GOPHERS HIRING BEN JOHNSON

That's not true. There was plenty of interest. This was simply Coyle's choice. He's going to have to live with it in the future, good or bad.
It's a hell of a choice, man. Talk about a high, high, high level of risk. If this doesn't go well, it might well be a job-ender for Coyle, and it probably should end it for him.

After going through 8 years of frustration with Pitino, to have whiffed on his successor by taking such a huge gamble, that would be very damaging to the program.

Wow, underwhelming hire. The key will be having some experienced assistants that can help Ben not be overwhelmed in his maiden voyage as a head coach. Coyle has certainly stuck his neck out there with this hire. In a few years he will be looked at as a genius or if this fails will likely bring him down for taking such a risk. Let's hope it works out spectacularly and we are all happy because the U cannot afford to have another whiff on a BB coach.

Still 100 percent correct

Well, yeah, I get he technically has a resume. He doesn't have a resume to be a Head Coach of a Big 10 school.

Of course diversity played a large factor. I think that goes without saying. It's not his fault. He got the job for an unimportant reason outside of his control. It's no different than saying Pitino got the job (partially) because of his name recognition.

A white version of Ben Johnson doesn't get this job. As far as your patience for this kind of discussion, I don't really care. Then don't engage with it.

Again, you're not going to guilt people into saying Ben Johnson was qualified for the job.
I'm calling out racism

Question his background, fine. Saying he has no resume and only a diversity hire is an insult to johnson.

He's got local connections, gopher alum, and history as an assistant coach.

He's got a lot going for him besides race.

He has a resume, not as a head coach, but does have resume.

Saying he's a diversity hire to appease liberal media is an insult to Johnson.

I have no patience for it
Do you think Johnson is qualified and was on Coyle s list?

Coaches are hired to win and build the program, not to look good on paper for old time fans. Coyle going for young, hungry and energetic. There's risk involved sure, but probably more upside than a lot of the names that have been thrown around. Recognition for not trying to win the press conference. Go Gophers.

I'm okay with this hire and I'm on board with Johnson. I appreciate Coyle taking this calculated risk. Let's get behind Ben! Pitino was lauded just simply cause his last name was Pitino. I think he had 1 year of head coaching experience. So let's give Ben a chance.

You've mentioned that twice now. Got a source for it?
Jeff Goodman said he interviewed and did not get the North Illinois job. Which looks bad for the hire.

Another thing I will mention. Not that it's their job but guys like Amir and Oturu love this hire, they need to help out then. Guessing a talk from Oturu couldn't hurt with Holloman or Amir giving Aligbe a call.

Serious question - why doe the above bolded matter??
Goes back to the days of Lou Holtz... I think. That's as far back as I go with it, anyways. The idea is that one of us wouldn't bolt for the next best open position, but instead stay the course and lead Minnesota to the promised land.

Do you believe diversity was a consideration? If so how much of a consideration?

This hire appears diversity was a big piece.
I think Coyle hired him because he liked him as a person, teacher, and coach, and being a U of M guy an M club member. I personally doubt that a diversity candidate had anything to do with why Coyle hired him. Maybe his superiors had that thinking, the mayor, or the Governors office but personally I don't think Ben being bi-racial or part African American had anything to do with why Coyle hired Ben Johnson.

Yeah. Let's be honest Richard got the job because of his last name which is a form of affirmative action.
Yep. "Old Fashioned" Affirmative Action. Where you get that job because of who you knew or who you were related to. 😊

I'm calling out racism

Question his background, fine. Saying he has no resume and only a diversity hire is an insult to johnson.

He's got local connections, gopher alum, and history as an assistant coach.

He's got a lot going for him besides race.
You’re calling out boogeymen

Well, yeah, I get he technically has a resume. He doesn't have a resume to be a Head Coach of a Big 10 school.

Of course diversity played a large factor. I think that goes without saying. It's not his fault. He got the job for an unimportant reason outside of his control. It's no different than saying Pitino got the job (partially) because of his name recognition.

A white version of Ben Johnson doesn't get this job. As far as your patience for this kind of discussion, I don't really care. Then don't engage with it.

Again, you're not going to guilt people into saying Ben Johnson was qualified for the job.

He had a foot in the door because he was an assistant here that Coyle knew personally. Saying that he wouldn't have been considered if he were white is a pathetic and regressive mentality that is an unfortunate one that is shared by too many others on this board.

I know what I say here will not influence anyone one way or the another but here goes. I resisted commenting until I had a chance to think it through. I think Coyle decided to risk big for a home run. Niko or Smith were safe picks with a track record, but Coyle, for whatever reason, didn't see them as home-run hires. Who knows why. Don't believe he could get Muss, not enough money here.
Though surprised and underwhelmed, this may work out. If you look at the responses to the kids that played here-Coffey, Otero, Shell, Hurt, they all are extremely positive. Maybe they know something we don't.
I do agree that the assistants he hires will be huge. Maybe Thorson, keep Conroy, add Miles or another experienced assistant and, who knows.
Rooting for Ben and team. Coyle laid his nuts on the line, will say that.

I can absolutely say the process was a disaster. He hired someone without a resume. I hope he does well, I actually rooted for Xavier the last few years partially because of him, but when a Big 10 AD hires someone without a resume, the process was a disaster.
Please post a link that shows a blank resume for Johnson.

You may not like the choice. I may not like the choice. But a reasoned and patient and thought-out choice is a good process, whether or not the results are something you agree with.

But go ahead and keep not understanding what the word process means.

Coaches are hired to win and build the program, not to look good on paper for old time fans. Coyle going for young, hungry and energetic. There's risk involved sure, but probably more upside than a lot of the names that have been thrown around. Recognition for not trying to win the press conference. Go Gophers.
And if it's another miserable failure it will cost Coyle his job....The odds are stacked for the latter given the program's history.

Do you think Johnson is qualified and was on Coyle s list?
He was obviously on coyles list.

I don't think he was hired because they needed a diversity hire.

Lots of anguish about mn losing mn recruits, coyle got a guy connected to local recruits and endorsed by local basketball community.

I'll agree gamble, but appears direction we're going

He wasn't in my top 5, I'm all in though.

Top Bottom