Gophers land George Washington transfer Jamison Battle

Baylor last night for example......They have 3 or 4 Marcus Carr level play makers and they believe in each other and make plays. On defense they defend together.
Question. What style do you prefer, one on on?

I don't see a scenario where Johnson or ihnen aren't studs playing D2...big ten basketball and intercollegiate sun or whatever it's called are worlds apart. Ihnen was par at best last year but that drop off is like D2 athletes playing me after sucking at the D2 level.

With that said can fox contribute here? Maybe...

There's a gap for sure, but it's not as gigantic as people make it seem.

Freddie Gillespie averaged 10 and 12 at DIII for two years, then ended up starting on a national title contending Baylor last season.

It's all in what you are truly expecting. Should we expect Battle to come in and average 17 ppg? No, but can we expect him to come in and play hard and help build a strong culture? Yes.
He will stretch the defense which will probably help in the middle and Kalschuer I wood guess.

Freddie Gillespie averaged 10 and 12 at DIII for two years, then ended up starting on a national title contending Baylor last season.
My playing days are pretty much ended now (in my mid 40's) but I played a ton of pick up ball at the U and played adult men's league ball until last year. My experience, having played with and against quite a few former D3 and D2 players and getting a few reps in against the Gophers back in the day, is that the biggest difference between a D3 and D1 player is athleticism. The D1 player is almost always bigger, faster, stronger. The D3 player might be just as good if not a better shooter, but athletically they can't match up against a D1 player. So if a D3 player has size and athleticism they would be more able to make that jump from D3 to D1.

I think his (Fox) style of play translates. His aggressiveness taking the ball to the hoop is something we currently lack. Will draw fouls and collapsing defenders which will provide kick-out opportunities for potential shooters.

My playing days are pretty much ended now (in my mid 40's) but I played a ton of pick up ball at the U and played adult men's league ball until last year. My experience, having played with and against quite a few former D3 and D2 players and getting a few reps in against the Gophers back in the day, is that the biggest difference between a D3 and D1 player is athleticism. The D1 player is almost always bigger, faster, stronger. The D3 player might be just as good if not a better shooter, but athletically they can't match up against a D1 player. So if a D3 player has size and athleticism they would be more able to make that jump from D3 to D1.
As I mentioned in a different thread, I think most D-2 basketball programs have a player or 2 that are capable of playing 10-25 minutes and contributing to a D-1 program. But remember, there is a wide disparity of quality and level of play among the 360 or so D-1 basketball programs. Being able to jump from D-2 or 3 to Grambling State, Idaho State or U.C. Riverside and getting significant minutes and big stats is a lot different than jumping to a Big 10 or Pac-12 or SEC level and doing the same.

Not saying that it can't or hasn't happened, but the Freddie Gillespie's are a pretty rare occurrence.

Try flag football against d1 players. How am I supposed to cover this guy?

I think his (Fox) style of play translates. His aggressiveness taking the ball to the hoop is something we currently lack. Will draw fouls and collapsing defenders which will provide kick-out opportunities for potential shooters.
If we have the shooters, I like that theory a lot more. By all accounts, Battle is a good start. Gach and Gabe need to step up. Hopefully more shooters will be added. If not, and they guys we have on roster can't get it done from deep, there will be more help in driving lanes and teams will dare our shooters to shoot so Fox won't have anywhere to go. Johnson's offensive schemes will play a large role as well.

Totally agree with that assessment. There are zero concerns with Fox's athletic ability. This is why I think he'll do well at the D1 level.

I am way older than you and was never particularly good at basketball, but I got roped in by a couple of buddies who were actually very good D3 players who played in Europe to get a membership at the old Salvation Army gym on West 7th back in the early-80s. There were a ton of good-to-very good players who played down there including some former Gophers and other D1 players. Even Chris Engler--who was playing in the NBA at the time--would drop in now and then. I would only get in games if they were short a guy and because I was one of the few lousy players who had the sense to stay out of the way of the better players. The thing I noticed first about top-level players was their first step. They had other athletic abilities that set them apart, but that first step would always put their opponent on their heels. When you have the initial advantage, the game gets a lot easier.

Fox can run the floor really well. It's difficult to judge how he'd do in the B1G because a highlight reel is just that: a highlight reel. But he clearly has the athleticism to play at the D1 level.

