Gophers Logan Cooley Is Coming Back For His Sophomore Season!

There will be a lot more "Hobey Baker" chants at Mariucci than there have been in the last 15 years.

The NIL thing is a bit odd. Pushing now when he's already back. And we know he won't be back for a third year.

How are they distributing it to the players?

Ideally the money could go into the James Hagens fund at this point.

The NIL thing is a bit odd. Pushing now when he's already back. And we know he won't be back for a third year.

How are they distributing it to the players?

Ideally the money could go into the James Hagens fund at this point.
On the topic of Hagens, is there any feel for where he may be leaning at this point?

Also, since this is a Cooley thread, are we believed to be the frontrunners for LJ Mooney?

Was always gonna be a one and done. Then got some great news of a 2nd year. Appears it will not be.

Teams that have won titles since the last Gopher title:
TeamNumber Since 03Years Won
4 (of 9)1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005, 2017, 2022
0 (of 9)1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
1 (of 8)1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016
1 (of 6)1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006
3 (of 5)1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012
1 (of 5)1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009
0 (of 3)1988, 1992, 1994
1 (of 3)1966, 1986, 2007
0 (of 3)1962, 1965, 1975
3 (of 3)2011, 2018, 2019

If Michigan wins the next one before UMN I'll be even more sick.

People acting like Moore + Rinzel + whatever others can get a team further than five players that could see NHL time next year (Knies, Cooley, Faber, Lacombe, Johnson). Laughable.

Even Eiserman-Moore-Snuggerud would not have the impact of 2022-23 Knies-Cooley-Snuggerud. Take off the maroon and gold glasses. This team just became a 6-10 team in the nation. And they have 12 forwards right now.

Teams that have won titles since the last Gopher title:
TeamNumber Since 03Years Won
4 (of 9)1958, 1960, 1961, 1968, 1969, 2004, 2005, 2017, 2022
0 (of 9)1948, 1951, 1952, 1953, 1955, 1956, 1964, 1996, 1998
1 (of 8)1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016
1 (of 6)1973, 1977, 1981, 1983, 1990, 2006
3 (of 5)1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012
1 (of 5)1971, 1972, 1978, 1995, 2009
0 (of 3)1988, 1992, 1994
1 (of 3)1966, 1986, 2007
0 (of 3)1962, 1965, 1975
3 (of 3)2011, 2018, 2019

If Michigan wins the next one before UMN I'll be even more sick.

People acting like Moore + Rinzel + whatever others can get a team further than five players that could see NHL time next year (Knies, Cooley, Faber, Lacombe, Johnson). Laughable.

Even Eiserman-Moore-Snuggerud would not have the impact of 2022-23 Knies-Cooley-Snuggerud. Take off the maroon and gold glasses. This team just became a 6-10 team in the nation. And they have 12 forwards right now.
You are right. We ought to just fold up the shop and say the hell with it.

Seriously... I am really disappointed too, but I am gonna root like crazy for my team, no matter who is in uniform when the season starts.

No one can do jack-shit about it, so you either move on or mope around like you tend to do.

No one can do jack-shit about it, so you either move on or mope around like you tend to do.
I just don't see things with maroon and gold glasses but rather with reality. Sure, if they make it I'll be there, but the probability just went from about 20% to about 5%.

I just don't see things with maroon and gold glasses but rather with reality. Sure, if they make it I'll be there, but the probability just went from about 20% to about 5%.
I am trying to avoid negative social media with these last couple days not being the best for the maroon and gold, but you're just creating arguments out of nowhere. No sane person is arguing that this team is not significantly worse off without Cooley, not to mention Knies and the 3 defensemen. People do want to remain optimistic and realize that this is still a very good hockey team. Are we still the national championship favorites? Absolutely not, but what's the crime in hoping for the best?

It always amazes me that certain people always have to look at the glass half full. I wonder why they even follow the team if the team makes them so miserable. The Cooley signing hurts, and makes the team look a bit different for this season. But, no one knows who will win the Frozen Four until April. Contrary to some peoples opinion, the team with the most 1st round draft picks rarely wins the title. This team will still be fun to watch and may not score as many goals as last year, but I still believe that they will be in the mix at the end. Best of luck to Logan, as it was a fun ride you took us on last year.

I am trying to avoid negative social media with these last couple days not being the best for the maroon and gold, but you're just creating arguments out of nowhere. No sane person is arguing that this team is not significantly worse off without Cooley, not to mention Knies and the 3 defensemen. People do want to remain optimistic and realize that this is still a very good hockey team. Are we still the national championship favorites? Absolutely not, but what's the crime in hoping for the best?
It's the overly positive people that push me to the overly negative place. Quotes like this I see:
"I applaud Bob for getting the roster to the point where losing the Hobey favorite barely changes the outlook on the season."
"Can you find me a better roster in college hockey?"

Really? BU, BC, and Michigan obviously have better rosters now. The Gophers are now in a group with UND, DU, Harvard, and maybe even MSU and uw this year.

Like I've said, they're a 5-10 team now, which is fine but the outlook has changed in a material way.

It's the overly positive people that push me to the overly negative place. Quotes like this I see:
"I applaud Bob for getting the roster to the point where losing the Hobey favorite barely changes the outlook on the season."
"Can you find me a better roster in college hockey?"

Really? BU, BC, and Michigan obviously have better rosters now. The Gophers are now in a group with UND, DU, Harvard, and maybe even MSU and uw this year.

Like I've said, they're a 5-10 team now, which is fine but the outlook has changed in a material way.
You took this news and felt the need to pull up a chart of all the programs who have won a national title more recently than us. That is weird and crazy. I don't think you're a bad guy, and I respect your knowledge and passion for the program, but it's exhausting reading your posts sometimes.

It's your right to post whatever you want and I know you're not breaking any rules, but man some of it is over the top IMO.

This just gave an opportunity to one of the young guys to step up. When he announced that he was coming back a few months ago we all had the rush of excitement, but I knew that until they were on the ice practicing, things could still change and now it has. Instead of Snugger and Cools having a new linemate, Jimmy now needs two new linemates. Curious how Motz will juggle the lines now, but I believe that if everyone puts in the effort we can definitely get back to the Frozen Four.

You took this news and felt the need to pull up a chart of all the programs who have won a national title more recently than us. That is weird and crazy. I don't think you're a bad guy, and I respect your knowledge and passion for the program, but it's exhausting reading your posts sometimes.

It's your right to post whatever you want and I know you're not breaking any rules, but man some of it is over the top IMO.
Look, the outright embarrassment of the third period and ten seconds of overtime in last year's Final is going to last much longer with the fan base than you think it should. This is how hungry the fans are for another championship. Lord knows I'm not gonna forget it.

Hockey is clearly like basketball where many players leave after one year or two. Going to miss Cooley. Hopefully someone will step up and make this team surprise people in the end. Remember it's what happens in April, not October. Let's let this team jell.

It always amazes me that certain people always have to look at the glass half full. I wonder why they even follow the team if the team makes them so miserable. The Cooley signing hurts, and makes the team look a bit different for this season. But, no one knows who will win the Frozen Four until April. Contrary to some peoples opinion, the team with the most 1st round draft picks rarely wins the title. This team will still be fun to watch and may not score as many goals as last year, but I still believe that they will be in the mix at the end. Best of luck to Logan, as it was a fun ride you took us on last year.
I think you mean "glass half empty."

Top Bottom