GOPHERS HIRING BEN JOHNSON

Not according to this report...on Dutcher. FWIW. Smith was my favorite for many reasons. Proven success at multiple stops. Midwest ties. X and Os guy, etc. however he wouldn’t have filled seats. That’s why my whole point was that were so far gone from the Clem Days that any season ticket holder is a die hard or was from that era. No ones buying new season tickets for Smith even. I get it Johnson is underwhelming on paper. It is. Fact. However, I do firmly believe Coyle vetted multiple local ties and more than likely there’s a plan in place for assistants. You don’t hire an unproven HC unless you like the idea of the potential staff around him. That’s always part of the interview process.
Yet again the problem with a completely unproven coach is how much time do you give him?....3 years, 4 years, 8 years like Pitino?....The remaining fan base will be impatient with Ben after two years of medicocity/failure.....An established coach would have more equity.

Yet again the problem with a completely unproven coach is how much time do you give him?....3 years, 4 years, 8 years like Pitino?....The remaining fan base will be impatient with Ben after two years of medicocity/failure.....An established coach would have more equity.
I think if you make any hire the minimum is 4-5 years. You have to allow a full turnover of a roster with his scheme and integration of recruits. This isn’t professional sports where you can judge from two years as there isn’t free agency or a draft. If that’s too long for some or yourself I’d say collegiate Athletics is not for you. Do I expect signs before that? Yes. However, that’s a fair bar for most college programs that are not blue bloods. Especially one with as little success as we’ve had.

I think if you make any hire the minimum is 4-5 years. You have to allow a full turnover of a roster with his scheme and integration of recruits. This isn’t professional sports where you can judge from two years as there isn’t free agency or a draft. If that’s too long for some or yourself I’d say collegiate Athletics is not for you. Do I expect signs before that? Yes. However, that’s a fair bar for most college hires. Especially one with as little success as we’ve had.
Basketball is completely different than football...Guys have been canned after 2 years as basketball coaches...Much easier to establish a program in a shorter period of time in bball than football.

I think if you make any hire the minimum is 4-5 years. You have to allow a full turnover of a roster with his scheme and integration of recruits. This isn’t professional sports where you can judge from two years as there isn’t free agency or a draft. If that’s too long for some or yourself I’d say collegiate Athletics is not for you. Do I expect signs before that? Yes. However, that’s a fair bar for most college programs that are not blue bloods. Especially one with as little success as we’ve had.

Your point stands, but the free transfer portal does make it a little closer to free agency though.

This is where I'm at. I wanna get on board and I'm gonna try and force myself into it but it's a disappointing hire, it just is.

Medved was my baseline hire and he would have taken the job, no question. Smith was a fantastic candidate, sure not a home run, but extremely solid, he would have taken the job as I have heard from a poster I trust.

It's just a bad hire. To take this amount of risk when you have candidates like Medved and Smith, whom I feel very confident saying would have taken the job, is just a bad move. It does hurt as part of the fanbase here.
+1,000

Basketball is completely different than football...Guys have been canned after 2 years as basketball coaches...Much easier to establish a program in a shorter period of time in bball than football.
The only thing worse than a sub-par tradition in a Great conference is a program with a short leash and no historical success to back it up.1982. Last B1G title. If we’re not willing to have a longer leash than the premier programs the candidates will continue to dwindle. We’ve seen from the last two coaching searches that clearly this opening isn’t as valued as we’d like to believe it is. It hurts to say, but it’s true at this point.

Your point stands, but the free transfer portal does make it a little closer to free agency though.
Sure, that certainly helps and is a new wrinkle to the game. The portal and potential guys transferring home is the only reason I think this may work. Provided he assembles a staff that can “coach.” Even still I’m not sure I want to build a program like Hoiberg on transfers. So I’ll meet you in the middle with 4 years

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you don't know what a strawman is do you?

What? You and the other keyboard athletic directors weren't going to hire one of the best possible basketball coaches? Could have fooled me. So knowledgeable. Totally know the inner workings of the athletic department.

Coyle gets paid a lot of money to make these decisions and you can be sure that he consulted his boss before the deal was done.
There were at least two variables, one was who wanted the job and the second was is there enough money to hire a more experienced candidate.
These are hard times.
More experienced candidates wanted the job and were in the budget. Those are not excuses.

