Gophers land George Washington transfer Jamison Battle

We don't need Fox. All that's going to do is cause another player to transfer or one of LOI signees to ask for a release. Guards, guards, guards from here on out, Ben!
If Fox is better than the guy who transfers out then so be it. And that wouldn't prevent us from getting guards as we'd have the same amount of scholarships available.

Tre Holloman was very active today on social media. Retweeted a gopher basketball tweet, and commented showing excitement on Jamison Battle’s Instagram post. Pretty exciting
Saw that, as well as Treyton and Fox commenting on post

Help me with this. Is Battle going to be competing for PT with Johnson? And Ihnen? If so, one or both will transfer.
Or will we have a lineup of Battle, Johnson and big (Robbins) then Gabe and PG?

It better be Ish or a comparable guard. We don't need Fox. All that's going to do is cause another player to transfer or one of LOI signees to ask for a release. Guards, guards, guards from here on out, Ben!

Anyway this is great news. They've been starting to announce a lot of transfer destinations and I was getting a little antsy about when we were getting our first one.
Wouldn't say we don't need Fox. Curry and Freeman are gone. Mitchell is likely gone and Johnson is an unknown.

Gophers land first recruit of the year and the Ben Johnson era has officially begun! Battle averaged 17 last year at George Washington as a sophomore. Battle, a former Delasalle Crusader comes home, and should create an immediate impact as a sophomore next year.
De La Salle Islanders... I think the De La Salle Crusaders are in Oakland.

Help me with this. Is Battle going to be competing for PT with Johnson? And Ihnen? If so, one or both will transfer.
Or will we have a lineup of Battle, Johnson and big (Robbins) then Gabe and PG?

I think the knock on Battle is defensively a bit. But I think the idea will be to hope he can guard wing players and play the 3 next to Johnson.

He played mostly PF at GW though I believe.

Wouldn't say we don't need Fox. Curry and Freeman are gone. Mitchell is likely gone and Johnson is an unknown.
Yes, I know Curry and Freeman are gone but we have two bigs coming in. Johnson said he was considering coming back and unless I hear differently I'm assuming he stays. I'm not a fan of getting rid of any of our front court players (including the incoming freshmen). As far as Mitchell, I'd like to see what he can do with a different coach. If he stays but doesn't do anything much, he can transfer next year. There are lots of existing bodies in the front court and I'd like to see who emerges in the rotation.

I've been watching these transfers religiously on Verbal Commits. There are lots of 4s transferring (seems like perhaps the most popular position in the transfer portal). If one of our potential 4s transfers in the coming weeks, I'm confident we could get another one. What there isn't an abundance of is quality point guards. Since we need two, that's a real priority.

I'm happy to see a quality player like Battle join the team. He appears to be more of a small forward type and we haven't had a quality one since Coffey's soph year.

Fox appears to be more of a 4 and as a RS junior he's more likely than not just to stay for one year. I'm certainly not against one year players but I'd like to reserve them for a position of acute need. Assuming Johnson stays, we could have Johnson, Robbins, Gabe, Gach, and another one-year transfer (maybe two) leaving. That's a lot of players to replace two years in a row for a new coach.

Did Johnson announce something or are people just assuming because he hasn't said he is leaving? Wondering if I missed something

BJ's best recruiting pitch right now is to go for the native Minnesota players that went to other schools and are now in the transfer portal -- telling them to "Come Home" like he did.

Battle at worst will be first guy off the bench next season. He could start next to Johnson or start if Johnson is gone.

Yes, I know Curry and Freeman are gone but we have two bigs coming in. Johnson said he was considering coming back and unless I hear differently I'm assuming he stays. I'm not a fan of getting rid of any of our front court players (including the incoming freshmen). As far as Mitchell, I'd like to see what he can do with a different coach. If he stays but doesn't do anything much, he can transfer next year. There are lots of existing bodies in the front court and I'd like to see who emerges in the rotation.

I've been watching these transfers religiously on Verbal Commits. There are lots of 4s transferring (seems like perhaps the most popular position in the transfer portal). If one of our potential 4s transfers in the coming weeks, I'm confident we could get another one. What there isn't an abundance of is quality point guards. Since we need two, that's a real priority.

I'm happy to see a quality player like Battle join the team. He appears to be more of a small forward type and we haven't had a quality one since Coffey's soph year.

Fox appears to be more of a 4 and as a RS junior he's more likely than not just to stay for one year. I'm certainly not against one year players but I'd like to reserve them for a position of acute need. Assuming Johnson stays, we could have Johnson, Robbins, Gabe, Gach, and another one-year transfer (maybe two) leaving. That's a lot of players to replace two years in a row for a new coach.
I doubt Pohto sticks and Johnson is 50/50 at best IMO. He will have offers to go somewhere that will win next year.

I will be surprised if we end up with 13 scholarship players. I'm not turning down someone of Fox's caliber right now if he wants to commit.

Did Johnson announce something or are people just assuming because he hasn't said he is leaving? Wondering if I missed something

He said late in the season that he was thinking of coming back to experience a real Big Ten season with fans in the stands. That's not a commitment of course but he certainly sounded like he was open to it.

Fox has a lower FT percentage than Shaq and shot under .200 from behind the arc last year. I'll take Ihnen especially since he has an additional year of eligibility.

Ihnen is a complete liability on offense. Fox shot over 62% from the field, Ihnen was 32%. Fox does exactly what Ihnen should do, but doesn't, and that's get to the rim with his athleticism.

Top Bottom