Gophers in the portal

lol you might be right on that. Clearly I'm getting a little annoyed by the state of college football these days.
Don't get me wrong, I don't love the amount of transfers as a fan, but it's easy for me to say from my couch that a kid shouldn't transfer, when he packed up and moved hundreds of miles to come here in the first place. In an ideal world most kids would ride out 4-5 years at their original school. I just accept that this is how it is. We all saw how we benefitted from the portal this year too.

Don't get me wrong, I don't love the amount of transfers as a fan, but it's easy for me to say from my couch that a kid shouldn't transfer, when he packed up and moved hundreds of miles to come here in the first place. In an ideal world most kids would ride out 4-5 years at their original school. I just accept that this is how it is. We all saw how we benefitted from the portal this year too.
What's the transfer rate of non student-athletes? I agree it's hard to get used to but when Fleck says, last year has nothing to do with this year it's the truth. Most of our transfers have been predictable and not surprises. Far from home and not in the two deeps are all indicators.

We all like Boyd, but it did still appear he was at very best even with Wright, MBS, and Jackson, all of which have multiple years left, and if CrAB comes back then it would be unlikely that he would have a very large role next year. Judging by play time he was behind all four and 3 of them are the same class as him as far as eligibility left a believe. We have 9 wrs in that class according to 247, which is ridiculous as well.

remember, everyone gets one "free" transfer.

I still think there will be more transfers in the first few years under the new rules, and then things will settle down.

But, the transfer rule is part of the sport now, along with NIL. Players have more freedom now and they are using it.

What this means for coaches is that they have to really track what's going on with the bottom half of the roster. anyone who is not getting playing time is a potential transfer. they may have people back home telling them "you should be a starter; you need to transfer."

I suspect that any competent coaching staff is aware of this and has a good idea about which players are possible transfers. That in turn will impact decisions on recruiting - and especially about which positions to target if you want to add players through the portal.

the portal giveth, and the portal taketh away. Jack Gibbens - one of the best defensive players on the team - came through the portal. if you're going to complain about players leaving, don't forget about the players who came through the portal. and some of them brought Dr. Pepper!

remember, everyone gets one "free" transfer.

I still think there will be more transfers in the first few years under the new rules, and then things will settle down.

But, the transfer rule is part of the sport now, along with NIL. Players have more freedom now and they are using it.

What this means for coaches is that they have to really track what's going on with the bottom half of the roster. anyone who is not getting playing time is a potential transfer. they may have people back home telling them "you should be a starter; you need to transfer."

I suspect that any competent coaching staff is aware of this and has a good idea about which players are possible transfers. That in turn will impact decisions on recruiting - and especially about which positions to target if you want to add players through the portal.

the portal giveth, and the portal taketh away. Jack Gibbens - one of the best defensive players on the team - came through the portal. if you're going to complain about players leaving, don't forget about the players who came through the portal. and some of them brought Dr. Pepper!
Well said, players leaving is a bummer but I am excited to see who decides to come on board by way of the portal as well. We have had some good ones recently, especially on defense.

What great news might that be?

I'm assuming we are getting CAB back for another year. I'm not sure he would do a tease tweet to announce he is going into the draft. If I'm right, I'd call that supremely great news.

That would basically mean our offensive skill positions are looking very solid and we just need to see how the decisions on the OL shake out.

We all like Boyd, but it did still appear he was at very best even with Wright, MBS, and Jackson, all of which have multiple years left, and if CrAB comes back then it would be unlikely that he would have a very large role next year. Judging by play time he was behind all four and 3 of them are the same class as him as far as eligibility left a believe. We have 9 wrs in that class according to 247, which is ridiculous as well.
Here’s the deal man the portal giveth and the portal taketh away. Brady Boyd is a great young man trust me I know him really well kinda like family well. So he decides to transfer and people like you and many others will jump to conclusions. Fact is if we are being honest he like many other recruits are told things by coaches that sometimes just don’t happen. Listen I am an OU alum and fan and we have had guys transfer and decommit. So you know my thought is God Bless them and you move on. Minnesota will be ok and so will Brady Boyd.

Guessing this definitely has a bit to do with Boyd transferring. Hoping it's the great news I think it is.

Not going to doubt your twitter sleuthing but how does that give you any indication he plans to make an announcement about his future plans? :)

I mean that could literally be about anything. Now don't get me wrong, I hope you are right, just curious what else makes you think that is what this tweet is about.

I'm assuming we are getting CAB back for another year. I'm not sure he would do a tease tweet to announce he is going into the draft. If I'm right, I'd call that supremely great news.

That would basically mean our offensive skill positions are looking very solid and we just need to see how the decisions on the OL shake out.
That would be great if he comes back!

Correct, that is what I meant (thanks to @Dragon21 )
Thank you MplsGopher, I appreciate that. This is a great board, I have enjoyed posting here. And I plan to continue posting. Minnesota will always be special to me. And these are some of the best people I have ever interacted with. I don't know anyone personally, but Y'all are some really
good people. I hope I have never offended anyone with my posts and if I have my apologies.
Row The Boat !!!!