I think Smith wanted the job, but the AD told him he had to hire Johnson as an assistant. Smith then said I’m out.

Total speculation on my part and I’m trying to read between the lines.

I think Smith wanted the job, but the AD told him he had to hire Johnson as an assistant. Smith then said I’m out.

I think this has potential merit. With that said, than I’d have interviewed Medved with the same terms. Both those situations I like more than this one. Assistant coaches are going to be instrumental in the success or failure of this hire. You have to believe Johnson has a good idea of his staff for Coyle to pull the trigger on it.

In this era of college basketball, a full roster turnover can occur in 2 years. Frankly, if we're not in the NCAA's by year 3, we'll know all we need to know.

In this era of college basketball, a full roster turnover can occur in 2 years. Frankly, if we're not in the NCAA's by year 3, we'll know all we need to know.
A full turnover sure, but hard to win with underclassmen in the B1G look at the teams in the tournament. Very veteran teams. If you’re bringing in top notch class’s you can win sooner, but I look at Iowa, Illinois, WI, Rutgers, etc. all veteran squads. It took underwood and McCaffrey three plus seasons to turn around Illinois and Iowa. They were terrible for multiple seasons. Patience paid off.

I think Smith wanted it. I doubt he was told who to have on his staff. He just wasn't offered the job. Coyle made his choice. A bad one, IMO. But I hope to be proven wrong.

A very salty Gopherhole today. I was surprised by the Ben Johnson hire but wow, a little taken aback by the venom. I’m a Gopher fan, I bleed it. Ben is the coach of my team so I’m all in. As Ken Kesey once said “ Now, you're either on the bus or off the bus.” I’m on the bus. It’s not even a tough call.

I think all of us are on the bus and are cheering for Ben to succeed. I think at the same time it is also fair to be mystified how an 8 year asst at below avg programs got a head coaching job in what has been regarded as the top conference in the nation. Possible to do both.

Last edited:

I think Smith wanted it. I doubt he was told who to have on his staff. He just wasn't offered the job. Coyle made his choice. A bad one, IMO. But I hope to be proven wrong.

From what i read, he was suppose to interview tomorrow or mid week. So Coyle didn't even give him a chance to interview if the articles timeline are correct

This hire just reeks of the administration telling Coyle who or the type of candidate he had to hire. If so, then if I’m Coyle I’m looking to leave before this experiment potentially crashes and burns and tarnishes his image.

This is a B1G University. We have to compete with the Big Dogs in every game. Izo, etc could careless if you want to turn over your program to a "nice local" guy with no HC experience. And how many of this local kids are going to continue to be mercenaries for the local school if he can't coach? How many of them will now chose the U over Duke, Zags, etc just because they know the head coach? ZERO! Ben may end up being a good head coach, but a B1G school should not have to take such a huge gamble. Let the smaller schools do the gambling, we just pick them up when the get hot.
There will not be that many Duke level recruits on a consistent basis. These things go in cycles. There is no Suggs coming next. There is not a Chet after Chet. Ben will find solid players that fit his culture wherever.

There will not be that many Duke level recruits on a consistent basis. These things go in cycles. There is no Suggs coming next. There is not a Chet after Chet. Ben will find solid players that fit his culture wherever.
What is his culture and team identity going to look like?

Yep. If we were going to hire a young alum, why not Ryan Saunders? At least he’s been a head coach and could say “I know what it takes to get you to the show.”

I do not understand this hire.
He was absolutely terrible in the nba. Hey you sucked up there, so let's give you a shot here. No, no way. Terrible take

A full turnover sure, but hard to win with underclassmen in the B1G look at the teams in the tournament. Very veteran teams. If you’re bringing in top notch class’s you can win sooner, but I look at Iowa, Illinois, WI, Rutgers, etc. all veteran squads. It took underwood and McCaffrey three plus seasons to turn around Illinois and Iowa. They were terrible for multiple seasons. Patience paid off.

Those guys were proven head coaches elsewhere first.

People are already out of patience after giving Pitino 8 years.

Possible but I don’t see it. You don’t tell successful and experienced head coaches who to hire. That would a major red flag for the candidate. You can, however, tell an unproven low profile candidate that there are parameters to work in for hiring. A lot easier to tell Ben who to hire than Smith.

Top Bottom