Gophers in the NFL

They will resign him. TJ is not close to being a replacement yet.

Not the point. Bucs can't afford to pay Evans and Godwin. They pay Godwin what he is worth....and they are going to be cutting at other important places.

Not the point. Bucs can't afford to pay Evans and Godwin. They pay Godwin what he is worth....and they are going to be cutting at other important places.

Godwin is probably gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Brown signs a relatively modest one year contact with the Bucs because he probably needs any money he can get, and the Brady buddy/roomie situation is likely the only thing providing him any stability in his life to make sure he sticks around in the league long enough to collect his checks.

Godwin is probably gone. I wouldn't be surprised if Brown signs a relatively modest one year contact with the Bucs because he probably needs any money he can get, and the Brady buddy/roomie situation is likely the only thing providing him any stability in his life to make sure he sticks around in the league long enough to collect his checks.

Agreed. They can't afford to pay Godwin without going light at other positions. And with TJ and Miller currently sitting at four & five....they've got the depth to keep chugging. Sure....the WR group will take a step back....but they have to be considered for the best WR chart in the league right now. That's not sustainable long term.

If they don't keep Godwin and Brown they will sign someone cheaper to slot in as WR2 and TJ will try to jump over Miller to become WR3

Its great to have 3 players in the Super Bowl! I would guess that somebody has already done this but there were 7 Gophers in Super Bowl IV (with 40 man rosters). KC: Stein, Bown & Bell; Vikings: Eller, Hall, Sunde, Kramer.

Had forgotten Coach's connection to the Bucs.

Going to the Outback Bowl in 2019 had a lot of common threads. Ended up a pretty nice piece of cloth. Pretty cool.

Go Bucs!

Is it just me or is that a really odd fine amount? $7,815....I don't ever recall hearing of fines as anything but whole numbers like 10K or whatever.

Dumb that they are even fining him at all for it but maybe a fine is automatic for that kind of flag in a game.

Some mixed news relevant to Tyler Johnson came out over the last week. Godwin got the franchise tag, and Mickens was arrested on a felony gun charge. Evans is already signed, so the biggest question mark is now Antonio Brown. If Brown goes elsewhere, TJ is competing with Scotty Miller for WR3. If Brown comes back he will be in a similar situation to last year.

Some mixed news relevant to Tyler Johnson came out over the last week. Godwin got the franchise tag, and Mickens was arrested on a felony gun charge. Evans is already signed, so the biggest question mark is now Antonio Brown. If Brown goes elsewhere, TJ is competing with Scotty Miller for WR3. If Brown comes back he will be in a similar situation to last year.

Not a great situation for him if he is stuck in the WR4 role again but will be on TJ to make the best of it, learn what he can, and make the most of any and all opportunities that come his way. Plus, assume TB will be pretty good again next year so decent shot to go out and get another ring.

Not a great situation for him if he is stuck in the WR4 role again but will be on TJ to make the best of it, learn what he can, and make the most of any and all opportunities that come his way. Plus, assume TB will be pretty good again next year so decent shot to go out and get another ring.
If they sign Brown the Bucs will probably have the best WR roster in the league. Even without him they are sitting really good.

I still think that the Bucs are going to try to move Godwin. They can't afford to give him a big contract with Evans still there.

I still think that the Bucs are going to try to move Godwin. They can't afford to give him a big contract with Evans still there.
That would definitely be good for TJ, and we will see how it shakes out. I think a lot depends on what kind of money Antonio Brown wants. Evans costs $17 mm and Godwin costs $16 mm this year. A third elite receiver that costs another 10+ sticks would be an expensive luxury, and one of them might need to find a new home.

That would definitely be good for TJ, and we will see how it shakes out. I think a lot depends on what kind of money Antonio Brown wants. Evans costs $17 mm and Godwin costs $16 mm this year. A third elite receiver that costs another 10+ sticks would be an expensive luxury, and one of them might need to find a new home.
And figuring that out, and making it work is the difference between a good GM and Spielman.

It's not only about who they can sign.....maybe this year is ok....but TJ needs to be able to show his potential. If he gets buried and they give him little chance to play....will he resign with the Bucs?

He could be putting up numbers somewhere....and the Bucs went and got A. Brown to play in front of him.

It's not only about who they can sign.....maybe this year is ok....but TJ needs to be able to show his potential. If he gets buried and they give him little chance to play....will he resign with the Bucs?

He could be putting up numbers somewhere....and the Bucs went and got A. Brown to play in front of him.
Didn't Johnson miss a good portion of training camp with an injury? I think that may have contributed to the Bucs going and getting another veteran. With a full training camp and a year of experience, I can see Johnson taking a big step forward in 2021. He and Miller bring different skill sets to the table, but I can see both of them being productive. I'm a big fan of Tyler. I didn't see a lot of him from watching games last fall, but I remember him making a couple of really big catches in key situations.

Bateman is looking thiccc

Wow, he really is. I wonder how much of his 2nd opt-out was really about getting a jump on combine/draft training. Not that I would hold that against him given how the season was going. The extra conditioning could easily be worth millions if it lifts his draft stock event a modest amount. I hope he hasn’t lost a step with the extra muscle.

Wow, he really is. I wonder how much of his 2nd opt-out was really about getting a jump on combine/draft training. Not that I would hold that against him given how the season was going. The extra conditioning could easily be worth millions if it lifts his draft stock event a modest amount. I hope he hasn’t lost a step with the extra muscle.

Yeah he definitely opted out the second time to get a jump on training. There was nothing left for him to play for.

If he really can run a sub 4.4, he should be drafted no later than the middle of the 1st. Should be top 10 IMO. I wonder if he'll run at the pro day on Thursday?

Does anyone know when the Minnesota pro day is?

Didn't Johnson miss a good portion of training camp with an injury? I think that may have contributed to the Bucs going and getting another veteran. With a full training camp and a year of experience, I can see Johnson taking a big step forward in 2021. He and Miller bring different skill sets to the table, but I can see both of them being productive. I'm a big fan of Tyler. I didn't see a lot of him from watching games last fall, but I remember him making a couple of really big catches in key situations.

I think you may be correct on the training camp injury. We'll see. TJ made a couple really spectacular catches this past season. One being on a third down in a playoff game. The game sealing PI against GB (I believe) was a pass to TJ on third with a little over a minute remaining in that game. So Brady and the coaching staff clearly trust him in big situations. They are just really stacked at wideout.

Brady's all time TD pass record throw was to TJ as well.

Someone noted toward the end of the season that Brady should not throw to Johnson but near him.
Small sample size but Tyler's successes were catching what really were missed throws and drops/misses for what came straight at him.

Also, he was very much a blocker...both backfield and downfield...in their scheme, and did it well.

Top Bottom