Gophers not out of Big Ten West race, but Badgers now in control

Why do we need a 4 way tie? Just for drama?
4 way tie puts us into sub part one, where Iowa (W vs MN, L vs Wi, Pur) and Pur (W vs IA, L vs WI, MN) both drop out, leaving just us and WI left and we'd win H2H.

Not sure how that works. If we get in a 3 way tie with WI and Iowa, we would all be 1-1 in games with each other. Then go to tie-breaker #2 and and WI would be 5-1 in division and win the West. They don't eliminate Iowa at that point and go back to head to head.
Correct if Minnesota and Iowa had the same division record.
but if Iowa loses again they have a worse division record than both.
So wisconsin 6-3 (5-1)
Minnesota 6-3 (4-2)
Iowa 6-3 (3-3)

then they eliminate the bottom and go head to head for remaining two.

if Iowa and Minnesota had the same division record that was worse than Wisconsin…wisconsins wins division right now. But in multiple way tiebreaker they use tiebreaker to narrow it down to a two way tie if possible.

Not sure how that works. If we get in a 3 way tie with WI and Iowa, we would all be 1-1 in games with each other. Then go to tie-breaker #2 and and WI would be 5-1 in division and win the West. They don't eliminate Iowa at that point and go back to head to head.
I read it that way too. No way we get in unless we win out and Iowa lose two. In a 3 way tie we are out and Wisconsin beat Iowa and has the advantage of better percentage and head to head.

I read it that way too. No way we get in unless we win out and Iowa lose two. In a 3 way tie we are out and Wisconsin beat Iowa and has the advantage of better percentage and head to head.
False.
4 way tie we go.
3 way tie we go.

only a 2 way tie involving just Iowa does Minnesota not go provided they win the next two as part of the way getting to the tie.

Correct if Minnesota and Iowa had the same division record.
but if Iowa loses again they have a worse division record than both.
So wisconsin 6-3 (5-1)
Minnesota 6-3 (4-2)
Iowa 6-3 (3-3)

then they eliminate the bottom and go head to head for remaining two.

if Iowa and Minnesota had the same division record that was worse than Wisconsin…wisconsins wins division right now. But in multiple way tiebreaker they use tiebreaker to narrow it down to a two way tie if possible.
If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 8 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step (or sub-step), the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. If three or more teams remain tied after any step, move to next step in tiebreaker with remaining tied teams.

I think the bold means that if any two teams have the same division record it goes back to head to head. Wisconsin goes in your scenario above based on 5-1 division record.

or a 3 way tie with Purdue and WI

or just a tie with WI

So Iowa losing 2 games really helps
We have to get a 4 way tie. It would allow the first tie-breaker to eliminate Iowa and Purdue.

WI would be 2-1
MN 2-1
IA 1-2
Pur 1-2

in games between the 4 teams.

Then it would revert back to MN over WI in head to head.
This is correct and I think the only correct.

I was talked into thinking we win a 3 way tie with Iowa and wisconsin but upon review that’s not true

False.
4 way tie we go.
3 way tie we go.

only a 2 way tie involving just Iowa does Minnesota not go provided they win the next two as part of the way getting to the tie.
I was right originally and got talked into three way tie.

three way tie was right. It’s wisconsin unless Iowa isn’t a part of it.

the only way we win a tie involving Iowa is if it’s a 4 way toe

If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 8 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step (or sub-step), the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative. If three or more teams remain tied after any step, move to next step in tiebreaker with remaining tied teams.

I think the bold means that if any two teams have the same division record it goes back to head to head. Wisconsin goes in your scenario above based on 5-1 division record.
Yeah you are correct. I was saying this yesterday then somehow talked myself out of it today. I was right yesterday and wrong tonight.
The only tie with Iowa Minnesofa can win is a 4 way tie.

So need Iowa to lose two or it to be a 4 way tie.

If it is a 4 way tie with Iowa, Purdue, and minnesota I haven’t run the numbers. Would require two wisconsin losses, one Iowa loss, two Purdue wins, two gopher wins

4 way tie we go. Only need Iowa to lose once if Purdue and gophers can both win twice

3 way tie with Purdue, Iowa, and Minnesota…Minnesota also wins I believe

Meaning we don’t need wisconsin to win this weekend. And in fact, since I’d rather have Iowa go than wisconsin. I would like Nebraska to win this weekend

Remember when all these posters were certain that we needed Iowa to beat Wisconsin??????

;)

*cough* @stocker08 *cough* :D ✌️

Yes. We would have been in better shape at the time if Iowa would have beaten Wisconsin. I don't coach the team. We should have won the past two weeks.

So really.....with Iowa beating Illinois.....we almost need Wisconsin to beat Nebraska to keep our chances alive.

So really.....with Iowa beating Illinois.....we almost need Wisconsin to beat Nebraska to keep our chances alive.
Not necessarily. From what I heard, 3 way tie with Purdue and IA, we still go

What is the scenario(s) we get in?

Not sure what would happen if Wisconsin loses today. But let's just say that Wisconsin holds on and wins. We'd need to beat Wisconsin and Iowa would need to lose to Nebraska. We assume that Purdue beats Indiana.

In this scenario.....the Gophers would come out of the four way tie scuffle. It's not all that implausible.

Most likely scenario for us to get in:

WI wins today against NEB

Next week:
-We beat WI
-PUR beats IND
-NEB beats IA

That’s pretty realistic actually. I hate to say it but the least likely event in that scenario is us beating the badgers, but we can do it.
I agree although the Iowa staff seems to save some stuff for Nebby.. haven’t lost to them in 6-7 years but I wouldn’t be shocked if the betting line shows Nebraska as a favorite or Iowa as a smallll favorite.

Is there a scenario where Nebraska beats the badgers and we can get in?

Is there a scenario where Nebraska beats the badgers and we can get in?
Yeah.

We beat Wisconsin. Wisconsin 4 conference losses.
Purdue beats Indiana.
Nebraska beats Iowa.

Minnesota, Purdue, and Iowa all 6-3
Wisconsin 5-4

First tiebreak all 1-1 against each other
Second tiebreak division record eliminates Iowa (Purdue and MN both 4-2, Iowa 3-3).
MN beat Purdue head to head

If Indiana beats Purdue and Purdue is not involved in the tie our math gets bad.

Yeah.

Purdue beats Indiana.
Nebraska beats Iowa.

Wisconsin 5-4

Second tiebreak division record eliminates Iowa (Purdue and MN both 4-2, Iowa 3-3).
So it seems like this badgers buskers game is irrelevant in terms of what we need to win the division?

Yeah.

Purdue beats Indiana.
Nebraska beats Iowa.

Wisconsin 5-4

Thanks for this. So we don't need Wisconsin as part of the four way tie.

LET'S GO NEBRASKA!

Means Nebraska beat Wisconsin (in Madison) and Iowa, though.

We sure as hell can't pull that off. :cautious:

So it seems like this badgers buskers game is irrelevant in terms of what we need to win the division?
It is relevant in that I hate wisconsin. I don’t even know if it changes wisconsins math. Win against us and wisconsin wins tiebreaks against everyone I think

Oh I agree, a badger loss is always relevant
Actually I think that now we beat wisconsin and they are out. Whereas before if we beat wisconsin, Nebraska beat Iowa, and Indiana beat Purdue wisconsin wins the 3 way tie with us and Iowa

Top Bottom