged over 10 and 9 and would provide an immediate impact at our weakest position.

Is this a joke? maybe because he averaged over 10 and 9 and would provide an immediate impact at our weakest position.

Mathieu,_Deandre_Mug.jpg

:D

Some of you guys need to take a look at our roster before commenting.

From what I can gather of his good games against solid competition, this is what I got.

Wichita State: 16 pts, 11 reb, 3 blk
Tennessee: 14 pts, 5 reb, 3 blk
Belmont (1): 13 pts, 8 reb
Belmont (2): 10 pts, 19 reb
Hawaii: 11 pts, 12 reb

From what I can gather of his good games against solid competition, this is what I got.

Wichita State: 16 pts, 11 reb, 3 blk
Tennessee: 14 pts, 5 reb, 3 blk
Belmont (1): 13 pts, 8 reb
Belmont (2): 10 pts, 19 reb
Hawaii: 11 pts, 12 reb

After watching Tennessee stink the joint out against Iowa , anyone's stats against them should probably be disregarded.

Man, some people are really bad at picking up good jokes.

One would have to know that Morehead State and Tennessee State are in the Ohio Valley Conference. I would guess that's a small group around here. Haha. I get it now.

Top Bottom