Question. What style do you prefer, one on on?
No. Most teams can't get the athletes with skills to go NBA style. We can't. Nope. We need to play with a system that helps players get open shots. I was simply commenting that Baylor was spreading it out and letting Mitchell and others go one on one....because that's the kind of guys he has. They just have a bunch of guards that can break you down off the dribble.

Totally agree with that assessment. There are zero concerns with Fox's athletic ability. This is why I think he'll do well at the D1 level.

He's also more polished than like a Jarvis. I think Parker Fox will be what we hoped Jarvis could have developed into. Sort of a junk yard dog type, athletic, not super skilled, but skilled enough to do something with his athleticism.

He's also more polished than like a Jarvis. I think Parker Fox will be what we hoped Jarvis could have developed into. Sort of a junk yard dog type, athletic, not super skilled, but skilled enough to do something with his athleticism.
This is what I was thinking as well.

He is (55% career) actually a better FT shooter than Jarvis (29% career), too!

TBD on his air guitar.

For the record, I loved Jarvis and hoped he would develop more. I would love to have Fox.

This is what I was thinking as well.

He is (55% career) actually a better FT shooter than Jarvis (29% career), too!

TBD on his air guitar.

For the record, I loved Jarvis and hoped he would develop more. I would love to have Fox.
Yeah, Jarvis was an easy guy to root for. If he works hard at it, I think his future is in the football.

I don't think Fox is done developing either. Different position but he's a lot like Robbins who wasn't recruited out of high school. They have a lot of natural size and ability, and are improving their basketball skills every year.

It's his defense that we should be recruiting. By all accounts he is an excellent defender. And also an exceptional athlete. Who cares what he does offensively. A guy that can give you 15 minutes or so a game and shut down another teams best wing or can guard in the post is huge.

Oh yes, sounds like he is SMART also. That is sorely needed around here.

I'll let the talent evaluators decide whether he has what it takes in the B1G. My concern is taking up a scholarship for more than a year. I think Ben needs to be all in on 22, and thus looking at a few more one year guys to fill out the roster next year. With everything in flux now, we might have nearly 100% turnover between this year and next year, though.

Call me concerned that most of the transfer pool we seem to be excited about are more than one year guys.

I'll let the talent evaluators decide whether he has what it takes in the B1G. My concern is taking up a scholarship for more than a year. I think Ben needs to be all in on 22, and thus looking at a few more one year guys to fill out the roster next year. With everything in flux now, we might have nearly 100% turnover between this year and next year, though.

Call me concerned that most of the transfer pool we seem to be excited about are more than one year guys.
The thing is EVERYONE is in the transfer portal this year.

There is MUCH more polished talent in the portal this year than all of high school ball. He flat out HAS to get some of them. Especially losing so much. Unless you want to go 3-25 next year.

This has almost become a joke to be honest. It is like free agency. How would you feel if you were a coach that spent 2 years recruiting a guy, he came and you worked with him for 2 years or so developing and then he dumps you for bigger and better things. Not the spirit of college athletics IMO.

By the way, I love the battle deal. Shooters. We need them. If I am Johnson that is my #1 concern going forward. You see how you win in the dance, it is by hitting the 3.

The thing is EVERYONE is in the transfer portal this year.

There is MUCH more polished talent in the portal this year than all of high school ball. He flat out HAS to get some of them. Especially losing so much. Unless you want to go 3-25 next year.

This has almost become a joke to be honest. It is like free agency. How would you feel if you were a coach that spent 2 years recruiting a guy, he came and you worked with him for 2 years or so developing and then he dumps you for bigger and better things. Not the spirit of college athletics IMO.
It's chaos now, but hopefully clarity of transfer rules will restore some type of order. I still like the transfer and sit rule. Let's make a change but at a price. If they are looking for freedom of movement, maybe they should also be held accountable for commitment on the LOI. Contracts go both ways, and lots of employers have non-compete clauses. College coaches are going to glorified AAU coaches where rosters might change frequently. Seems difficult to establish a culture with heavy turnover.

I'm pro one free transfer for a student with no conditions.
Fair enough. The limit might actually prevent impulse transferring and make them think about it some before jumping ship. What about grad transfer? How does that fit or does it go away?

Fair enough. The limit might actually prevent impulse transferring and make them think about it some before jumping ship. What about grad transfer? How does that fit or does it go away?
Id say one in total, including grad transfer

Top Bottom