Here’s the deal man the portal giveth and the portal taketh away. Brady Boyd is a great young man trust me I know him really well kinda like family well. So he decides to transfer and people like you and many others will jump to conclusions. Fact is if we are being honest he like many other recruits are told things by coaches that sometimes just don’t happen. Listen I am an OU alum and fan and we have had guys transfer and decommit. So you know my thought is God Bless them and you move on. Minnesota will be ok and so will Brady Boyd.
What conclusion did I jump to?

Not going to doubt your twitter sleuthing but how does that give you any indication he plans to make an announcement about his future plans? :)

I mean that could literally be about anything. Now don't get me wrong, I hope you are right, just curious what else makes you think that is what this tweet is about.

I guess I'm taking some liberties here, but the fact that his teammate is replying with a smiley face makes me feel like it's football-related.

CAB coming back would definitely soften the blow of losing Boyd. CAB + Wright + Jackson + MBS + ??? could be a decent group if everyone develops well. Throw in the emergence of BSF and Kirk back running the show and we might have a decent passing game again.

What a fricken' clown. I mean what an absolutely stupid thing to say.
If that joke hurt my feelings so much it made me leave a school that I otherwise wanted to stay, I'd be pretty pissed at my mom for posting it on social media.

It's a weird joke, weird reaction, and weird facebook post.

You have no idea why this kid is transferring. By all accounts he was a good representative of the university during his time here. Kids transfer, it happens, get over it and don't bash them like this. You don't know that he didn't have some positive impact on the practice field, weight room, or in the community, but call his scholarship a waste. Shame on you.
There are only so many WR spots on any given play. You can't play six WRs at the same time. Some kids want to start right away. Some may even feel entitled to start.

I am a big fan of Brady Boyd. Good luck to him. We will miss him.

If that joke hurt my feelings so much it made me leave a school that I otherwise wanted to stay, I'd be pretty pissed at my mom for posting it on social media.

It's a weird joke, weird reaction, and weird facebook post.
We are in the age of helicopter, lawnmower and snowplow parents. If watching some of the parents of kids my kids went to school with are any indication, a Facebook post crying over your kid's mistreatment is only the tip of the iceberg. I saw a case a few years ago where a parent actively tried to destroy somebody's private business over a perceived slight of their kid. Some of these people are flat out lunatics.

The "joke" was about as stupid of an attempt at humor that I've seen, but the reaction isn't a whole lot better imho. When mommy or daddy feel compelled to fight battles for their college age kids (on a full ride scholarship no less), we are dealing with an entirely advanced species of coddled. I don't blame the kid for leaving, as it was a public vote of no confidence, even if it was a horseshit attempt at humor. But let the kid man up and forge his own path. No need for mom to cover for her grown-ass son anymore.

I'm bummed about Boyd leaving. I had visions on him being another Eric Decker...or at least kind of an Eric Decker.
Like I've said before, I'm not going to jump all over a kid for transferring. It's their decision and they're doing what's best for them...not us.
Best of luck kid, I'll be following your career.

I guess I'm taking some liberties here, but the fact that his teammate is replying with a smiley face makes me feel like it's football-related.

Speculation on another site that CRAB and some gophers are holding the axe and blowing the horn at the Vikings game tonight.

I'm actually hoping that is not it, and he is coming back.

Speculation on another site that CRAB and some gophers are holding the axe and blowing the horn at the Vikings game tonight.

I'm actually hoping that is not it, and he is coming back.
That's actually what I thought too.

@Dragon21 sorry to see your Nephew(?) go.

Any further read or details you care to/feel comfortable sharing?

I just guess I wonder ... why did he come up to Minnesota, if he was just going to end up back at a Texas school? Nothing wrong with giving it a chance. Did he feel like his true freshman experience didn't quite live up to what his recruiting made it sound like it would be?

Thanks for joining us, regardless.
I think Boyd would have been a very good B1G WR. I remain mystified why we burned his redshirt without ever really bothering to throw to him. I know the Ewers link-up opportunity is good enough reason to transfer, but if I were Boyd I’d have questioned how he was used as a freshman … to what end?

How do you know it was a waste? He saw the field quite a bit too. Just because he didn't catch a lot of balls doesn't mean he didn't have an impact.
I agree. He saw the field a lot. He didn’t catch a lot of balls because he had very few targets. But he worked himself open a lot. He did everything he could to contribute in the role he was given. Our former offensive scheme didn’t return the favor. Wish Boyd would have stuck around to see what would have happened with Ciarocca back at OC; I believe Boyd would have prospered. Plus, he is a good, solid kid. Can’t believe anyone would be curmudgeonly enough to say the scholarship was a waste. Jeez.

Last edited:

Top Bottom